PDA

View Full Version : I'm having a nightmare!

gemstar
9th Jun 2009, 10:28
This will sound really stupid but I have had a bit of a brain fart lately, I have a check ride tomorrow and I've been away from radar for a while so my phraseology is ropey at best. (Been spending a lot of time in ADC). ATSOCAS is all new to me and I've been concentrating so hard on that, I seem to have mislaid the basics, mainly the order in which you say things. Help me out please with handovers (prenoted and unprenoted) and prenotes, I'm a mil controller by the way. I know what to say but always get it back to front, and I'm spending too much time thinking about it so my controlling is slowing down. Thanking you in advance (hanging head in shame for not being able to find my trusty phraseology handbook!)

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
9th Jun 2009, 10:58
Don't know if you chaps have Local Competency Examiners, but that's who I would turn to if I was in that predicament.. Good luck and watch out for Iris (or maybe she's long retired?!)

cottam approach
9th Jun 2009, 19:37
Consult the JSP

Cows getting bigger
9th Jun 2009, 19:49
It's been a few years ('bout 15 although I'm assuming nothing much changes in the military) but here goes with an unprenoted:

"Cottam Approach"

"Leeming approach, handover UHF transit VYT123"

"VYT123"

"Linton 020 26 miles squalking 1234"

"Contact, squawk 4567"

"4567. FL80"

"FL80"

"Hawk, en-route Lossie, Traffic Information"

"Hawk, en-route Lossie Traffic Information. VYT123 identifeid contact Cottam Approach 234.5"

"234.5. Leeming Approach"

Standing by for loads of flak about long winded etc but, in reality, the whole lot would take less than 10 seconds. The prenoted (although I always thought prenoting was a waste of time) would be:

"Cottam Approach"

"Leeming approach, handover VYT123"

"VYT123"

"Linton 020 26 miles squalking 1234"

"Contact, squawk 4567"

"4567. FL80 traffic information"

"FL80 Traffic Information. VYT123 identified contact Cottam Approach 234.5"

"234.5. Leeming Approach"

Good luck!!

Grabbers
9th Jun 2009, 20:03
You have a check ride tomorrow? You have either:

a. Been assessed as 'ready' by Unit trainers in which case, relax and control as though you are alone and no-one cares about any minor phraseology infractions; or:

b: Reached your hours and it is a mandatory 100% or 150% check and you still don't know the basics. If this is the case then try to relax (a lot of us have been there), stay focussed on remaining safe and do your best. Best of luck. :ok:

Let us know how it goes.

gemstar
11th Jun 2009, 19:09
Thankyou for the helpful advice about consulting the JSP, it's a shame I didn't have a copy lying about at home when I posted the question. The checkride today didn't go entirely to plan, partly down to me, partly down to low traffic levels...but hopefully I'll be ready again soon...I just need more practice.