PDA

View Full Version : Qantas Cabin Crew Service Desk Closed

packrat
7th Jun 2009, 10:41
Some genius has decided that the Service Desk on QCC1 should be closed.
This is another cost cutting measure.Probably saves $120,000 a year.
This desk and the girls that ran it provided a very important interaction point between CC and the company.Any information you required about anything could be provided by the Service Desk.The service desk has been an integral part of the Crew environment for over 40 years.Its longevity a testimony to its relevance and importance.
Now its gone.
There was no notice provided to the BOS desk and the product centre who all of a sudden have been expected to fill the void.
No notice ,no training.... just a void.
No one is sure how to put together a trip folder or the information that it should contain.
Running late for sign on?....ring the service desk and let them know and they would advise the CSM.
Now its computer based sign on.
So if you are a CSM and your sign on time is 1400 expect to be at QCC1 at least 1.1/2 hours earlier .Dont expect to be paid.
How many companies require employees to provide at least 12 hours of
free work?
Start doing the work at sign on time and maybe someone will pay attention.
Cabin Crew are being distanced even further from their employer.
A remote workforce has just been made more remote and more disengaged.
The stupidity in Cabin Services Continues.
The only good news lately is the demise of the "Badge Bandit" CSM.
Another goose Kharma caught up with.
Hopefully Kharma will catch up with a few more

argusmoon
7th Jun 2009, 10:57
Sign on late or on the weekends and you dont have to interact with any of the buffoons.
Need to know anything and the girls always had the info at their fingertips.
Now you cant talk to anybody.The administration of the place is about to come apart.
Product centre is closed at 1800 and doesnt operate on the weekends
Arent airlines a 24 hour business.?
Qantas isn't
But hey they've saved a few bucks.
Next thing some moron will suggest closing all check in desks.
Passengers will then have no interaction whatsoever with Qantas
Qantas:The Flying Telstra.
Qantas proud to provide the lowest possible standard of service to passengers and employees alike.
Qantas we dont talk or interact with anyone.
People are not our greatest asset.The recorded message is.
Please hold.

OCCR
7th Jun 2009, 13:23
something has to be done about the closure of the desk.
CSM's are having to come in early to get things set up!
I think they should sign on as per normal, things would start to fall apart fast.

Why oh why didnt they get rid of the people at that useless centre of excrement! Audrey and her bunch are totally useless, if they went no one and I mean no one would notice.

GalleyHag
7th Jun 2009, 18:20
Dont get me wrong ok I dont want to see anyone loose their job. However any information you may require is available via qf.com if you are late for sign on sorry but unless its an accident or late transport its really our responsibility to turn up to work on time.

A $120K package will save some of our jobs. 40 years ago yes a service desk was relevant we just need to adjust and move with the times things are going to be more automated and CSM's are sadly going to have to take more responsibility for the their management role.

There are levels and levels of cabin crew management that can be slashed and its beyond me why LG didnt slash and burn and bring back PDS's and Line Managers as they are already paid and no extra cost is required.

Its a brave new world where if you want information or support qf.crew will be your source and your csm and css will have to be on ball to answer any tricky questions.

BOS is clearly going to have to deal with everything but LG clearly thinks thats not a problem. I really feel for everyone loosing their jobs in our department but we cant just pick and choose what suits us guys.

P.S. Domostos please tell you got long haul you DESERVE it soooo very mcuh.

stubby jumbo
7th Jun 2009, 21:59
....the only positive thing about venturing onto QCC/1 were the folks on the Service Desk.

They were helpful ,cheerful and for the most part very professional.

So -WHY-would you make these positions redundant????

ANSWER= No one gives a ****e!

The clowns responsible for this action should hang their collective heads in shame. How do they expect us to deliver service on board when the service levels to us are pathetic?

Eg:

People Connect-useless , Operations-generally uninterested, "Management Team"-appalling, Staff Travel-grumpy, Cashier- care factor zero, BOS-depends on the person -not consistent..........I could go on !!!

So now the CSM's have to come in and do their own Blue Books and get Flight info from the poor coot in the baggage room.

GIVE ME A BREAK !!!

I agree -lets bring back Line Managers et al. Declare this Crew Connect farce instigated from Mark Hassell ( Who??) an unmitigated disaster and move on. In the mean time the damage done by all this could never be measured in some Engagement Survey.

Contrary to what Heads Down ( has he gone?) espoused on another topic......sure the Perth Base had its critics, however, the years between 2000-2004 were among the best I have seen, due largely to ( deep breath)-MANAGEMENT who actually delivered service and support to us. In fact, I recently had on a LAX flight .... the previous PER Line Mgr . He told me that after 24 yrs he is taking VR......'has had enough ! Another good one gone.

This draconian HR approach ( slash, trash and nuke !) will come back to bite in the future. More and more people ( as in QF friends/customers) are consciously avoiding flying Qantas and flying TG,SQ and MH due to the perceived gap in service delivery.

But all of this does not seem to worry the people at the top.

Arrogance is a very dangerous trait- just take a look at GM.:uhoh:

Higs
7th Jun 2009, 22:39
Welcome to the real world.

Isnt this "professional pilots rumour network"??

stubby jumbo
7th Jun 2009, 23:05
.....maybe so Higs

How would you respond if you went to your Dispatch desk to be told:

DUE TO CUT BACKS-THERE ARE NO DISPATCH OFFICERS-DO YOUR OWN THING-GOOD LUCK.

V-1 ............rotate.

OCCR
7th Jun 2009, 23:06
galleyhag
The role of a long haul CSM is very different to the domestic purser.
as we have crew from many bases complexing for one trip the details that the service desk provided was invaluable.

Sunfish
7th Jun 2009, 23:18
Cabin Crew are being distanced even further from their employer.
A remote workforce has just been made more remote and more disengaged.

....the only positive thing about venturing onto QCC/1 were the folks on the Service Desk.

They were helpful ,cheerful and for the most part very professional.

So -WHY-would you make these positions redundant????

Time for the lecture on formal and informal leadership....

My guess is that there are Three reasons these positions were made redundant.

1. They fixed things for people. That upsets the managers who screwed things up in the first place because it shows them up.

2. They were a seen as a barrier to change. Why use QF.com when there are humans to fix things for you? In fact why have QF.com at all. That offends the people who built the software and the Managers who authorised the system. "I will force you to use my system by removing any (better, quicker, more convenient and simpler) alternatives".

3. They are the "informal" managers of the place. They know what is going on and how to make things happen. Formal managers often can't do this and they hate it when someone shows them up.

To put it another way, these girls were efficient, productive and didn't need managing, therefore they were a threat to the hierarchy.

You never thought being good at your job was a sin did you? Think again. In a dysfunctional organisation being good at your job and requiring little management is dangerous. Learned helplessness, continually asking for your managers attention and hanging on their every word is so much better from the managers perspective. You need to be good boot lickers.

funbags
7th Jun 2009, 23:27
Gosh you guys are boring.

Handbags at 10 paces again.

Has there ever been a CC thread which has been positive? :ugh:

I've got something positive to say about CC. I paxed the other day on the 380, and the CC I have to say were fantastic. Well done. QCCA I guess! Bring on more of them. :ok:

OCCR
8th Jun 2009, 01:11
stalking the CC threads again funbags!
wont the pilots play with you:{:{:{

mrpaxing
8th Jun 2009, 06:33
the FAAA doing about it? it appears the CSM/CSS now can turn up at least one hour earlier trying to collect all the info for their trips. wonder if they going to get paid for it, dont hold your breath!
Rumor has it we are loosing another FA on the airbus? I suppose SR wants more CC on the A180:ugh:

DEFCON4
8th Jun 2009, 06:50
They start fiiddling with Crew Complements and the Quality of service will plumb new depths.
In bad times wouldnt it be better to offer more service(more crew)rather than less?
Qantas Limbo....how low can we go?
The closure of the Service Desk has been implemented by someone in management who has no clue as to what the Desk did.
They are about to find out.
Its about time CSMs drew the line and let the babosos know.
Start work at sign on time and not a minute before.

funbags
8th Jun 2009, 08:55
Same old response OCCR. You must be such a boring person to live with. I even compliment the CC and you still complain. Mind you I complemented the QCCA crew, not the old dinosaurs like you. Bring on the QCCA crews, young fresh faces and get rid of the old dinosaurs. Then the passengers might actually compliment QF service! Perish the thought!

What do they say about QF flight attendants..........they are the second best in the world. Who's the best?????????????

Everybody else!!:eek:

Bad Hat Harry
8th Jun 2009, 09:09
Perhaps you should become an FA.sounds like you would be fantastic.
Oh wait.
You need interpersonal skills,empathy,work well within a team and posess a sense of humour.
You also need to be tolerant,accepting and have well developed listening skills.
Funbarf you wouldnt get through the front door.
With your attitude you will never get a command except on a freighter flying rubber dog **** out of Shanghai(love that line so appropriate).
Funbarf does not play well with others.But he does play well with himself.
Sorry Mods.Funbarf is such an easy target

OCCR
8th Jun 2009, 10:40
heh heh heh......I always laugh at fungusbags posts.....

It doesn't dare comment on the pilots threads as they will laugh at it!
even they do not respects its thoughts!!!!!!!!!!!heh heh.....

so! IT sits in his boring little room and gets excited when the cabin crew post things that have nothing to do with it.

so..... continue with your comments fungabs....... i can see that it makes your day.......we must seem so exciting to you!

remember to be careful with your other past time as it leads to blindness:uhoh:

twiggs
8th Jun 2009, 11:06
The funny thing is that you two took the bait and wasted 5 minutes of your life replying.

OCCR
8th Jun 2009, 11:08
yes I know that twiggs......but its so much fun replying to funbags....plus its late at night here and its boring tv.....

argusmoon
8th Jun 2009, 11:13
You wasted 30 seconds being an arbiter

OCCR
8th Jun 2009, 11:17
heh heh heh,,,,,,, very good argus!
love that .......louise!

jungle juice
8th Jun 2009, 13:01
Twiggs,
What do you think about the service desk going the way of the dinosaurs?

twiggs
8th Jun 2009, 13:57
I'm going to be lost next time I need a tie pin or button.

Pegasus747
8th Jun 2009, 14:05
well from my perspective the girls did a lot more than pins and buttons. I think that in many respect they were the fabric that held things together, they provided a friendly face, advice on matters that BOS and out alleged managers could not offer.

they would cover for you if you made a mistake, they would pass on a note about a friend travelling to the crew, they would let you know if someone was running late.

Park your car for you if you were late or arrange for your wife to collect the house keys if you had taken hers by mistake.

They would arrange your passport and your visa and many more things.

You cannot measure there loss in terms of buttons and pins in my opinion.

Personally i would take a pay cut to keep them. and multiply that pay cut by ten to get rid of a CCM

DEFCON4
8th Jun 2009, 14:19
Twiggs you have said some stupid and inane things in the past but that last trite remark indicates your total lack of neurons.
Peg has once again nailed it.

ditzyboy
8th Jun 2009, 21:34
Please do not take this the wrong way (really!) but everything you have described the Service Desk did for you (Peg and others) our BOS teams do, at domestic. While I have found BNE BOS to be quite 'frosty', PER and SYD BOS I think are outstanding. They have always gone beyond their actual role to assist me and others, from what I hear. Handing out Oneworld pins, help with forms, answering questions, running special errands if you were desperate. In PER they were known to run people's cars down to the car park.

BOS always did the trip folders for regionals (I am assuming they are the SAME blue folders that LH use - or do you get better ones? :O). SYD and PER base had the bulk of regionals for a few years so it isn't like they handled just one or two a day.

This poses a serious question. If your Service Desk were so fantastic (and it sounds like they were) what did BOS do?

It is absolutely a shame that these staff have loss their jobs? Is there any chance of redeployment for those affected?

packrat
8th Jun 2009, 22:35
Longhaul is more complex to run than domestic.
Bigger aircraft
More crew
More remote workforce
Greater time changes
More time spent with passengers.
If we have BOS why then do we Cabin Crew Team Managers?
That would have been a better question.
Bring back the Service Desk

lowerlobe
8th Jun 2009, 22:37
When I was flying the service desk was pivotal in what that floor did or rather was supposed to do....

That was to enable cabin crew to do their job......

Twiggs' last post typifies the thinking of the office and why they closed the service desk down.....

It shows that a lot of people in the office and the company have no idea of what really works and what is needed to run an airline....
I'm going to be lost next time I need a tie pin or button.
Is anyone here who has worked as cabin crew really surprised at that statement?

ditzyboy....I thought the BOS desk was more of a political appointment in Sydney L/H at any rate.The people there were there more for their own reasons that that of a purpose to help crew.....

To get the CSM's job you have to be seen in the office and to be playing the game.Although the office called it networking we had a different name for it........:yuk:

It did not mean the best person got the job but it did make the office dwellers feel better about themselves....:oh:

funbags
8th Jun 2009, 22:52
Here's a novel idea.

Get to work on time.
Park your own car.
Organise your own passports/visas.
Pass your own note to a crew.
Wipe your own noses!

Do you need someone to hold your hand all the time? :ugh:

OCCR
8th Jun 2009, 22:57
ohhhhhhhhh my god!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I actually agree with funbags!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! nooo help.

(apart from that! the service desk did provide essential services that CC simply don't have the time to do! such a retrieve flight infor from the system.
I personally have never heard of them parking someone Else's car, if it did happen it must have been once!
However......it sometimes astounds me how unorganized some CC can be.

lowerlobe
8th Jun 2009, 23:05
Here is a post from funbags.....Has there ever been a CC thread which has been positive?
This is very funny because he seems to have a memory problem.Here is one of his very rare posts about a pilot issue.......
Ian,

Please don't bombard us with your rhetoric here on Pprune.

The EBA was defeated by a huge majority, not one or two people.
Funbags.....what were you saying??????

If funbags spent as much time on pilot threads as he does trolling cabin crew threads he might actually have some credibility.....

But after seeing how few posts he has made on pilot issues I doubt he is really a pilot....well now at any rate.

Funbags....was that you who had the altercation in the foyer of the crew pub in Narita?

It was your sort of style.....:E

However OCCR....you are dead wrong as well as funbags....

Have the techies never rung the chief pilot of their fleet because they couldn't do a sim or sector check because of personal problems?

or they had some other problem they had to get sorted out and needed someone in the office to help with.....of course they do and funbags is as usual full of it....

By the way I have seen the service desk help out with things that were way out of their job description but they did it happily

Ka.Boom
8th Jun 2009, 23:06
Since Funbags is not in a relationship and never likely to be the Despatch Desk on QCC2 acts as a surrogate wife.
Funbags is more reliant on "the Wife" than he will ever admit(or know)
The Service Desk was an important administrative touch point.The product centre(what a misnomer)is useless and the BOS desk is for the fear of flying club or those that have fiamilies and need to be home.
Ops have already seen a spike in enquiries and the BOS desk is finding out how little it knows about the day to day administation of Cabin Crew.
The BOS desk will soon need three people to be effective.Thats one more than the Service Desk required.
The BOS desk is more expensive(and less effective) to run than the Service Desk ever was

ditzyboy
8th Jun 2009, 23:22
Longhaul is more complex to run than domestic.
Bigger aircraft
More crew
More remote workforce
Greater time changes
More time spent with passengers.
If we have BOS why then do we Cabin Crew Team Managers?
That would have been a better question.
Bring back the Service Desk

I am not getting into one of those pointless LH vs SH p1ss1ing matches - it ain't worth it. None of what you have listed has anything to do with the points I raised or the functions of a BOS Desk. Sorry, but it doesn't.

Why is it when someone, diplomatically, voices an opinion that differs to your own there is the same band on here that, predictably, go on the attack? I have been posting on here for over five years longer than yourself, Packrat, and I am getting tired of the bitter, catty or downright nasty posts when someone disagrees or has a different idea. Your post doesn't even make sense! I understand you are angry at change but please direct your angst elsewhere. Get the message.

We have lost Base Crewing at SH. These men and women are an intergral part of the lives of most cabin crew (casual and reserve mostly), yet the only bleating to be heard are the concerns for our colleague's livelihoods and hopes for redeployment.

The role of BOS and CCTMs are completely different. What on Earth do BOS do at LH?

Lowerlobe -
I am not sure about LH, but at SH BOS is only run by CSMs and the majority keep putting their name down to do it as they enjoy the role. Some are junior CSM who like the stability of the BOS hours, as opposed to Reserve Line.

OCCR
8th Jun 2009, 23:30
Lowerlobe....
please don't misunderstand my post, the service desk provided an unbelievable service and its very unorganized at the moment and they are sorely missed.
The people that will miss them the most will be the CSM's as they were pivitol in organizing all the documentation before the flight and a myriad of other important things.

However what that idiot funbags was referring to is quite correct.
I saw on many occasions crew use the service desk girls for the most mundane things! so its true what he said,
they can put notes in other peoples files by themselves
they can park their own car.
they can find their own keys
they can go to uniforms and get their own buttons.

the disappearance of the service desk doesn't affect the average flight attendant at all, they still sign on at the computer and go to briefing.
Looks like they now have to remember to bring in their mailbox keys as there will be no one to let them in anymore!

A Comfy Chair
8th Jun 2009, 23:31
Is there one of these "Service Desks" for the Melbourne Longhaul CC?

OCCR
8th Jun 2009, 23:37
yes there was someone there to organize things and get the blue folder made up.

ditzyboy
8th Jun 2009, 23:38
OCCR -

With arranging trip folders and having spare buttons that is what BOS do at SH. I am very curious to find out what BOS actually does at LH?!

Ka.Boom -
If BOS already had two people and they need one more, aren't they still saving one person in total (assuming there was two on the Service Desk)? And assuming BOS are also crew (at SH they are CSMs only) this means they are also available to be utilsed in other departments (line flying, product and service etc.).

BOS works really well at SH. I think BNE and MEL LH already use BOS as the 'Service Desk' due to the combined base with SH. It is terrible that people are losing their jobs. But the whole company is affected - not just cabin crew.

packrat
8th Jun 2009, 23:38
I have no problem with change.CC have accommodated change since Qantas began carrying passengers .Its the nature of the industry.
I do not accept stupid decisions.
Nor do I accept domestic flight attendants making comment about LH issues about which they know nothing.
Closing the service desk was a stupid stupid decision.
It has nothing to do with change.The service desk for many Crew was the happy helpful face of their employer.The only face.
When was the last time Webster showed her face in the Crew area.How many people even know what she looks like?
Management are nothing more faceless shadows making stupid stupid decisions without understanding or considering the ramifications.
Closing the service desk is not about change.Its about gross stupidity
There is now no interaction whatsoever between CC and their employer.
An outstanding way to run a company whose business is people....or it used to be

funbags
8th Jun 2009, 23:40
Lobey, back to retirement and the lawn bowls green. We might ring our fleet manager to change a sim session due to personal problems. But I wouldn't be ringing him to park my car, mind my keys or get me a new tie!!!!!!!!

There's somethings you have to take responsibility for yourself. Like getting to work on time!

surfside6
8th Jun 2009, 23:46
You are domestic.This is a LH concern.
All you are displaying is your ignorance.You are both misinformed and uninformed.
Service desk girls never parked anyone's car.
To do that they would have to leave the desk unmanned.The transport guys have once or twice parked a couple of pilot's cars and a few CC cars.The rest of that inane commentary is someones imagination

ditzyboy
8th Jun 2009, 23:50
Packrat -

Nor do I accept domestic flight attendants making comment about LH issues about which they know nothing.

Care to back up that statement? You have no idea about where I have come from and the experiences I have had.

You are yet to address why BOS cannot perform the role of the Service Desk - like they do already in MEL and BNE and SH.

The service desk for many Crew was the happy helpful face of their employer.The only face.

Just like Base Crewing and BOS for SH. We are losing Base Crewing. But perhaps you wouldn't understand about that "because you're Long Haul"? I wouldn't be so narrow-minded and ignorant to make a baseless comment like that, though.

Can you honestly say your posts on here are rational and objective?

packrat
9th Jun 2009, 00:05
I try not to make comment about domestic issues except where they impact on me.If you start spouting off about issues that affect me then be prepared for some criticism particularly if you dont know what you are talking about.
Comparing domestic to LH is always going to be provocative.We did without domestic commentary and intervention for 78 years.Domestic didnt matter then and they dont matter now
The loss of the service desk is indicative of the incompetence of the current cabin services mismangement coterie.Many of these twits are either Kiwis or ex domestic.
The stupid pieces of plastic on coffee makers is just another example of the micro managing morons that run the joint.
I wont make any comments about domestics.Dont make any comments about Longhaul.
Get it?
Got it?
Good

funbags
9th Jun 2009, 00:11
packrat, your above post shows the typical arrogant, elitist LHCC members attitude that we all know and hate. How dare anyone comment on LH issues unless you have been in 30 years. Bring on the QCCA crew....pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

OMG, I've never read anything like it. Domestic don't matter you say, well maybe you could take a leaf out of their book (and QCCA) and actually provide a service on the aircraft, and just occassionally smile. Service, look it up in the dictionary. It's your job. No wonder customers are leaving us in droves to go to other airlines. :{

packrat
9th Jun 2009, 00:15
Funbags missed out again on Grab A Granny Night at his local pub.
Back to your prong boofhead

ditzyboy
9th Jun 2009, 00:15
That's funny, Packrat. You recently STARTED a thread on domestic issues.

Comparing domestic to LH is always going to be provocative.

It will be with an attitude such as yours.

And I wasn't making comments about LH. I was disussing my point of view in an open forum. We domestic (and Link crew) enjoyed posting on Pprune and in the Cabin Crew forum before provocative people like you came along.

My comments and questions were quite valid. I will will not be intimidated by your negative and bitter ramblings. So stop wasting bandwidth and ignore my posts if they mean so little to you.

Get it?
Got it?
Good.

A Comfy Chair
9th Jun 2009, 00:47
There are a lot of people here saying that "oh, shorthaul is different to longhaul, you wouldn't understand what they do".

The shorthaulers are saying that the desk isn't necessary in their shorthaul ops, and are asking why it is so important in Longhaul.

So far, there has been nothing but excuse, abuse, and "you wouldn't understand". The closest we've got is that the LH CSM's need to come in earlier to arrange things. Thats fine, and something that needs to be sorted out, however why wouldn't a combined role at the BOS work like it does in Melbourne?

How about some here just stop with the divisive crap and answer some of the perfectly reasonable questions.... WHY would adding another position to the BOS desk, and giving them the combined duty of both roles, not

1) work and
2) be more efficient for all involved?

There is no point saying "the BOS desk are unfriendly and useless, the service girls are friendly". Its crap. The question is, are appropriate alternatives going to be put in place, and if not, then those ACTUALLY affected (ie LH CSM's) need to ensure they take appropriate action to ensure they can perform their job satisfactorally.

OCCR
9th Jun 2009, 01:45
ok!!!!!!!!!!! time out......

Domestic and LH are different that's why they have different names.

each I suppose has their own unique qualities.

Anyway, back to funbags! so Its on the same bandwagon again, stalking and peering at CC threads....

Now funbags your comments are as valid as us saying that all LH QF pilots think that they are far superior to their jetstar collegues!
By the look of the threads on this forum that is the impression they leave behind.
So get off your high horse and go back to your favourite pastime ( the one that can turn you blind):=:=:=

qfcabin
9th Jun 2009, 03:04
Slam?? Sound of thread close.

Tempo
9th Jun 2009, 04:15
This is great stuff! Thank god for the lockable flight deck door...keeps the workplace and kindergarten separate.

mrpaxing
9th Jun 2009, 04:16
lets get factual, ladies & gentleman.
Mel & Bne & Per have very limited international flights and 2 at the BOS desk.
Syd LH has many more departing flights, especially mornings and on weekends. The 2 guys at the BOS desk are already strechted to their limits ( and they do a bloody good job i might add). Syd Bos desk deal with most international queries from CSM/CSS/BFA/AC re local and international issues. They have become by defacto our engine room to provide all operational support (used to be via ops but all the new kids up there have no bloody idea). All internationals emails/icans go via them and there are plenty in numbers vs. the state bases.
No bagging of anyone but it cartainly cant be compared between bases and domestics.
Comy Chair mentioned "There is no point saying "the BOS desk are unfriendly and useless, the service girls are friendly". Its crap. The question is, are appropriate alternatives going to be put in place, and if not, then those ACTUALLY affected (ie LH CSM's) need to ensure they take appropriate action to ensure they can perform their job satisfactorally".
Not that easy as every manager in the fish bowl has no idea what to do about it and the unions are as usual totally useless. I believe once again the BOS desk has to sort out the stuff up of management:ugh:
Domestic CSM's get paid for coming in early LH doesn't.:yuk:

ditch handle
9th Jun 2009, 04:25
Quote-

"Domestic CSM's get paid for coming in early....."

Do they?

mrpaxing
9th Jun 2009, 06:17
read it:ok:

bulstrode
9th Jun 2009, 06:19
Therw were/are no alternatives put in place to fill the gap left by the closure of th service desk.In short no forward planning.LH CC have been slowly and methodically ostracized from the business over the last five years.There is now no real point of contact between employees and employer.The fish bowl is in no way a desirable point of contact .Their role is strictly punitive.
This is why the service desk's role was crucial.The guys at the BOS desk have been inundated by enquiries that were normally taken care of by the desk.OPs similarly have been inundated with enquiries.This is the crux of the problem.No forward planning.No transition period.It is not clever to remove something that been a function for over forty years overnight.it will take months for things to settle and information and systems altered.
In the mean time chaos is the order of the day.This is not management.Its incompetence.This is not the way to re engage 15% of your workforce
Its not the fact that it was done.Its the way in which it was done

flyergirl
9th Jun 2009, 07:13
one obm email saying 'by the way'.... does not cut it. There could have been much better communication and as we do not have access (even BOS often dont) to the systems that were available before it will be interesting to see how it pans out....yes, we are big boys and girls, and we will cope, but remember it was the WAY it was done that most are upset about.

Agreed on the pay for coming in earlier thing. If the job still has to be done, then by definition it is not 'redundant' is it!!:confused:

blade.runner
9th Jun 2009, 07:28
As a long Haul flight attendant there are two sources of frustration and anger.
The first relates to the incompetence of Cabin Services Management.The implementation of the service desk closure is a perfect example
The second relates to the manner in which the Domestic FAAA conducts itself .
It is continually heard"we all do the same job why cant we get on".The reason we cant get on is that the Domestic FAAA continually attempts to undermine LH CC negotiating position with Qantas.The last 5 years is evidence of the deceit they have displayed.Just when the wounds begin to heal they do something else to inflame the relationship.Is it any wonder LH are pissed off?
Surrounded by deceit treachery and stupidity.Combine that with the "fishes and loaves "scenario on any aircraft and the picture will become a little clearer.
Someone said"watching LH CC attempt to deliver a level of service that they have no hope of achieving is sad"

ZK-NSN
9th Jun 2009, 07:44
you wouldnt get through the front door.
ummm, Nah, too easy. :}

With your attitude you will never get a command except on a freighter flying rubber dog **** out of Shanghai
The line is actually Hong Kong retard, Thats nearly as bad as confusing the Beef with the chicken. With an attitude like yours you'll be back at Starbucks in no time!

Funbags missed out again on Grab A Granny Night at his local pub.
Just like you missed out on HSC.

I agree with Tempo, god bless the lockable cockpit door.

blade.runner
9th Jun 2009, 08:21
ZK NSN has failed Command training for the third time(on a Chipmunk) and is now venting his spleen.
ZK NSN soon to be the worlds oldest first officer with no hope of promotion.
Love to hear your take on imaginary numbers

blurter8
9th Jun 2009, 08:26
Qantas pilots ,are in my humble opinion, the best trained in the world. Competent, outstanding under pressure and supported by a gifted group of equally talented engineers and technical staff. I put my life literally in your hands whenever i fly and your abilities i thank and so to do the members of my family.
I have always respected the position however that same respect is not afforded to the man or woman that occupies that position.
Please bring in the completely lockable, airtight (to an extent) bullet proof and totally indestructible Cockpit door and do it quick.
Talks with "Igloo" "Willow" "Thermos" and perhaps that standout brand "rubbermaid" should be undertaken as a matter of priority. The brief, design a food and beverage container for hot and cold food. Equipped with tamper proof lock accessible only by the operating captain so that the chance of food contamination and possible pilot incapacitation through a major screaming gazzo attack is all but impossible.
Qantas has arranged separate transport in several ports and in some cases even alternate accommodation. This should be supported and introduced the network over.
Colleagues, it has become blatantly obvious from the numerous posts throughout this forum that Pilots and Flight Attendants never the twain shall meet. I will always maintain professionalism onboard the Aircraft and i encourage you to all do the same, all our arses depend on that.
In over two decades of flying i have never had my handshake shunned by a uniformed member of the same company, how much could i have upset someone from walking onto a bus and getting to the front seats and having that happen.
I have read this forum for a lengthy amount of time and gleaned important info at times, sad that i find it necessary, even if only for myself, to post only this.
Fartbags, you are a prick of the highest order. Ill make sure i dont slam the door on the way out.

funbags
9th Jun 2009, 08:48
blurter, blurter, blurter.

I know your type and I avoid them like the plague. Typical LHCC holier than thou attitude. Somehow it's different to SHCC and QCCA, who don't think the world owes them a living!

I've seen how some of the LHCC treat us, and all I can say is God help the passengers.

I'll spell it for you: S-E-R-V-I-C-E. Try it some time!

Bring on the QCCA crew. Bring em on!

ditzyboy
9th Jun 2009, 08:56
I read over all QF CC posts from the immediate past. They show that...

Posters who identify as being from LH will give their opinions on matters to do with SH cabin crew, pilots and the company as a whole. I support that. That is everyone's right. We learn more from listening to other's points of view and maybe seeing things through their eyes.

Yet any poster who is not a LH cabin crew member is intimidated and set on by the same group of people - time after time, no matter what comment is being made or how valid it may be.

It is true - read over the posts yourselves. LH crew start threads on SH topics and participate in discussion regarding SH cabin crew - as recently as a few posts ago. It is true. It's all in black and white.

I know not to take most of what is said seriously. As none of you would have made more than 5% of your comments had we been required to post under our actual identity. Hiding behind an anonymous mask is not a license to bully and intimidate.

Pprune used to be a nice place to visit - especially the Cabin Crew forum. What a shame we can no longer connect with crew from other airlines. The posts there were helpful and we always had fun. Then a group of individuals arrived and it all changed.

I await the usual taunts and aggression in response. Yay for me.

blurter8
9th Jun 2009, 09:02
No Fbags, you have no, none, zip and sweet bugger all of an idea of my type.
I can only thank you for avoiding me like the plague, actually take the avoidance to the next level and ill sport wood over that!
As far as a knowledge of service is concerned ill base that on the amount of feedback in the positive ive had over my most enjoyable years and your gonna love this, much from Tech Crew!
Touche numb nuts
Thats it, come and get me mods, yep here i am, head on the block, raise the axe.
Sorry if i have taken a little space and deviated from the thread.
30 mins after blocks now, im off the meter.

funbags
9th Jun 2009, 09:05
It's a very good point you make Ditzy. LHCC are quick to criticise everyone else, but if anyone dares to criticise them or their empire, they come at you in packs. They are so protective because they know their little empire is out of date and now obsolete. QCCA have broken it down and they voted the QCCA crew a b-scale. Won't that come back to bite them in the years ahead.

I'll say one thing to LHCC. Take a good look at yourselves, realise that the glory days are over, that the world does not owe you a living, that your job is not a free ticket to the next shopping destination; and do your job. Provide a service instead of criticising everyone else. And maybe, just maybe our customers may return, instead of bitching their heads off about the inflight service on Qantas long haul. You only have to look at the comments on news.com.au everytime Qantas is mentioned. People criticise the inflight service and compliment Singapore, Cathay, Malaysian etc etc etc.

blurter, I'll let you into a little secret; tech crew only say that because you're cooking their next meal!

Bring on the QCCA crew. Bring em on!

Over and out with this thread. It's like talking to numerous brick walls. Don't bother replying, I won't be reading them! :yuk:

mrpaxing
9th Jun 2009, 09:28
you reside in qld that says it all.:ok:
and before any of you former s/h or mam disasters reply, let me just point out that even on this thread l/h was long here before you lot turned up.:eek:

ditzyboy
9th Jun 2009, 09:40
What an incredibly mature post, mrpaxing.

Why should the greater Pprune community have to endure this kind of stuff?

Pegasus747
9th Jun 2009, 12:15
what a load of piffle....are you guys really serious??? surely this dribble is proof that the CASA drug and alcohol testing is long overdue!!!

blueloo
9th Jun 2009, 13:19
Maybe they have a decent enough gripe, and some of you guys keep hijacking their thread....

Sunfish
9th Jun 2009, 19:56
Can I make Two observations about this thread and one prediction.

First the prediction, Mr. Paxing said..

The 2 guys at the BOS desk are already strechted (sic) to their limits ( and they do a bloody good job i might add). Syd Bos desk deal with most international queries from CSM/CSS/BFA/AC re local and international issues. They have become by defacto our engine room to provide all operational support (used to be via ops but all the new kids up there have no bloody idea).

You have just sealed these guys doom. They will go the way of the service desk girls to force you to deal with Ops. Don't you get it? People below them displaying competency, knowledge and efficiency are a threat to know nothing Managers.

The reason is that the narcissistic Manager constantly asks herself "If my boss finds out that people who work for me cost much less and can do my job better than me, then I'm sunk". They work to remove these efficient people so that these painful comparisons can not be made by the know nothings further up the chain. I've watched it being done myself. The incompetent on $300,000 p.a got rid of Three people on $100,000 pa. who were all far more competent than he was and each of whom were capable of doing his job better than he did.

First observation: Fighting between LH and SH And pilots is music to your managers ears. Divide and rule.

Second observation: The one thing Narcissistic Managers are absolutely excellent at is fomenting internal divisions such as those displayed in the last few pages. They make it an art form. The easiest way to do it is through social bullying (eg: Holding meetings or functions from which one person or group is deliberately excluded). Creating artificial distinctions between groups (eg: Arranging different sub load privileges for different groups, or keeping them the same, but providing different access points with different powers ).

To put it another way, what QF needs is a top rate Industrial psychologist advising the Board and Senior Management and both following the advice with the interests of the customer paramount.