PDA

View Full Version : Fixed wing flying.

sailor
7th Jun 2009, 08:44
Before Brown goes he should be preceded by tw@t Torpy!
What a total load of bull that guy spouts.
100 years of Fleet Air Arm flying must have got right up his nose I fear!
FLY NAVY!

Pontius Navigator
7th Jun 2009, 08:50
He is, Torpy goes next month.

PS, why is he wearing a desert flying suit?

In fact why is he wearing a flying suit?

(OK coveralls)

Hot Charlie
7th Jun 2009, 09:11
100 years of Fleet Air Arm flying must have got right up his nose I fear!

Couldn't have done, seeing as the FAA didn't come into existence until the mid 1930s. A few years to go until that centenary.;)

We know what you meant though.:)

c130jbloke
7th Jun 2009, 10:34
So CAS stuck his neck out with days to do......:}

That said, he is correct in his assessment: there is going to have to be some pain taken by all sides as a result of the economy shambles. And on that point, why is he using 100 quid on a desert flying suit :eek:

So, FWIW, I would suggest we ditch Tornado + Puma, go with a JSF/Typhoon mix, scale down the size of the carriers (keeps the sailors happy) and offload the whole of SH to the Army. As for the Army, 16 AAB can lose parts of its Airborne element - that would only be a paper exercise anyway.

I know you will upset people, but (to the RAF at least) would make some savings without hitting capability too much. I appreciate that Tornado will be (is ?) involved in AFG, so that one would require some thought but as the great man said, nothing is sacred and we are all going to have to take some pain.

Widger
7th Jun 2009, 10:40
There are a few highly regarded posters on this network that have defended this man and stated that he has no ambition to kill off Naval Aviation. His comments in the Torygraph today expose his true character and the reality of his scheme. These are disgraceful comments especially when the Fleet Air Arm has been so evident in both Iraq and Afghanistan alongside their surface fleet cousins.

Glen Torpy started the fight, he lost the recent battle and this is now the parting shot of an @@@@ that will not be missed by the other two services or the non-fast jet members of his own service. He matches every stereotype of the narrow minded, self centered, stick monkey and has done the RAF a great dis-service in trying to execute his "if it flies it is ours" policy. i suppose that he thought the Army Air Corps was too hard a nut to crack.

Good riddance and now lets try and mend the wounds he has opened up, re-build a long standing and highly beneficial relationship and fight the real foe, HM treasury!

mystic_meg
7th Jun 2009, 10:55
Here's the link: RAF chief predicts controversial takeover of Royal Naval air power - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/defence/5461255/RAF-chief-predicts-controversial-takeover-of-Royal-Naval-air-power.html)

A couple of quotes to see the real quality of this article:
"We have got to kill some scared cows to make ourselves more efficient".
The Royal Navy is hoping its role will be significantly expanded when two new large aircraft carriers are built, allowing it to fly supersonic F-35 Joint Strike Fighter (JSF) aircraft from the new vessels' desks. (my bold)

British journalism at its very best... God help us :ugh::ugh:

Like This - Do That
7th Jun 2009, 11:11
A couple of quotes to see the real quality of this article:

Quote:
"We have got to kill some scared cows to make ourselves more efficient".

Quote:
The Royal Navy is hoping its role will be significantly expanded when two new large aircraft carriers are built, allowing it to fly supersonic F-35 Joint Strike Fighter (JSF) aircraft from the new vessels' desks.

Maybe that's what the CAS said .....

Oh! My coat! .... Thank you

minigundiplomat
7th Jun 2009, 11:25
offload the whole of SH to the Army

Where are you going to get 50 odd CH47 crews when the present ones PVR? Who are going to engineer the aircraft when the Engineers, who we cling onto by our fingernails presently, all poke off to fix trains or do something else?

16 AAB can lose parts of its Airborne element - that would only be a paper exercise anyway

Care to quote that at Catterick?

would make some savings without hitting capability too much

I point you to the first quote. If you think transferring SH to the Army whilst a third of the fleet are deployed on ops won't hit capability too much, crack on.

Nice to see the Planky fleet with their finger on the pulse, offering well thought out solutions in these difficult times. Think of the money we could save if we used our personnel effectively instead of them checking in 12 hours in advance only to find the aircraft isnt coming and they have no kit!

c130jbloke
7th Jun 2009, 12:39
Where are you going to get 50 odd CH47 crews when the present ones PVR? Who are going to engineer the aircraft when the Engineers, who we cling onto by our fingernails presently, all poke off to fix trains or do something else?

Err, there's not a lot of work on the outisde right now.....

Care to quote that at Catterick?

I did so at LYN in 2006 - got a frosty responce from the Army:ooh:

I point you to the first quote. If you think transferring SH to the Army whilst a third of the fleet are deployed on ops won't hit capability too much, crack on.

It wont, if it was managed correctly.

Nice to see the Planky fleet with their finger on the pulse, offering well thought out solutions in these difficult times. Think of the money we could save if we used our personnel effectively instead of them checking in 12 hours in advance only to find the aircraft isnt coming and they have no kit!

Get real :ugh:

The movement of one department into another happens all the time in the real world ( where you are going in 14 months ?) if there is a business case to support it and I am not just talking cash either.

As stated earlier by CAS, there is pain for all on the horizon, so why not take the opportunity to offload a non core element to another service which may be better suited to accept it.

And before you go off on one, how many other Air Forces around the world have this joint RAF/AAC helo set up ? So sort that out and you could probably take a chunk out of JHC while you are at it:ok:

No matter what you say about SH, it's just another cow

moo moo

Torque Tonight
7th Jun 2009, 12:48
No matter what you say about SH, it's just another cow

moo moo

It may be bovine but in this case its a bull with nuts like a pair of spacehoppers swinging between its legs. SH has probably been the most important single element of air power in both our recent eastern jaunts. Have a little think about that next time you're propping up the pool bar at the Bahrain Yacht Club.

BN Boy
7th Jun 2009, 13:00
Hey Everybody,

I'm getting feed through on the ol' wireless that, 'C130JBloke sexually molests juvenile, retarded donkeys'.

Is this true?

I know you can't trust the media but this story sounds plausible...

c130jbloke
7th Jun 2009, 13:02
It may be bovine but in this case its a bull with nuts like a pair of spacehoppers swinging between its legs. SH has probably been the most important single element of air power in both our recent eastern jaunts.

I accept your point about improtance, (debateable about primacy though) but does the average tom care as to whether it has ARMY or that STUPID logo on the side of the cab ?

Pop away, but the baseline is the music is going to stop soon and we are way short on seats - so why not reconfigure a force structure that is out of kilter when compared with similar nations armed forces ?

c130jbloke
7th Jun 2009, 13:05
I'm getting feed through on the ol' wireless that, 'C130JBloke sexually molests juvenile, retarded donkeys'.

Feeling left out are we ?

Grow up little boy:ok:

Torque Tonight
7th Jun 2009, 13:11
the music is going to stop soon and we are way short on seats

Perhaps HMG should be buying a few more seats if they want to throw such epic parties. The govt start turning the screws and the infighting begins. They must be laughing in Westminster (in between the weeping and gnashing of teeth).

Pontius Navigator
7th Jun 2009, 13:29
The desks quote, as I read it, was part of the Torygraph article and not part of the interview.

Also in the printed article it spells sacred and the printed article omits the from its desks completely.

The problem is therefore a Torygraph electro-journo charlie uniform.

airborne_artist
7th Jun 2009, 16:54
Torpy needs to learn some professionalism, I think. His public behaviour, sounding off about inter-service issues, does the Services no good at all.

Imagine if the MD of a division of Megacorp plc was doing this to another division of Megacorp - the Chairman would have his nuts on a spike in seconds.

The best thing Torpy can do is keep this internal - by all means argue his case, but using the press to make his point is juvenile.

Pheasant
7th Jun 2009, 17:31
Word is that the idiot Torpy is going to relieve John Day at BAe - he certainly knows how to win friends and influence people - all MoD think he is a Tw*t as do the politicians.....and so should BAe.

soddim
7th Jun 2009, 17:37
About the only valid point made was that some sacred cows need culling.

With yet another imminent round of 'economies' in funding it should be obvious that drastic changes are essential and I am sure that within MOD there are sensible proposals for these.

However, inter-service rivalry has nothing to offer in this process and if it continues I would not be surprised to see the necessary changes determined by an external unbiased body - and they would probably screw it up with their lack of intimate knowledge.

Time to stop the bickering.

davejb
7th Jun 2009, 18:32
I think the RSPCA should get involved, it's bad enough to scare cows, but...

On a more sensible note -
He added: "There is no other aircraft better than the Typhoon except for a US F22 Raptor and an F22 is significantly more expensive. Typhoon is truly multi-role, it is a world class aeroplane. It is absolute rubbish to call it a cold war relic and that just demonstrates that people do not understand what the aircraft does."

- is to mistake the abilities of the aircraft itself with the country's need for such an aircraft. It may be a brilliant a/c for all I know, but will security of the UK (the MAIN role of defence) require such a weapon?

Until we can afford to fight the wars we have, I can't help wondering why so many are intent on preparing for wars we might never see. As for the carriers - sheesh, what a waste of cash!

IF we had the cash, or even looked like we might have it sometime before hell freezes over, I'd love to see a sorts of shiny new toys. But we can't afford shiny stuff any more, and that's that.

(Discuss)

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
7th Jun 2009, 20:10
When we had chaps in the 'Stan up to their bums in sand in the 1920s, I wonder if other chaps were saying the same sort of thing. Oh, just a minute, I believe there were. Naturally, designing a machine, building it and testing was much faster in those days; wasn't it?

Is Torpy that different to our, brown, friendly neighbourhood back-stabber?

althenick
8th Jun 2009, 03:29
This man Beggars belief!

How will the future CAS garauntee the RN that there will be a continuity of trained personnel to operate these A/C from the Carriers - Its quite obvious his own people do not want to go to sea (http://www.e-goat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=15992)for any length of time so how will Future CAS select these people?

There is a good and most compelling reason for maintaining 3 seperate air services - PEOPLE
If you dont beleive me then take a look at history of the Fleet Air Arm of the Royal Air Force and draw your own conclusions.

nunquamparatus
8th Jun 2009, 05:52
Fortunately, when you speak to the people who do the work in all three services most, rpt, most share your views. It appears that in the lofty hallows of the MoD the temptation to become a politician and less of a soldier/sailor/airman is too great. Mind you their expenses system is brilliant...................:E

Don't know the man personally but if this is the real Torpy then I get the impression that the RAF is well shot of him. I hope his relief gets the broom out.

c130jbloke
9th Jun 2009, 11:45
When the cow killing does start, then service culture will have a part to play. I just wonder whether CASs little skit about JSF was a planned move in the great games they play in Main Buliding...:uhoh:

Data-Lynx
10th Jun 2009, 07:23
c130jbloke has a point about sacred cows so I assume that the 'Regiment' will be returned to the Army. The timing of the interview with the Telegraph is also interesting. Rumour has it that the interview was arranged at short order and the only recent change for the JHF was that a Royal Marine was selected for JHF Squadron Command. Does the Torpydo really want to take on the Corps in his last few weeks?

1.3VStall
10th Jun 2009, 07:57
What an absolute twonk Torpy is. People like him contribute f*ck all while they are in post and then - once their gold-plated pensions are secure, along with a sinecure job in the defence industry - they feel justified in having a pop at the current organisation.

The Service will be well rid of the t@sser. If he is indeed going to BWOS I'm sure he'll achieve as much with the Nimrod MRA4 programme as he did during his time as CAS.

NURSE
10th Jun 2009, 10:39
He has to upset a few apple carts before he goes.
He is right in one respect though there is a whole world of pain on the horizon for the UK armed forces no matter what government comes to power and the realities of the countries financial state and the poor state of our armed forces combine hopefully to bring some of the politicans who believe that we are still a big league player down to size. The defence review should also be coupled with a political review of where we want to be in the world and how we go about getting there.
The Labour reviews wanted to change the cold war armed forces to fight expitionary warfare with improved ISTAR allowing the commander to deploy forces for best effect. Great concept but where was the investment to back it up? Instead the money was frittered away on military adventure after military adventure with the treasury refusing to acknowledge the country has been at war!

1.3VStall
10th Jun 2009, 11:32
Nurse - Precisely!

So why don't Torpy and his senior collaborators in Main Building bang the drum while they're in post, rather than just trying to rock the boat (no pun intended) just as they leave?

The letters LMF come to mind!

500days2do
10th Jun 2009, 11:52
Like most of the Oficer Corp he lacks the backbone to support his opinions...until his pension is safe. We shouldn't be surprised when any of the top brass leave post and fire a parting shot at those they leave behind.

The man was, is and will always be a complete K@*b.

5d2d

c130jbloke
10th Jun 2009, 11:54
Well first they will have to nail down whoever is the minister this week:eek:

But if nothing else, these leaders have got to get it in their heads that perhaps sometimes they have to go public with their concerns - and not with the usual route of showing concern just as you are about to start your terminal leave.

Look at Dannatt, told Brooon to back off as the Army was maxed - as for the RAF example, eerr...