PDA

View Full Version : Emergency Squawk this morning NW England

Atcham Tower
6th Jun 2009, 12:17
Anyone know what the emergency traffic was, south-eastbound over Merseyside around 0640 local? It was maintaining FL390 so obviously not critical. Medical emergency perhaps?

eyeinthesky
6th Jun 2009, 19:17
Medical Emergency into Gatwick. Can't remember the callsign.

Runaway Gun
6th Jun 2009, 19:36
Not critical maintaining FL390? Seems a fairly immature observation...

NudgingSteel
6th Jun 2009, 22:23
He probably meant that it was continuing in the cruise as opposed to descending rapidly into one of the NW airports....

Atcham Tower
7th Jun 2009, 07:37
That's exactly what I meant. Thanks for defending me Mr Nudger!

Arch Stanton
7th Jun 2009, 07:56
Seems a fairly immature observation...

Not to anybody who made the slightest attempt to understand it before making snarky comments.

Atcham Tower
7th Jun 2009, 08:18
Thanks Arch! And thanks to Eyeinthesky for the info. Perhaps I should have qualified my comment about not critical but I thought it was pretty obvious.

Thoroughly Nice Bloke...
7th Jun 2009, 08:42
"Not critical maintaining FL390? Seems a fairly immature observation..."

There's always one...! :hmm:

Runaway Gun
7th Jun 2009, 08:43
Yeah, a bit too snarky - and I apologise.

I've just a bee in my bonnet about people (not necessarily ATC) second guessing pilots actions, without knowing the facts. Most of the time the best one to make judgement is the guy/gal that is in the cockpit, at that time. In restrospect, it's sometimes not the best decision, but at the time, to that pilot, it's the best they can do.

Sometimes such questions/comments can discourage pilots from squawking or declaring an emergency - to the detriment of flight safety.

Keep looking after us :ok:

Atcham Tower
7th Jun 2009, 09:34
A handsome apology which I accept unreservedly. I never aspired to being much more than a Cessna 150 driver so I have infinite respect for you guys.
You bet I'll keep looking after your interests :)

Arch Stanton
8th Jun 2009, 04:28
Whoa, what's going on!!

A gracious apology followed by a polite acceptance. Dont you two realise you are supposed to be on the internet for goodness sake.:D:D

Atcham Tower
8th Jun 2009, 07:55
I like it Arch! Gotta go now - BNP meeting.