PDA

View Full Version : Skilltest / Theory and eventually IR

Yabadoo
5th Jun 2009, 16:46
Hi everyone,

My concern is regarding helicoptertraining and the JAA regulations, but I guess the same applies for fixed wing..

I am planning to train for a JAA CPL(H) in the US and do the conversion back in Europe.
Skill test and JAA ATPL Theory in the UK. This will obviously give me a JAA CPL(H) Frozen ATPL. (no IR)

As I am from Norway, I plan to return home and transfer the JAA CPL(H) to the Norwegian CAA register.

Eventually I guess I will do the IR-part, but have heard rumours that it will not be possible for me to train for the IR back home in Norway as the IR rating has to be issued in the same country that issued the initial license...? It sounds strange to me...

Do anyone on the forum have any info on this?

Many Thanks,

Yabadoo

Whirlygig
5th Jun 2009, 17:08
My concern is regarding helicoptertraining and the JAA regulations, but I guess the same applies for fixed wing..
Fixed wing rules are slightly different and, with JAA regulations, differ from country to country. The UK is operating under Amendment 3 of JAR-FCL2 - you need to check which amendment Norway is operating under.

I am planning to train for a JAA CPL(H) in the US and do the conversion back in Europe. So what licence will you have in the US? JAA of FAA? If you get an FAA CPL(H), you will need to sit the ATPL(H) exams in Europe and take your CPL(H) conversion and skill test in the same country in which you took your theory exams.
Skill test and JAA ATPL Theory in the UK. This will obviously give me a JAA CPL(H) Frozen ATPL. (no IR)There is no such licence as a frozen ATPL but it is used as slang for CPL/IR with ATPL theory. You will have a CPL(H).

As I am from Norway, I plan to return home and transfer the JAA CPL(H) to the Norwegian CAA register.Norway is part of JAA :confused:

Eventually I guess I will do the IR-part, but have heard rumours that it will not be possible for me to train for the IR back home in Norway as the IR rating has to be issued in the same country that issued the initial license...? It sounds strange to me...
No, the IR can be done in any JAA state.

Rotorheads forum is better - there is plenty of information on training if you search there.

Cheers

Whirls

Yabadoo
5th Jun 2009, 17:16
Thanks Whirlygig,

I forgot to mention that I will train for the FAA CPL(H) in the US and fly the JAA skilltest after I finish the JAA ATPL exams.

The reason why I want to 'bring' the license back to Norway is simply because I live there and therefore easier in regards to medical / future ratings / PC and so on:-)

Yabadoo

Whirlygig
5th Jun 2009, 18:22
If you're converting you FAA CPL(H) to JAA CPL(H) in a country other than Norway, then I believe it's just a paperwork exercise to get a Norwegian CPL as opposed to say, a UK JAA CPL.

If you're not aware, the training required for conversion from FAA to JAA is not a fixed number of hours; it is "hours required" to pass the skill test. Some FAA CPLs can take nearly the full 30 hours anyway as they're not used to the RT, airspace, etc.

Cheers

Whirls