PDA

View Full Version : Main differences between tower and approach?

DIAF
5th Jun 2009, 06:54
Aside from the obvious. What is liked most among you guys?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
5th Jun 2009, 07:23
In some places, Tower and Approach are combined - I worked such an arrangement early in my career. However, do you mean the difference between Aerodrome Control and Radar Control? If you are lucky enough to work at and airfield which has both facilities then you have no problem - you can do them both. Problem arises when the Approach facility is remote from the airfield it is responsible for; then you never see an aeroplane.

See the planes or work the radar? Your choice....

BigDaddyBoxMeal
5th Jun 2009, 07:51
See the planes or work the radar? Your choice....

NATS' choice, more likely ;)

Akrapovic
5th Jun 2009, 08:27
I'm not ATC, but to be an approach controller does it not require another qualification?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
5th Jun 2009, 09:22
Akrapovic... All ATC tasks require qualifications - Tower, Approach, Radar, etc. I suspect that what the originator means is whether he should choose to work at an airfield or a centre where the Approach facility exists for several airfields.

classicwings
5th Jun 2009, 10:27
Controllers who work at non-state airfields are more likely to combine Approach Radar with Tower duties

SINGAPURCANAC
5th Jun 2009, 10:57
There are 3 reasons:
1.salary
2.benefits
3.salaryand benefits, combined

DIAF
5th Jun 2009, 11:03
The benefits are different for each? How so? How big is the pay difference?

Akrapovic
5th Jun 2009, 11:52
Akrapovic... All ATC tasks require qualifications

Calm down HD - If you read my post, I state that other qualifications are required to operate Approach. . . . :ugh:

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
5th Jun 2009, 12:04
Akrapovic. Why did you tell me to "calm down" when I answered your query politely and factually? You suggested that another qualification was required for Approach Control and I responded that all ATC tasks require qualifications - ratings on the licence and validations for each ATC unit. OK?

Scott Diamond
5th Jun 2009, 12:10
Calm down HD - If you read my post, I state that other qualifications are required to operate Approach. . . . :ugh:

He answered your question rather well and politely - no need for a "calm down". Just because he never whiped your arse with the answer :eek:

Akrapovic
5th Jun 2009, 13:15
HD - Fair enough in that case, but it's hard to read your reply and not detect a hint of sarcasm regarding 'ALL ATC tasks require qualifications' - perhaps I'm missing a joke here, so apologies for that.

Scott Diamond
5th Jun 2009, 13:18
Akrapovic,

'All' wasnt in uppercase in his original post.. reading stuff on the internet it's obviously very difficult to sniffle out a writers' attitude as you're not speaking in person, though HD is one of the members around here I'd least expect to snipe away at others! :ok:

Akrapovic
5th Jun 2009, 13:33
Absolutely, Scott.

As is the case with my previous post (!) - wasn't out to ruffle any feathers!

:ok:

slackie
6th Jun 2009, 03:20
Main differences between tower and approach?

WINDOWS!:ok::}

hangten
7th Jun 2009, 19:25
Tower:

Being located at the airport itself, if the geography suits, and having access to all the facilities associated with it. Professionally this includes more interaction with other agencies: airlines (including more free familiarisation flights), airfield operations and visits from crews. Personally, duty free shopping, choice of food and drink, friends with access to cheap flights!

There are a lot more airports than there are radar centres and so you have more options of locations - should the opportunities arise (although this heavily depends on the company/country involved).

More awareness of the aviation industry/business as a whole, since airline mergers/leases etc are much more obvious, and rumours and politics abound. (Also - and this is a big gun for me: knowing which new routes are starting up and when, six months in advance, so you can get the first tickets at the cheapest price!)

Free parking at your airport when you go on holiday.

Windows. Lots of windows. Actually watching aeroplanes and feeling a part of it.

Area Centre:

No damned airport security.

Of course, all that said, co-located facilities at a busy airport is ideal - but not possible anymore at five of the busiest (eight) airports in the UK.

NB. All personal opinion... :ok:

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
7th Jun 2009, 19:40
<<Professionally this includes more interaction with other agencies: airlines (including more free familiarisation flights)>>

I suspect this contributor lives outside the UK? In 31 years dealing with Heathrow traffic I certainly never heard of "more free familiarisation flights"!

Jakeyboy5460
8th Jun 2009, 11:38
So the controllers at Birmingham for example may be working the radar one day and working up in the VCR the next?

alfaman
8th Jun 2009, 12:17
"So the controllers may be working the radar one day and working up in the VCR the next?"
More likely that they'll rotate through the day, depending on whether they are appropriately qualified, unless the journey between the two is too great: from what I recall at Birmingham the trip involves a few stairs.

Skyjuggler
8th Jun 2009, 19:19
Hangten quite nicely highlighted many of the perks of working tower.
Including the mysterious free flips :ok:

From a personal job satisfaction however it really depends what you're into. Although I always enjoyed physically watching the aircraft, through my four-windowed, all-corner office, I always preferred the dungeon.

Approach radar is really where my heart is. Personally, I felt more in control, and really felt like I was controlling.
Sigh.. The good old days...:sad:

hangten
8th Jun 2009, 19:30
Does nobody else get offers of fam flights these days then?!

Certainly almost none involve a night stop (as I understood they used to more in 'the good old days') but most airlines here are happy to take ATCOs for a double sector in one day. I've done Jersey on a lovely summers day, Faro and others.

The pick of the bunch was a three night stopover in Havana with Virgin; although I had to pay for my own hotel the flight was of course free. Obviously these are in short supply and they've cut back from 6 a year to 3 this year, which results in a lottery amongst those interested.

PS I am a UK ATCO. :ok: