PDA

View Full Version : Raf Atc

elliearmstrong
1st Jun 2009, 14:18
Does anyone know anything about the training at shawbury? I know its 27 weeks long and some of the course content but im not too sure how the jatcc is structured.. any help would be awesome!

dagowly
2nd Jun 2009, 02:09
1st week used to be AT, but i think the fun police got involved in that one.

2nd week is MET

3rd week on is ACT and aerodrome procedures with the respective exam then you got into the ACT simulators. After that you move onto Radar Block 1 and 2, then exam, then 3 and 4, Assessed Radar and Vissim then Ex Wildcats right at the end,

whowhenwhy
2nd Jun 2009, 19:31
Perhaps some explanation of the well intentioned TLA heavy prose. AT is adventure training. MET is meteorology. ACT is aerodrome control trainer which teaches you how to do the bit upstairs looking out over the airfield and controlling take-off, landing and the visual circuit. The rest is radar, teaching you how to do the Zone/LARS, Director, Approach and talkdown disciplines. Zone/LARS is talking to everything that's flying near you, but not going to or from you, Director is talking to everything that's coming to you IFR (ie they can't see out of the window or they're pretending they can't), Approach is talking to everything that's left you or is coming to you VFR (they can see out of the window) and talkdown is getting them onto the end of the runway when they can't see out of the window. Assessed is where they examine you in all the control positions to make sure that you've learnt everything that you've been taught and VISSIM is the part of that which replicates the aerodrome control again. Shimples, yes?

FantomZorbin
3rd Jun 2009, 07:56
elliearmstrong

May I suggest that you make contact with the Senior Air Traffic Control Officer (SATCO) of your nearest operational RAF station and ask to be allowed to visit. It would serve 2 purposes: 1. To see what Air Traffic in a 'blue suit' is like, and 2. To speak with those Air Traffic Controllers (ATCO) who have recently been through the system and hear their views. You will get a better appreciation of what RAF ATC involves.

Best wishes for your endeavours :ok:

Wessex Boy
30th Jun 2009, 14:17
I did my Rotary Loadmaster training at Shawbury in the '80s, Trainee Pilots, Trainee Crewman and Trainee ATC..and the rest outsourced to Marshalls....hmmm what a recipe!