PDA

View Full Version : Gatwick Zone - Transit request

Roundouthigh1
1st Jun 2009, 10:17
Hi, going flying tonight from Biggin, initially to Lydd, then on to Shoreham and back to Biggin. I was wondering what are the chances of a direct routing through the LGW overhead? The aircraft is mode S equipped and the callsign is G-DOLY. If anyone knows who or what we could do in advance to improve our chances that would be much appreciated. Have a good day.

ATCO Two
1st Jun 2009, 10:29
Dream on Tim! Seriously though it depends on the traffic at the time, but I would have thought it would be unlikely.

Roundouthigh1
1st Jun 2009, 10:35
Thanks ATCO TWO for the honest reply. You guys in Thames never let us down. Hope you are all well and regards to the team.

mr.777
1st Jun 2009, 11:07
I recognise the callsign but have forgotten what type of a/c you are...f/w or rotary?

If its f/w then we are not allowed to route you through the overhead, the most we can do is route you through the final approach track, but as somebody else as said, it depends what time of night you are going. Also, whther you will be VFR or SVFR makes a huge difference too. EGKK is quite busy now up until about 00.30 with the summer shcedules...but give us a call and we'll do our best for you as always:ok:

Roffa
1st Jun 2009, 12:24
If its f/w then we are not allowed to route you through the overhead,

You sure about that?

mr.777
1st Jun 2009, 12:36
You're obviously about to correct me.....

bookworm
1st Jun 2009, 13:37
Last month I got a VFR transit at 2000 ft from south to north passing a mile or two from the 26 thresholds. So I'm 1 for 1. Call asap after airborne from Shoreham.

mr.777
1st Jun 2009, 13:41
A mile or 2 from the threshold is not through the overhead though.

Sorry Bookworm, I'm not being pedantic (honest!)...in fact that routeing was what I was alluding to when I mentioned being routed through the "final approach". I probably should have explained myself better.

What you will not get is straight over the top of the field (unless its 2am in the morning and there's zero traffic about...and its been coordinated with the tower...who are happy to do it).

Roundouthigh1
1st Jun 2009, 13:49
Hi Mr.777, thanks very much for that. DOLY is a Cessna 303. We will try our luck on departure from EGKA and see how it goes. May speak to you later.

mr.777
1st Jun 2009, 13:53
No probs mate. I'm sure it won't be a problem, it very rarely is these days(except when the traffic is "balls out" as we say!). Sadly you won't have the pleasure of my dulcet tones but I'm sure whoever is on will look after you royally.:)

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
1st Jun 2009, 14:16
<<Also, whether you will be VFR or SVFR makes a huge difference too.>>

Just curious...... is that an option in the Gatwick Zone?

mr.777
1st Jun 2009, 14:34
Class D HD, so VFR or SVFR if its night or weather conditions won't allow VFR.

Much more permissive ( and straightforward) than the LL Zone ;)

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
1st Jun 2009, 14:40
OK thanks...

Roffa
1st Jun 2009, 16:44
mr.777,

You're obviously about to correct me.....

No, I just thought that restriction had quite rightly been removed from the Pt 2.

bookworm
2nd Jun 2009, 08:16
A mile or 2 from the threshold is not through the overhead though.

Sorry Bookworm, I'm not being pedantic (honest!)

True enough. I wasn't meaning to enter the route-through-overhead-or-not fray, just commenting on a successful VFR transit.

Roundouthigh1
2nd Jun 2009, 09:41
Hi, we managed to get south and east of East Grinstead, it was very busy, but still got some great views and then couple of orbits of City zone. Thanks to all controllers, much appreciated.

hangten
3rd Jun 2009, 09:39
Gatwick overhead transits were previously limited to rotary traffic only but this was recently changed since the CAA will not allow such a restriction in class D airspace. However, most tower controllers are very cautious about such traffic, and of course thr IFR traffic will always take priority. The weather will need to be very good, if not CAVOK and the actual traffic demand will need to be low before we're willing to take fixed wing traffic at the VRPs.

However, if I happen to get the call from my radar colleagues at the right moment (mid to late afternoon usually), such that I don't think you'll have to hold for long at all at the north terminal or southern maintainence hangars, then I'd be happy to take you through.

Be ready to orbit at those VRPs though, and not to infringe the runway extended centrelines until cleared.

Finally, bear in mind that there may be any number of reasons in addition to weather and traffic that may increase a controller's workload to the level where they feel vindicated in refusing.

Roffa
3rd Jun 2009, 12:58
It only increases workload way out of proportion because of the procedures we put in place for it, partly due to electronic strips.

A simple VFR transit via the overhead really shouldn't be the issue and big deal we make it out to be.

callum91
3rd Jun 2009, 19:46
What would the likely response be if one was to request permission to land at the Vallance Byways strip and how would this be fitted in with your IFR traffic? Just out of curiosity. :E

vespasia
4th Jun 2009, 21:17
Vallance is strictly PPO with the owner and requires you to be fully aware of the location and nature of the strip. Assuming you have such permission we should be aware of you and there should be no problems unless you lose visual contact with the field, in which case you'll be turned away. Fitting in with IFR traffic is no problem - you'd be given instructions to remain North of the approach/climb out as appropriate and traffic info given as required. HTH:ok: