PDA

View Full Version : ATC video

kitekid
30th May 2009, 22:59
ok, it's not a real video, but fun anyways.

YouTube - Radar Game Air Traffic Controller (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv2pTRCdCVA&feature=channel_page)

Lon More
30th May 2009, 23:26
After the real thing, who needs videos?

kitekid
31st May 2009, 01:06
well is it realistic do you think or not so much?

There's a couple of different ones on there... not the same thing though, but seem tense! I can't imagine it would EVER be like that though

Tarq57
31st May 2009, 02:32
I've only played the online versions, haven't downloaded the games.
Good time waster, quite a lot of fun.
The radar one is fairly realistic, the a/c seem a little slower to take up turns than in real life, to me. Available tools for the game are a little limited compared to real life, but within the context of what is there, it's pretty good.

The tower based games are more limited in terms of tools available, the separations we are required to use are not depicted on the game, thus unrealistic, you don't tend to get a/c following each other down final so close together that routine overshoots are required, and in the game it is depicted that if you send one around it might crash into another one a couple of minutes later, outside your jurisdiction, which is highly unrealistic. Also unrealistic is the weather complexity. You can't control an aerodrome that you can't see without either position reports or radar.

But all in all, a lot of fun.

kitekid
1st Jun 2009, 01:08
I never thought of the overshoot... it doesn't really have an option for that... unless you cancel the approach and issue headings and altitudes. The Airport Madness does have an overshoot button but you don't control it then!

Kite

Tarq57
1st Jun 2009, 03:07
The Airport Madness does have an overshoot button but you don't control it then!
But in real life you do! In the game you can't, and then a middair can happen.
I never thought of the overshoot... it doesn't really have an option for that... unless you cancel the approach and issue headings and altitudes That's how it's done. Not often required in the game; you just slow the following down. Required occasionally in real life, if there is too big a catch-up.