PDA

View Full Version : MATZ Weekends

PAPI 32
29th May 2009, 08:07
I have hired a plane to fly on Sunday. I usually only fly during the week and if I fly near any MATZ I usually always call them up for the LARS and MATZ penetration if I transit near their zone. I understand that during weekends the stations are unmanned. I know it's not mandatory but highly advised to state to the Military controller you are transiting the MATZ and it is mandatory to ask permisiion to cross the ATZ. How do you do that if nobody is there?

Second question, is it possible to fly above the ATZ, aka FL40 or something without permision?

Thanks.

Barnaby the Bear
29th May 2009, 08:14
Give them a call as you would during the week. If no answer then they are probably not there, but keep a good look out and remain outside the ATZ.

goatface
29th May 2009, 16:20
1. For civilian a/c, it's not mandatory to get clearance to enter a MATZ at any time other than those which are encompassed by other controlled or restricted airspace, in which case they are considered to operate under the rules of that particular class of airspace.
2. At weekends, many military airfields host gliding activity. Despite having the protection of the ATZ, many will say that they operate to a rad of 3nm up to 3000ft and if you make a call on the frequency they will tell you to remain clear by this margin. :rolleyes::hmm:
Typical nonsense and hypocrisy from the Queens subsidised flying club, although you should remain outside the ATZ there's nothing to stop you transiting 2nm and 1ft from the airfield without calling - just like the military do Mon - Fri with every civillian ATZ.

Of course good airmanship dictates that you make the appropriate calls and keep a good look out, but MATZ airspace (unless within controlled airspace) is the open FIR and it's incumbent upon the military pilots, no matter what they are flying, to keep to the same rules as you.

Talkdownman
29th May 2009, 22:39
MATZ is not worth the paper it is printed on.....especially if it is a civil chart....

Just avoid the 'Government aerodrome' 'H24' 'Rule 45' 'Class G' ATZ and keep the usual requisite sharp look-out. Anything could be happening outside the regulated ATZ eg. civilian aviators who do not receive a reply or who cannot get a word in on the RT.....or non-radio flights.....

whowhenwhy
2nd Jun 2009, 19:43
goatface, part of what you say is a little inflammatory and not required - you shouldn't tar all with the same brush. I know that there are military ATCOs who will ask civil pilots to route around the MATZ for no other reason than they don't want anyone else in the MATZ, but there are those around who are well aware of the rules and stick to them on the basis that anything else would be idiotic and un-workable. Yes the MATZ is effectively worthless and if it was to do what it said on the tin it would be Class D; however, it doesn't and never will. That said, as Goatface states, good airmanship should dictate that you call the MATZ frequency and, if you don't get a response, make a blindcall stating your intentions just in case someone else is doing the same thing coming the other way. After that, keep a good lookout and continue on your merry way.