PDA

View Full Version : Procedure design / PANS OPS ETC

Thai997
28th May 2009, 07:45
G'day people - Im interested in what qualifications are required to design Instrument approaches and airspace design etc....

Do different authorities (JAA/FAA/CAA) require different certification ?

Are there any correspondance courses available ?

Is there much free-lance work available in this area ?

Cheers.

trailblazer
28th May 2009, 08:23
Apparently there's a Danish guy in the UAE who's a real whizz at this stuff.
His good buddy Vercingetorix on this site can get you contact details:E

Vercingetorix
28th May 2009, 08:49
Thai997
Your best route is to check with ICAO or the FAA or the JAA.
There are two well qualified PANS OPS people in the UAE.
One is at OMAA and the other at OMDB.
Trailblazer is being facetious

I paraphrase the basics below:

PANS- OPS visual and Instrument Flight Procedure Design Service shall be established by ANS Provider and shall be in accordance with the Fifth edition of ICAO Doc 8168, volume II, Aircraft operation and its amendments.

Ensure that the procedure is produced by a competent, qualified *person who has successfully completed training in the implementation and application of the standards and criteria specified in ICAO Doc. 8168 and has been accepted by the appropriate Civil Aviation Regulatory Authority; and

Ensure the quality and safety of the procedure design through reviewing, verification, coordination, and validation at appropriate points in the process, so that corrections can be made at the earliest opportunity through the whole design process.

Minimum qualification and Experience Requirement.

Each applicant for PANS –OPS Instrument Procedures Design shall:
Have completed successfully the basic ICAO PANS – OPS Instrument Procedures Design course and shall have the required in – depth knowledge of the principles and applications of instrument procedure design standards, and criteria.
Have an operation experience in the Air Traffic Service not less than five years and hold all Air Traffic Control Ratings.
Have experience in a field providing knowledge of aircraft instrument operations for:
operational personnel from airline operators such as qualified pilots, and approved engineering background.
Have achieved level of Mathematics competency equivalent to ΄ High School΄ standard; and be proficient in the English language.

Skill Requirements.

Each applicant for PANS- OPS Instrument Procedures Design shall have completed an approved ICAO PANS- OPS Instrument Procedures Design course which covers the following subjects:
(a)The applicable documentation:
(1) ICAO Doc 8186 Vol. I** Aircraft Operations / Flight Procedures.
• ICAO Doc 8186 Vol. II Aircraft Operations / Construction of visual and Instrument flight procedures.
• *Annex 14- Aerodrome Vol. I and II
• Annex 4- Aeronautical Charts.**
• Annex 11- Air Traffic Services.
(b) General Criteria:
• Categories of aircraft.**
• Aircraft performance: Turn radii, descent and climb gradients, true airspeeds, and altitude and temperature effects.
• Obstacle clearance evaluation and calculations principles.**
• Establishing minimum altitudes.
• Non- precision Approach.**
• ILS precision Approach.
• Instrument Departures.**
• Basic charting information.
• Principles of RNAV.

Thai997
28th May 2009, 11:34
Exactly what I was after ! - Thankyou!

Vercingetorix
29th May 2009, 01:16
Thai997
Thanks for the reply, Happy to help.:ok:

Quincy M.E.
29th May 2009, 07:54
I paraphrase the basics below:

Where are you paraphrasing from?

I should point out that each Authority will have its own min qualifications and experience requirments for new recruits.

Have an operation experience in the Air Traffic Service not less than five years and hold all Air Traffic Control Ratings. :eek:

Vercingetorix
29th May 2009, 08:22
Quincy
Axiomatic.
The Jordanian CAA.
As said it was the basics for illustrative purposes.

Cheers:ok:

RustyNail
29th May 2009, 14:43
Singapore offers Pans Op 1 & 2 Courses.

The Pans Op basic course can be done by correspondence and in between that and the Pans Op master course I think you need at least 6 months OJT in a procedures/ops department with a qualified airspace planner.

Its been a few months since I checked but if you google PANS OPS COURSES it gives you a few options.

Aucky
3rd Oct 2022, 08:17
Hi all,

Any chance anyone has a copy of DOC8168 Volume 2 7th Edition? I'm not a procedure designed and can't fork out $700+ in this instance for some light bedtime reading but interested to better understand some of the concepts behind procedure design.

Please PM me if so.

Many thanks in advance