PDA

View Full Version : Sydney Tower ATCO

warfuble
27th May 2009, 21:10
ASA Human Resources have just called up and offered me a job working SYD Tower. So I was wanting some info if anyone is willing to share this with me.
- shift times/ length/ breaks
- roster cycles
- level 6 pay. is it enough to live a comfortable life with a family in sydney
- work environment (and as a forgiener will I be welcome)
- any other useful things I should know about to assist in making the decision to accept the job offer.

Thanks.

Duff Man
30th May 2009, 23:52
Level 6 is about AUD 120k plus overtime, public holidays, and superannuation. Use the levels based on your experience and if you can, negotiate higher to a level depending on your years of service (up to 10). Or agree to a start on level 6 during training and increase immediately after checking out. It's enough for a comfortable lifestyle in Sydney so long as the kids don't go to private school.

Don't expect any problems being a foreigner at work, and Sydney is pretty cosmopolitan (*except for non-whites in The Shire and Northern Beaches!).

Are you currently Tower controller or from TMA/area?

warfuble
31st May 2009, 00:15
Tower only for the last 8 years. Rent seems high in SYD so still considering the offer.

lepsep
31st May 2009, 04:55
cost of living very expensive,compared to say Adelaide or even Brisbane . Housing particularly expensive. Nothing decent for under $ 700,000,if you want to live near work and in a reasonable suburb. If you want a beach suburb, nothing decent under 1 million.Rents very high and very limited supply to choose from.You would do much better in Brisbane, Melbourne ,and, Perth would be even a better choice . Good luck.