PDA

View Full Version : Lost Comms

bus2008
25th May 2009, 18:07
Hi all

Just a quick question! I've been looking at the General lost Comms procedures in the Jep Text Manual and its somewhat hazy!

Lets say I'm at FL380 and ready to start my descent and I lose comms with ATC. ( Obviously I would try on 121.50, Acars, etc, but say no joy). Would it be correct to squawk 7600, maintain FL380 and speed and for 7 mins, thereafter follow the descent profile of the STAR? After say you pass the last constraint on the STAR, do you maintain this level to the IAF and then descend in the hold to its min level and then complete the approach or do you carry on descending on the STAR to arrive at the IAF at the min level? (Assume no non standard procedures for this aerodrome, airspace)

Many thanks

flightsearch
25th May 2009, 18:53
as far as i remember ICAO says:

if you are in VMC: land at the nearest suitable airport
if you are in IMC: maintain level to the IAF hold at IAF and descent, use an instrument approach procedure and land within 10min (if possible)

but if you start squawk 7600 I will move aircraft away from you - you never know what the lost a/c will do next...

ciao

Johannes

ron83
25th May 2009, 19:28
use an instrument approach procedure and land within 10min (if possible)
I just think it's 30 minutes ;)

ADIS5000
25th May 2009, 20:13
bus'08

These procedures are generally regarded in the ATC community as indeed being 'somewhat hazy'! My take on it is that you are almost correct. If at the end of the STAR there is no published descent profile you should aim to be at the minimum published level on reaching the IAF. Otherwise follow the published profile. (MATS Pt 1, Section 5, chapter 4 refers. Available on the CAA web site under Publications - Air Traffic.) However, in reality once you squawk 7600 we'll try to keep other traffic away from you and you'll get enough space to cover most eventualities!

Regards, ADIS

criss
26th May 2009, 07:50
Yeah, but to try to keep other traffic away, a reasonable expectance of what you're going to do is required. Many airports have specified procedures in AIP, but that doesn't always help neither.