PDA

View Full Version : You wouldn't, would you......?

ase engineer
25th May 2009, 14:16
From a newspaper....

A reader was on a budget airline flight when the seatbelt sign came on. He assumed it was mid-air turbulence, until he noticed the pilot a few minutes later, go to the loo, and when he returned to the cockpit, the seatbelt sign went off.

Curiously, the same thing happened on his return flight, making him wonder: "Was it the captain just ensuring he doesn't have to queue up with his passengers, and keeping them belted in out of the way?
You wouldn't be so sneaky, would you?

kwachon
25th May 2009, 14:18
Been there, done that. One of the oldest tricks in the book. My old training Captain taught me that one.

bucket_and_spade
25th May 2009, 14:26
Works a treat.

Locked door
25th May 2009, 14:39
Also ensures pax are seated when the cockpit door is opened. Enhances security.

BOAC
25th May 2009, 15:17
Of course, if he was leaving the co-pilot to fly the aircraft, it might have been prudent...................:):)

Bealzebub
25th May 2009, 15:53
You would only consider this if you were some sort of half wit.

Putting the seatbelt signs on usually requires that the cabin service is curtailed or disrupted as the crew then need to ensure the cabin is secure. It might well occur that one of the crew uses the occaission to avail themselves of the facility, but not the other way around.

Not sure where this concept of the "Captain having to queue up" comes from. I find that a simple "excuse me" with a smile does the trick.

Zorst
25th May 2009, 20:30
You wouldn't, would you......?

If I'm the :mad: commander... You bet I would!

Kempus
25th May 2009, 21:04
Thats one of our SOP's. You'll prob find that most EU carriers that dont have the delights of CCTV to monitor the front galley area/cockpit door area for access follow the same procedure. Purely a security measure to make sure no one is hanging about ready to jump in the flight deck as soon as the locked "bullet" proof door is opened!

Although did hear a rather amusing story about a pilot who had a little accident regarding a number 2!

kempus

victorc10
25th May 2009, 21:07
An ex-collegue works for a airline for which the procedure is SOP, mainly for security reasons.

Otto Throttle
26th May 2009, 13:59
I'm more amazed that any of those weak-bladdered old knackers in the LHS were able to hold it in long enough to have turned off the belts in the first place. ;)

aviatordom
26th May 2009, 20:31
Perhaps the crew knew that there would be some turbulence in a couple of minutes time and wanted all the pax to be secured in their seats before it started

The Captain or FO could then go to the loo, and return before the turbulence starts?

just my 2 pence:)

Nicholas49
28th May 2009, 22:26
This is an SOP at FR, is it not? I noticed this happen on a flight back to London a few weeks ago. Female commander, which made me wonder whether it was an SOP or was it at her discretion? Can anyone confirm?

mona lot
28th May 2009, 23:48
Whether or or not to switch the seat belts on or off is ALWAYS at the discretion of the Captain.:ok:

Captain to pax "do you mind if I go in before you?"
Pax "yes I do actually"
Captain "well tough":D:D:D

Nicholas49
29th May 2009, 08:14
mona lot, that is not what I meant. Of course it is at the captain's discretion!

I was asking whether FR company SOPs call for the seatbelt sign to be on when a pilot leaves the flight deck.

tom775257
29th May 2009, 09:39
Well, I fly Ryanair often as pax (at least once a month), it appears to be SOP for security reasons. Also, I think Ryanair do not have the CCTV system installed. Alas security procedures are pointless when if you fly more than once with a company you can notice 'seat belt sign on + smooth flying = cockpit door about to open.' Infact seems darn stupid. Hey ho. (Personal observation not relayed knowledge about security SOP).

Personally I would never put the seatbelt sign on to take a pee, if you politely ask, you will always jump the queue without problems. However, if the sign has been on for a while, if considering to get up to go to the toilet after things have got smooth again, I would ask the captain to leave the sign on until I'm in the toilet!