PDA

View Full Version : Unique AMRAAM Firing

jwcook
24th May 2009, 01:17
Can anyone tell me exactly what was unique about this test firing?.

Source AMRAAM TEST (http://www.eurofighter.com/news/20090104_AMRAAMFiring.asp)

There have been plenty of possible suggestions as to why its Unique.

Yesterday we saw the success of a unique AMRAAM firing trial at Moron Air base in Southern Spain. The trial was the result of close cooperation between the Spanish and British Flight Test Centres of EADS CASA and BAE Systems, under guidance of Eurofighter GmbH, using Eurofighter Typhoons IPA4 and IPA5 - Spanish and British aircraft respectively.

The objective of the testing was to fire the AMRAAM missile from a Eurofighter Typhoon whilst its radar was in passive mode and thus “invisible” for Electronic Support Measures (ESM) Systems. The necessary target data for the missile was acquired by the radar of a second Eurofighter Typhoon and transmitted using the Multi Functional Information Distribution System (MIDS). Both aircraft were separated by quite a distance in range.

This scenario is especially relevant for Eurofighter Typhoon’s Beyond Visual Range (BVR) air combat capability against high level threats, including Low Observable aircraft.

Spain’s IPA4 led the trial as the “firer”, while IPA5 as the “cooperator” illuminated the target with its radar active. This trial is the first known testing of its kind and is the first missile firing that Spain has participated in as part of the Eurofighter Typhoon programme, building on their previous flight test work which includes Meteor environmental testing and air-to-ground weapon trials.

The complex test was meticulously planned over several months and involved a large team of experts from across all partner nations as well as the US, who provided support for the exercise. The trial took place at a closed range in Southern Spain using a Mirach drone.

There was a Rafale test that did this sort of thing with a Mica, so was it unique because it was with an AMRAAM,, because the aircraft were a large distance apart, from different airforces, or what?

And I thought that only the AMRAAM firing aircraft could give mid course updates?.

Cheers

AR1
24th May 2009, 08:44
The trial was the result of close cooperation between the Spanish and British..

That's probably it.

Bunker Mentality
24th May 2009, 09:09
'This trial is the first known testing of its kind and is the first missile firing that Spain has participated in as part of the Eurofighter Typhoon programme.'

Maybe that's why the author felt justified is saying it was unique.

mick2088
24th May 2009, 09:26
Perhaps it was specifically unique to the Eurofighter, test firing AMRAAM with the radar in passive mode, and using one aircraft to fire the AMRAAM and the other to illuminate the target.

jwcook
24th May 2009, 13:27
Blimey a Beadwindow... you forgot the number combination...Roger, out

The press release states "The objective of the testing was to fire the AMRAAM missile from a Eurofighter Typhoon whilst its radar was in passive mode".

If that's what makes it unique then all well and good, but the French did something similar..

French MICA test. (http://www.deagel.com/news/Mica-Performs-Successful-Firing-from-a-French-Air-Force-Rafale-F2_n000002299.aspx)

So I didn't think I'd need to say it but open sources only please..
TA

spheroid
24th May 2009, 14:09
http://www.tpub.com/content/istts/14226/img/14226_45_1.jpg

Beadwindow 2 I think...?

advocatusDIABOLI
25th May 2009, 04:06
This is getting complicated. Just to clarify, without compromising any data:

This test involved the HUSKY getting all around and about with the MAD-DOGs. That was fine, until the PITBULL showed up. Overall it was a great success, but unfortunately, the PITBULL was last seen sh@gging the MAD-DOG and as for the HUSKY, it just went to SLEEP.

Just here to help,

Advo

The Nr Fairy
25th May 2009, 04:42
advocatus:

I think I've seen that film as well - Amsterdam, IIRC.

glad rag
25th May 2009, 16:20
:*:confused::confused::confused::*

Capt Pit Bull
25th May 2009, 17:01
but unfortunately, the PITBULL was last seen sh@gging the MAD-DOG

Rumours of my amorous nature are somewhat exagerated...

Headstone
26th May 2009, 19:05
Spheroid

Should someone have said beadwindow 6 to you?

Violet Club
26th May 2009, 21:16
What was adjudged to be unique for this test, at least in Typhoon terms, was that BAE's IPA5 detected the target and assigned it via MIDS to CASA's IPA4 which shot the Airfix (I mean INTA) target drone whilst remaining 'nose cold'.

Not new to some people, but astounding if you're a Typhoon (trials aircraft).

VC

barnstormer1968
27th May 2009, 08:36
Not wanting to give away any secrets either, but are you hinting that what was unique about this test was the very poor weather?. From what you say it sounds as though it was nearly raining cats and dogs:}

As for one aircraft "looking" while another fires, surely the Swedes did this first using the Viggen.

ProM
27th May 2009, 09:54
Chaps, you are forgetting:

Extract from MOD publication

In these days of reduced budgets everyone and everything is being multi-roled . This includes words. Over the last decade the word unique has now gained two new meanings in addition to its older 'cold war' meaning.

These additional meanings are:
Fairly unusual
Commonplace but sounds good so we want to make it sound even better

This 200% improvement in word capability is an indication of the success achieved by nu-Labour and SMART procurement and allows us to utilise a much more flexible verbalisation appropriate to the modern-day combat environment.

p.s. I seek forgiveness for absuing the English language such as using multi-role as a verb but it was more authentic that way

Wheaters
28th May 2009, 02:46
It was unique because the two aircraft were from different airforces..

jwcook
28th May 2009, 09:02
Thank you Weaters and I'm glad to finally get a sensible reply.

Blimey - no secrets were harmed in the making of this post, though several 'nudge nudge wink winks' were brutalised and a 'shush' was given a nasty fright..;-)

Cheers

cockney steve
28th May 2009, 09:55
[QUOTE][It was unique because the two aircraft were from different airforces../QUOTE]

F:mad:K ME!....Allies co-operating.......whatever next? :}

glad rag
28th May 2009, 17:21
Blimey - no secrets were harmed in the making of this post, though several 'nudge nudge wink winks' were brutalised and a 'shush' was given a nasty fright..;-)

I don't know why I should still care, but to publicly expose a tactic that would ensure that the firer has the greatest chance of survival is not going to do said crews any favours.....
Guess Eurofighter must be getting really desperate to flog some cabs off.....

Interestingly, we tried for YEARS to adjust/tune the \59 for trials (Hawaiian? )for paired firings but despite the theories it did not work in the real world.

Now with data link and high speed data management it seems that paired firings have crossed the final hurdle.

jwcook
28th May 2009, 22:32
While I agree with you on one level - You could be looking at this the wrong way, to publicly expose a new capability may change the operational doctrine of potential opponents to their detriment, or put them off trying anything all together. That's real power projection and does do the crews a favour.

and if it does lead to more 'cabs' being sold then having a large user base is another advantage. There's one disadvantage the Rafale is desperately trying to overcome now and may get lucky at the Paris Airshow..:eek:

Cheers

glad rag
29th May 2009, 12:41
On your first point I completely disagree, paired firing is nothing more than a Tactic.

Tactics are only viable until a counter tactic is deployed.

All this has done is give advance warning to Eutofighter opponents of an extremely useful mode of operation that has suddenly had the clock started on it. Hence the Beadwindow call.

Your second point is intriguing but I am at a loss. Care to "divulge"?

GR.

airborne_artist
29th May 2009, 15:07
It was unique because both aircraft were simultaneously serviceable. The fact than one was Spanish tells us that the trial took place in the morning, but not on a Monday, or a Friday, or a saint's day.