PDA

View Full Version : callsigns

Sid Starz
23rd May 2009, 12:23
Just a quick question as to how callsigns are available to ATC, especially in North America. I was under the impression that the data tag contains the full callsign, but maybe its only the 2 or 3 letter IATA/ICAO code and the controllers use another source to find out the callsign.

The reason for my asking is that our callsign recently changed. In Europe the new callsign is almost always used, but further afield, controllers still use the old callsign. The new one is on the FPL as a RMK/ but this is frequently missed.

Many thanks
SS

Mister Geezer
23rd May 2009, 13:12
From previous experience, I have found that adding callsign information after RMK is often a wasted effort. Since long winded messages like over flight clearance permit numbers etc are often placed after RMK, I suspect that RMK information is often overlooked in a live ATC environment. Would I be right in saying that such data would not show on the strip?

rodan
23rd May 2009, 13:30
I was under the impression that the data tag contains the full callsign, but maybe its only the 2 or 3 letter IATA/ICAO code and the controllers use another source to find out the callsign.
Generally only the 3-letter ICAO code appears on the strip. Some places print the callsign from the ICAO database on the strip as well, but others don't and rely on the controller to either remember them, or look up those they don't know in the book. No strips that I've seen have RMK data on them.

I have no idea how the system for changing these things works, but when the callsign changed, did the 3-letter ICAO code change or stay the same? If it stayed the same then the resulting confusion should have been fairly predictable...

Sid Starz
23rd May 2009, 15:26
The Iata remained the same but the ICAO changed... We are as confused as everyone else...

Is there an good way of getting the new callsign details to the relevant units? Just out of interest, is there a good reason why US units have more trouble than European ones at reacting to the change? Maybe different displays or software...?

Mister Geezer
23rd May 2009, 21:15
This seems to be better in Europe since either the callsign shows up on the strip or the assistant (if any) looks it up. It seems to be far less disciplined out of Europe for some reason, however I can not comment for the US.

We have callsign problems and I sent a couple of AFTN messages to the units affected and noticed that a few controllers changed their tune but that was not really effective. I suspect a phone call or a e-mail to a SATCO or equivalent might work best?