PDA

View Full Version : Request & Position

Aceostrat
22nd May 2009, 04:21
Hello,

1)When a pilot says "request <then pause>" or "position <then pause>" and then leave a room for ATC to say back "go ahead". Consecutively, a pilot says his/her intentions or position reports after that.

2)By the way, I 've heard some other pilots say things like "request/position <and then request/report their positions immediately after>"

What is the difference between the 1) and 2) above. some said 1) is the today procedure which vastly used, but 2) is some old-fashioned voice procedure which such lame pilots are still kept unknown using it.:bored:

Please kindly advise,

IRRenewal
22nd May 2009, 06:55
When a pilot says "request <then pause>" or "position <then pause>" and then leave a room for ATC to say back "go ahead". Consecutively, a pilot says his/her intentions or position reports after that.

Before going into some lengthy transmission explaining what I want or need, I like to make sure the controller is ready and able to receive this. He/she might be on the phone or something.

So if I want something relatively simple I do it in one go ("Bigjet123 request light level 370").

If it is more complicated I would use the two step approach as you observed.

GlueBall
22nd May 2009, 13:57
Isn't it true that recommended ICAO Radio Telephony procedures suggest to state your request on the initial call up? . . . Because the controller may actually hear you the FIRST time, so it's superfluous and frequency congesting to first say "REQUEST" followed be a pause . . . waiting for the controller to respond? :ok:

COF&COE
22nd May 2009, 16:23
Always thought that "Request" or "Position" followed by a break for ATC response was intended for HF, with all it's problems, where you are establishing an unambiguous line of communication prior to stating your request or position. Also you are possibly talking to a radio operator and not an ATC controller.

It's not really required in the VHF world and wastes time on a busy frequency. Would agree however with IRRenewal that it might be useful (and mannerly) if the request is perhaps more complicated than a simple level or heading change.

411A
23rd May 2009, 01:25
...if the request is perhaps more complicated than a simple level or heading change.

...or, you might be flying in Africa, where the ATC folks might be...asleep.:}