PDA

View Full Version : Terminal radar

cottam approach
20th May 2009, 11:37
Hi guys. Starting at the College in Feb. Quick question; If you get streamed Aerodrome, and don't go London airports, when and how long is the terminal radar element taught? Do students return to the college after endorsing in Tower or is the training done immediately after the Aerodrome phase?

Glamdring
20th May 2009, 11:39
Approach Radar training is done straight after you finish aerodrome. It's another 3 months. When you finish you can expect to be sent to Aberdeen and to never talk to a plane again :}:ok:

twentypoint4
20th May 2009, 12:23
I am also starting at the college soon on an aerodrome course.

I was wondering whether or not it is pretty rare that someone is placed straight at a London Approach unit after completing an aerodrome course? Is it more common that the London Approach controllers have come from having experience at smaller units before hand?

Cheers

Glamdring
20th May 2009, 13:31
For London approach you will still need to do the Approach Radar course after Aerodrome (Kinda obvious). They usually post a whole course at a time to TC. I believe the APS course that just finished (217?) all got posted to TC.

twentypoint4
20th May 2009, 14:46
Cool cheers. Lets hope my car makes it to Aberdeen then...

anotherthing
20th May 2009, 15:18
Cottam approach,

I'm guessing your ex-mil from your user name... Glamdring is pulling your leg... if you go aeordrome the nearest you will get to military controlling will be Aberdeen - has multiple runways in use at same time and a good mix of types incl rotary.

It is probably the most interesting aerodrome or approach or combined tower/app unit in NATS as far as the mix is concerned.

Shame it's in the Polar Circle :}

Glamdring
20th May 2009, 17:36
Agreed, it is probably the most interesting aerodrome or approach or combined tower/app unit in NATS. Assuming you get TWR/APP and don't get put on offshore radar.

cottam approach
20th May 2009, 19:38
Anotherthing,

Almost ex-mil, correct! Had a conversation with HR today and it seems i'm fortunate enough, because of when i'm starting at the college, to have the choice of an area or aerodrome course. In a real quandry, would love to do aerodrome but it seems a complete lottery as to whether i'd be fortunate enough to get the app training (or unfortunate enough depending on your view) I'm mostly just happy to be going civil and realise I have a mountain to climb before even thinking about postings but it's such a hard decision. Also, finding it difficult to imagine how London airports' trainees manage on the training wage in the big smoke? (seems to me like majority of aerodrome guys would go London airports.... although stand to be corrected!)

aerotech07
20th May 2009, 21:13
In a real quandry, would love to do aerodrome but it seems a complete lottery as to whether i'd be fortunate enough to get the app training (or unfortunate enough depending on your view)

Postings and streamings are always a lottery with NATS :ok: More seriously though, towards the end of my Aerodrome course we were all asked whether we would prefer a London posting or do the approach course. It ended up being a 50/50 split between the courses, and nearly everyone got what they asked for. Ok; we were perhaps very lucky, but sometimes you have at least the oppurtunity to give them an idea where you're coming from.

As regards to whether to choose Area/Aerodrome, well its been done to death, and without going into it, the general consensus seems to be that people love whichever discipline they end up in.

If Approach radar is what you want to do long term, then Aerodrome is a good choice. Even if you ended up going to a London TWR, they are all great tower units in their own way and you'll have a great time and get great experience. There will then always be the oppurtunity at some point to move on, and do the radar course. Or you could end up at a unit that has both TWR/APP "both of best worlds" and there are the Approach only postings (Aberdeen offshore and London TC). As stated above, the college tend to know TC requirments a while in advance.

BigDaddyBoxMeal
20th May 2009, 22:51
Hi guys. Starting at the College in Feb.

Feb 2010... hmm... will NSL still exist then ? ;)

chevvron
20th May 2009, 23:55
Simple answer:-
If you like to watch planes, go for Aerodrome, if you're just greedy for money, go for Area.

privatesandwiches
21st May 2009, 00:25
Simple answer:-
If you would like to continue working for NATS, choose area.
If you would like to choose the great unknown, choose aerodrome and head into the turmoil that is NSL....... either way, all the best :ok: