PDA

View Full Version : CAA Permit to Fly (Homebuilts) - French Overflight

Southern Cross
20th May 2009, 11:08
Dear All

I am interested in hearing whether anyone knows if overflight permission for France can be obtained from the DGAC on an annual basis for a homebuilt aircraft having a CAA Permit to Fly.

I am aware that aircraft having an LAA Permit to Fly benefit from a standing overflight permission for France such that no application for overflight is required.

Likewise I know that ex-military CAA Permit to Fly aircraft require specific overflight permission and the DGAC tends only to grant it for things like airshows, maintenance, etc.

However for something like a Glasair III (random example), which is a homebuilt but not apparently eligible for a LAA Permit, can annual exemptions be obtained for France? Annual exemptions can apparently be obtained for such aircraft for other countries like Belgium, Holland and Germany.

Many thanks in advance
SC.

Southern Cross
20th May 2009, 12:25
There is a specific exemption for LAA aircraft which was granted in terms that specifically referred to permits to fly issued by the Popular Flying Association. This does cover most homebuilts because most are PFA / LAA aircraft. However there are some types which are not covered by the PFA / LAA.

Ex-mil permitted aircraft are treated differently by the French and I know that because I am applied for an overflight at the moment for just such a machine and its not a simple process.

So that leaves CAA permit to fly homebuilts, which don't benefit from the PFA (LAA) exemption, but perhaps have another means of achieving overflight.