PDA

View Full Version : Airbus A300 Flight simulation

LATEST
13th Nov 2001, 16:17
Does anyone know if any airbus A300 simulator graphics are on the web ?

moggie
13th Nov 2001, 16:53
Latest - which newspaper are you employed by? Or do you work for the wapping liar?

Just looked at your profile - at least ITN is a bit better than the Sun!

[ 13 November 2001: Message edited by: moggie ]

LATEST
13th Nov 2001, 17:00
I dont work for a newspaper - I work for ITN. Why does that matter to you ?

Raw Data
13th Nov 2001, 17:47
Because, latest, most pilots assume that, being a correspondent, you are trawling PPRuNe for juicy tidbits to include in a probably highly innacurate, sensationalist piece of reportage that will make us all want to vomit. For this reason, nobody here is likely to trust you, or want to help you.

Of course, it could well be that you are a responsible journalist who is simply trying to establish as many facts as possible, do proper background research, and act in a professional manner. We don't know, and naturally tend to mistrust. There are exceptions to this, some journalists have earned our trust over the years by proving themselves to be trustworthy. Others have proven themselves to be quite the reverse.

There are thousands of flight simulation forums on the internet, suggest you try a search using "flight sim" or something like that.

Captain Airclues
13th Nov 2001, 18:00
Rather than be antaganistic towards journalists, perhaps we should be helping them, so that we don't get a repeat of the misinfirmation in todays papers. I can't speak for Capt PPRuNe, but I welcome them so long as they declare their interest and don't pretend to be something else.
For your information, when pilots talk about 'losing an engine' they mean that the engine has failed, not that it has dropped off. The later would be described as engine separation. If an engine separated from the airframe, it also takes with it the hydraulics and pneumatics which can cause serious problems with aircraft control particularly on take-off when the flaps might still be extended.

(Edited to remove my own theory which was pure speculation)

Airclues

[ 13 November 2001: Message edited by: Captain Airclues ]

unwrapping the aog
13th Nov 2001, 18:21
Why should we help the press who quite obviously started making up stories before the flames were even put out. We all now what oversensationalising stories is doing to OUR lively hoods. I suspaected what might have been in the papers yesterday but I was horriied to read the garbarge they actually printed.

I will do my bit to help the Editor of the Daily Mirror then by correcting this mornings papers Headlines.

DIFFERENT AIRCRAFT
DIFFERENT AIRPORT
DIFFERENT FLIGHT PHASE (who'd ever hijacked an aircraft on take off!)

COINCEDENCE?
NO,
F**K ALL TO DO WITH BIN LADEN?
IT WOULD SEEM SO.

brabazon
13th Nov 2001, 18:47
Maybe it's time for a bit of reflection here.

I watched some of the coverage yesterday on the 24 hour news channels. To some extent I feel sorry for the presenters and producers as they feel a need to continually update us on what's happening. However, the problem with such accidents is that it takes a while for data to come through. Perhaps in such occasions it would be better to say there's been an accident - we'll update you as we get "official" bulletins. Instead we get a stream of "experts" who have little time to be fully briefed on what's going on, who try to give informative answers, but who sometimes lead to red herrings - ie confusion on what is meant by "losing an engine", reliability of A300s etc etc.

I'm sure there are many news editors clamouring for stories at the moment, but maybe it's time to hold back a bit and wait for the NTSB et al to give their briefings.

LATEST
13th Nov 2001, 18:50
Maybe it would be better if Capt Pprune deleted this forum as it seems, rather predictably, to have become an excuse to discuss the merits of journalists, rather than anything more interesting. I think its a shame that one question submitted by someone who gives their profile openly should trigger off a neurotic stream of insults about tabloid journalism. If thats what people want to discuss why dont they set up their own forum - and let the rest of us discuss aviation issues. Why tar everyone with the same brush?

moggie
13th Nov 2001, 19:11
Latest - I apologise if my question brought a stream of vitriol down upon you, that was not my intention. I was infact taking a dig at the Sun, which most intelligent people will regard as a worthy objective.

As you will see from my post on "Vertical Stabiliser" I have tried to give you help, but at the same time I would also ask you and your colleagues to try try to rein in some of the "experts" who crawl out from under the woodwork to give us theories with no evidence to back them up. I have made the point on the other thread that until MUCH more evidence is available we will have little or no idea what happened to that Airbus yesterday, and anyone who tells you otherwise is a fool or a liar.

If you are aiming for informed, accurate and sensitive journalism then I applaud you and ask you to do your best to raise standards. However, excuse my contemporaries if they are a little touchy about some of the rubbish written/spoken in the media recently - I am in agreement with them on most of it!

If you stick to the facts, avoid wild speculation and accepth that it takes time to get to the causes of accidents then we will gladly haelp you - but scare stories are not good for our job prospects, so don't be surprised if we are critical of the results of journs efforts.

Maybe if your login name included the words "TV news researcher" then we would be happier. At present it contains no info about your motives for being here, although I recognise the frankness on your profile. However, we do not all have the time/inclination to check profiles.

Again, apologies for the assault - that was not my aim.

Jon Gulliver
13th Nov 2001, 19:12
Latest,
You have to understand that at the moment our industry is under an enormouse amount of pressure. The shambolic reporting that resulted from yesterdays tragedy, the rampant sensationalism, the blatant inaccuracies, I could go on but I won't. It would be great if the reports about our industry were accurate, generally speaking they are riddled with errors. It would be great if reporters waited for the accident reports before putting forward their reasons as to why crashes happen. I know you all have copy deadlines, your next promotion probably depends on how good the stories you uncover are-at least you have a job, many of our colleagues do not. The continuous stream of diatribe(I know pot calling kettle over) that perpetuates public uncertainty and stokes up the fear is doing nearly everybody no good at all, I say nearly everybody because there is one group it is helping....

This is not aimed at you personally, you have had the good grace to put your profile on the forum and I am sure your motives are good and honest. I am just trying to help you understand why there is so much mistrust of the press. ;)

LATEST
13th Nov 2001, 19:16
Group Hug.
xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Biggles Flies Undone
13th Nov 2001, 19:22
Some valid points all round.

I’ve been reading and contributing to PPRuNe long enough to know why there is such suspicion of journos within the PPRuNe community – but I also know that good reporting can have a very positive result for everybody.

Charlotte (LATEST) - John Farley is a highly respected chap in the Aerospace world and he has given you some very sound advice on the ‘Vertical Stabilizer’ thread. Full marks to you for being open about your reasons for posting, but you need to build trust here if you really are serious about getting informed advice. Whining about your present reception won’t work.

It is a sad fact that incidents such as the AA crash do happen from time to time and, if you want to seek help here, you should try building trust. Why not post details of your research and how it is used – let people know which bulletins or programmes it will appear in? If PPRuNers see responsible, informed reporting they will be much more inclined to help you.

moggie
13th Nov 2001, 19:27
Keep smiling, latest. Not all of the insults were aimed at you.

I will try to help you but will stop if I feel ITN is talking cobblers on this subject (mmmmmmm.... may be difficult to spot in all the other cobblers!).

Seriously though, if you and your colleagues will make an effort to be responsible we will help. Keep feeding us scare stories and we won't.

PS- Why does Trevor MacDonald win awards when he is such a cr@p newsreader? However, shrewd move dumping Peter Sissons on the beeb!!!!!!

LATEST
13th Nov 2001, 19:32
Im not using this research for anything - I'm asking a question so that I can better understand what you are all discussing.
I dont suppose anyone wants to actually help me with my initial question - or would you all rather talk about your feelings about journalism?
Why don't you set up a rival website called professionaljournalistsrumour network and discuss your real interests - whining about the press.

moggie
13th Nov 2001, 19:36
Are you after pictures of simulators, pictures of flightdecks, simulated pictures of aeroplanes, video/graphics of simulated aeroplanes or what? Try www.airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net) and run a search, that should throw something up for you.

Just trying to help.

LATEST
13th Nov 2001, 19:37
Moggie - thanks for that!
There's alot of cobblers about - you're so right.
I know you are all lovely really..

:rolleyes:

cosmo kramer
13th Nov 2001, 19:42
If you want pictures of the cockpit (is that what you are looking for?), why don't just do a seach on www.airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net) ?

----
Moggie beat me to it.

Here is a direct link to a picture of the flightdeck:
http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=199564

[ 13 November 2001: Message edited by: cosmo kramer ]

stagger
13th Nov 2001, 19:47
Charlotte,

You think "it's a shame that one question submitted by someone who gives their profile openly should trigger off a neurotic stream of insults about tabloid journalism."

I wonder why? What was the question exactly? it was "Does anyone know if any airbus A300 simulator graphics are on the web?"

Now assuming you mean computer generated external views of an A300 in flight it doesn't take too much imagination to work out what you might be planning to use this for. A speculative graphical reconstruction of the events that occurred over Jamaica Bay by any chance?

birdsong
13th Nov 2001, 19:51
Try This http://surclaro.com/nuke/html/download.php?op=search&query=&cid=1

LATEST
13th Nov 2001, 19:55
Thank you Moggie - have found that website really helpful.

I'm looking for info on the simulators as I was interested in knowing how far pilots are trained in flying without both engines - whether this is part of the training or not. Not looking to make up a fantasy reconstruction over Jamaica Bay....would seem a tasteless suggestion to make.

buck-rogers
13th Nov 2001, 19:56
What a crazy waste of server space...

At last, an answer!

boris
13th Nov 2001, 20:00
LATEST,
Yesterday afternoon, as the story was unfolding, one of your (ITN) commentators was busy explaining to the viewers that the twin-engined A300 would prove impossible to control after an engine failure at high weight after take-off. He actually went through various degrees of difficulty before arriving at this grossly inaccurate conclusion......
Could this typify why we sometimes have difficulty liasing with media people?

LATEST
13th Nov 2001, 20:15
Thank you Birdsong, Cosmo Kramer, Moggie, Biggles Flies Undone (I seriously hopes he stays in the cockpit) and Buck Rogers. I'm following up the suggestions you have posted. much appreciated.

Boris - I work for Channel 5 News - another programme made by ITN. I didn't see the commentator you saw on ITV. It is always frustrating listening to others talking inaccurately about something you have expertise in. :)

Capt PPRuNe
13th Nov 2001, 20:17
I am moving this thread to the Questions forum where it should have gone in the first place. Also, can I please ask that we don't all take a leaf out of the tabloid journalists handbook and stop jumping to conclusions before we know what the questioner wants.

Yes, some journalists are highly irresponsible and others are the opposite. In this case, the person is asking as simple question in order to be able to gather more data in order, hopefully, to produce a report that is as accurate as possible. I find it astounding that some people are so quick to condemn all journalists and especially this one who I have known for some time just because they discovered that they had put their true job description in their profile.

How many times do we have to put up with speculation on here that is often very wrong and sometimes many times worse than the worst excesses of the tabloids and sensationalist 'experts'? At least we should know better being in the job.

So, please try to keep to the topic. As pointed out, the often repeated diatribes against journalists are not necessary on here. As long as the debate can remain reasonably civil and we do try to cultivate some proper links with the press in order that we can get them to take more care in their reporting then no problem. If anyone wants to go into a mouth foaming rant against them then may respectfully suggest that they do so at The Professional Journalists Rumour Network and we all have that group hug as suggested!
:eek: