PDA

View Full Version : Best way to become an ATCO?

JackRalston
18th May 2009, 19:21
Hi people

Right, I know when you open this thread, you will be thinking "oh no not this again!" so yes I do apologise about this as I know it has been talked about a lot. So please bare with me :)

I am 19 and I am currently finishing my first year at University studying Combined Honours in Computing and Geography. I have 4 A2-levels (I.T, Geography, PE, General Studies) and 1 As-Level (Maths).

I am wondering what the best path towards becoming an ATCO is? Most of you will say NATS straight away. Yes, this is the best way but the problem I see with it is that most people who graduate are allocated to Control Centres and I am very interested in going into Aerodrome instead.

I have had past experience of working in an Airport environment. For my high school work experience week, I worked at Manchester Airport in Baggage Management, Apron Control and Terminal Information Desks. I got to spend a few hours observing in the Control Tower as well. I have been in contact with an ATCO at Manchester Airport and he said that the best method is through NATS. I have contacted Liverpool Airport as well for some advice. I have been on a day visit to Liverpool Control Tower which was organised by a friend of mine and that was very benefical.

I am interested in working as an ATCA to gain experience of working within such an environment. Even working for one afternoon for free just to get some experience would be great. I do know that most NATS airports are starting to lay these positions off so Liverpool might be a good choice as they non-NATS.

Any advice or contacts would be brill!

Thanks

Jack

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
18th May 2009, 19:38
The heading of your thread is somewhat misleading because what you really want to know is how to become an ATCO at an airfield....

The only way to guarantee working at an airfield is to try and get a position at a non-State airfield. Some will pay for their staff to undertake approved training courses but the only alternative is to pay yourself for a training course. That will cost you an arm and a leg and you will not be guaranteed a job.

If you opt for NATS, they are undoubtedly the best employer but you have to go where they send you and that's more likely to be a centre.

I wish you luck, but will not be easy.

matspart3
18th May 2009, 21:29
Jack
Unlikely, I know, but if you've got £30k spare, you could fund your own training at ASTAC, Gloucestershire Airport or BAE Systems, Cwmbran; the only two other approved UK ATC Colleges. I know ASTAC also have their own 'cadetship.'

A large proportion of the non-NATS units have 'in house' training policies, often sponsoring their ATCAs' training, so it's worth writing to the ATS Managers at wherever you want to work.

First and foremost, though, make sure you meet the CAA's Class One medical standards. Simple things like colour blindness and diabetes can rule you out.

paperclip810
18th May 2009, 22:17
Hiya Jack,

Three main thoughts:

Have you been to an area control centre? I too would prefer to work in an aerodrome environment, but when I went to visit Prestwick a few months back, I thoroughly enjoyed it and realised that I wanted to be an ATCO in general more than specifically an aerodrome ATCO. You never know, you might be surprised how much you like it!

NATS will let you specify which stream you would prefer if you are successful in their selection processes - you can specify a choice of aerodrome or area before you start at college (that wasn't the case a while ago) so it's not just random selection. I asked for Aerodrome and got it, so there's hope yet...

The harsher one: Why are you asking now? You must have either 2 or 3 years left at uni, and I thought that should be your priority at the moment. And there is the final thing to consider - what if you don't make it?

Scooby Don't
19th May 2009, 02:53
I would agree with paperclip810 that having a degree to fall back on is a good thing, and in any case a degree can be its own reward.

I must take issue with HD though, with due deference to his (I believe) being a retired ATCO. It may once have been true that NATS was "undoubtedly the best employer" but these days, at least at my old unit, morale is in the toilet. Some people don't entirely trust the company to fund the pension scheme for those lucky enough to actually be in it, and those joining now have nothing close to the retirement benefits accorded HD and others of his era. The banding exercise of a few years ago was a classic case of management sewing division between different groups of staff, aided and abetted by a union which keeps its powder dryer than might be thought possible in a humid climate.

For those without the money to fund their training privately, NATS is the best way into ATC in the UK, and despite what management may think it's fair to say that 5 years post-training is a perfectly reasonable return of service for those who seek greener pastures. The RAF and RN are probably good for the lifestyle, though not what they once were, and with them the job involves more variety. What they don't offer is the chance to walk straight into a civilian ATCO job without further training.

JackRalston
19th May 2009, 16:10
It might be questionable why I am asking now whilst I am just about to finish my first year of University. I am just curious so I can plan ahead.

The degree will of course help me in the future if I cannot get an ATCO position. I am thinking of going into NATS as the main route because I don't have to pay for it myself. With a non-NATS such as liverpool, I have to pay for the course myself.