PDA

View Full Version : WSSS Emergency Procedures

truman41
18th May 2009, 07:21
Could anyone explain the trigger for deploying emergecncy services at Changi Airport Singapore? if an airplane has to return to Changi after a malfunction detected do they have to declare and emergancy or will fire trucks and ambluances automatically deployed there?
Perhaps someone knows an answe to this?

arba
18th May 2009, 07:36
Depends, whether you declaring emergency or not , I guess.

ecureilx
19th May 2009, 04:13
Can I ask why ?

From what I know, WSSS - SIN is as equipped as any 24 hour airports.

There are a lot of night movements, and I have seen the Fire Service being called to cool brakes, monitor movements, especially when there is a Russkie in town.

Fire Stations (http://www.caas.gov.sg/caas/en/About_CAAS/CAAS_Services/Airspace_MO/Airport_Emergency/Fire_Stations.html)

Approach CAAS for any assistance

Old Smokey
19th May 2009, 22:24
If you ever have a genuine emergency, pray that Singapore Changi (WSSS) is one of the airports nearby. You could not ask for better help.:ok:

If you ever have a lesser problem, no great drama, pray that you are as far from Singapore as possible. Seriously, if you have a relatively minor problem, and just need a bit of time and space to sort it out, better to divert somewhere else. There will be a never ending series of non-stop questions, your blood group, your paternal grandmother's maiden name, the correct answer to 27 Down in the Times Crossword, the list goes on, it seems that the controller has some never ending list of questions to ask, usually ending with "What is your problem?". It's tempting to say that the only real problem is that ATC won't bugger off out of the cockpit and let us sort out a minor problem.

It should be mandatory for Singapore ATC to watch the You Tube link to the very measured and MEANINGFUL communications from both controllers and pilots in the Thomson B757 engine failure at Manchester, an excellent example to everyone!:ok:

Regards,

Old Smokey (who has experienced excellent assistance at WSSS when it was REALLY needed)

NZScion
20th May 2009, 05:46
Smokey - Think of using the old "Standby"? Can be used to great effect by ATC, particularly if the tone of the voice is there. There's no reason why us pilots can't use it in return :E

leewan
20th May 2009, 08:38
Hi Old Smokey, if u don't mind, can you explain what was your nature of emergency in WSSS ? Have to say, these guys do tend to overreact at times.
There was once an Airbus that needed to ATB due to failure to raise landing gear and there was at least 3 fire engines standing by at the bay with all their emergency lights on. ( Not including other vehicles, like police, airport authority !)If i was the pax on the flight and if the capt didn't make an announcement to the nature of the problem, I would be very freaked out to see that amount of emergency vehicle standing by for my a/c.:eek:
And one more thing, in WSSS you have to declare the pax on board when u r requesting dep clearance ? Is it the same in other countries as well ?

Old Smokey
21st May 2009, 10:52
NZScion & leewan,

In advance of answering, I do want to confirm that if you are in genuine dire need, you could not hope for better help than in Singapore, truly first class:D

"Standby" will work in Singapore, for about 5 seconds, and then the never ending tirade of questions commences, totally distracting you from attending to the problem at hand. They are, as they say, "kiasu", which, loosely translated means grossly over-reacting and in an entirely hyper-active way. Native Singaporeans could give you a better definition of "kiasu".

You mentioned tone of voice NZScion, yes, limited value, Bugger off said emphatically would probably achieve more.

I really don't want to go into the specifics of my own serious problem, it is and was well known and would give away my jealously guarded anonymity. Suffice it to say that it was a Flight Control problem of the most serious nature.

I DO recall the Airbus case when the gear could not be raised, I was doing circuit training at the time and overhead the entire drama which lasted several hours whilst he burned off fuel. ATC needed progress reports every minute or two, I suspect that the pilot concerned probably felt like making the call which I suggested earlier.

I don't think the POB thing is unique to Singapore, but it certainly is mandatory there (a good thing). Not a great many other places require it.

Again I say, when you REALLY need them, you could not do better than Singapore ATC!:ok:

Regards,

Old Smokey

Scott Diamond
21st May 2009, 11:10
So you aren't Captain Lim then Smokey? Big huge praises if you are!

leewan
21st May 2009, 15:58
The airbus incident i was referring to happened 2 years ago on a 330. I think the incident you are referring to was the one on the 3ten bound for japan, if i can recall correctly.
Speaking of tone of voice in an emergency, you guys should listen to the ATC transcript of the Hudson river incident. The tech crew sound calm and cool, like it was another day in the office. Compared to the ATC who sounded panicky and doing everything they can to assist them
Old Smokey, is there anything that can entice you into revealing the details ? :) A/c type, etc, etc.
And did it happen in the 90s ?
Didn't know an incident worthy of an episode on Air Crash Investigation happened in my own backyard.

Old Smokey
22nd May 2009, 11:16
leewan,

I was indeed referring to the Japan bound A310, not the A330.

My own incident happened in the 90's, didn't even scratch the paint work, but I did have to request that the emergency vehicles waiting alongside the runway clear away, because I could not guarantee sufficient control to avoid hitting them if we could not keep the aircraft on the runway. Not quite in Al Haynes' class of control problems, but serious nevertheless.

No AirCrash report because we landed safely (It was not easy).

Anonymity is golden, PM me if you want further details, but promise me that you're not my boss. As you well know, our company does not like incident "leaks".:)

Regards,

Old Smokey