PDA

View Full Version : Raf Snco Atc

gconaty
17th May 2009, 18:13
Does anyone know how long the recruitment process takes for SNCO ATC? I understand it is a priority trade at the moment although i've heard of many applicants for other trades who have waited months for OASC.

Hootin an a roarin
17th May 2009, 19:02
I left the RAF a while ago but in my time you either joined as an assistant and worked your way up or straight in as an officer controller. There were no direct entry SNCO controllers. OASC was for officers or SNCO aircrew recruits.

Things may have changed but I am not aware of this.

gconaty
17th May 2009, 19:04
The RAF have recently introduced the SNCO ATC role. From what i understand the selection process is similar to if not the same as that for NC Aircrew. The RAF have listed the role of SNCO ATC on their website as 'most wanted'. I was intrigued to find out whether or not this would mean that the application process is slightly quicker than that of other roles.

norvenmunky
18th May 2009, 07:15
SNCO Air Traffic Controller - Air operations support careers - RAF Careers (http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers/jobs/sncoairtrafficcontroller.cfm)

Hootin an a roarin
18th May 2009, 10:40
gconaty

Sorry I stand corrected.

It does state on the advert posted by norvenmunky that the post is an officer (which it isn't) and to gain professional atc qualifications.

Just be aware that Officers and the ranks are treated quite differently in the services. If you can aim for the officer side of things you will be better off in my experience (I was in the ranks). Again since I left things might have changed and the different ranks might have got a lot cosier.

Also unless things again have changed the qualifications are not recognised in civvie street. The experience gained obviously helps a great deal if/when you may leave the service but you still have to train at the civilian college courses.

I enjoyed my time in the RAF and wouldn't have swapped it but I am far better off in civvie street.

Good luck

whowhenwhy
18th May 2009, 15:32
If you're on the outside and want in, the choice can be fairly simple. If you want to control (in the military) and only control, come in as a DE SNCO. You may get some opportunities to step a little away from mainstream ATC, but not much. If you want to have job opportunities away from mainstream ATC once you have proved that you can do that, then gain the educational qualifications to go onto the commissioned side.

In terms of how you're treated, at the lower experience levels as a controller, everyone is effectively treated the same. As you get more experienced you get a little widening of the 2 streams in that the officer's will get supervisory responsibility earlier and will get the opportunity to become Examiners. SNCOs will get the opportunity for supervisory experience, but only in the personnel management side of things. Once they've got to the rank of WO then they have the opportunity to undertake air traffic supervisor duties.

That's a little broad brush, but not too far removed from reality!

Hootin an a roarin
18th May 2009, 17:11
In terms of how you're treated, at the lower experience levels as a controller, everyone is effectively treated the same

In work maybe, but outside of the tower its different between an officers world and that of the 'ranks'.

whowhenwhy
22nd May 2009, 19:19
Agreed - the food and beer are much better in the Sergeant's Mess:ok:

Monkey Madness
24th May 2009, 14:15
Agreed - the food and beer are much better in the Sergeant's Messhttp://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

Well.... until CRL or what ever it's called this week arrives at your mess :ugh::mad:

whowhenwhy
25th May 2009, 19:24
What, save as you starve? Do you know I haven't got a clue when that's coming in over here. I just remember Sir Clive arriving a few years ago on his morale boosting tour of the front line telling us that he'd directed the blunties to cancel PAYD. That went well then Sir!