PDA

View Full Version : ATC Training: ab initio et seq.

go-rownd
17th May 2009, 08:48
Surely, in these days of "Open Learning", some Training Institution should be able to devise delivery of all ICAO Course 051 (Basic ATC) into an on-line format.

Perhaps ICAO might show some leadership in such development.

Once available Free Online, any Higher School student might explore the various modules (ICAO, AvLaw, Navigation, etc) and avail of "Examinations", provided with answer pages to self determine their advance in each subject.

Then, when ATC TRAINING is advertised for individual State's requirements, there could exist a knowledgeable coterie of applicants capable of, at least, attending the interview process with some concept of the requirements of the job.

Too easy........ over....

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
17th May 2009, 10:59
Navigation was a GCE subject once. Is it no longer?

SINGAPURCANAC
17th May 2009, 11:37
I will further improve your idea:
At the beginning of primary school (children aged 6 or below) we should divide children into two groups. future twr/app workers and ACC workers.Following such idea we will learn them from the beginning basic radar techniques or things like separation in the vicinity of the airfield and so on. Once when they became teenagers we will introduce a few more courses such as: Introduction to HUM,Airspace design and flow management, various management courses and so on.
If we apply such approach to youngsters,we may expect that when they turned 21 toghether with the first license we will promote them to adequate position such,safety manager,or human resource maanager and so on. For the best in generation Director General position should be available. If candidate accept this. :E

If we turned back to today' ATC problems we will realize that we need:
-more youngsters,that are ready to learn,accept advice and show respect to job.If they meet requirments they will be quite good for job. Preknowledge couldn't solve current problems. There is no vacancy(because our managers don't see future and trends),if vacancy arise HRD ussualy makes mistakes and process lasts for ages,than trainning facility could not meet operational requirments,than OJTI must learn trainees as they have never seen anything connected with aviation that implicates longer way to rating,and once they become rated they realize that ATC shortage and bad management is our life. :ok:
So e-courses as a prerequisite is not solution. :=

RobertK
17th May 2009, 15:56
Surely, in these days of "Open Learning", some Training Institution should be able to devise delivery of all ICAO Course 051 (Basic ATC) into an on-line format.
What for?
So the bean counters get an excuse to reduce training, putting the burden of initial learning on people who might do it all for naught because they then still fail the entry tests (like 90%+ do)?

From what (and who) I saw in the entry tests and initial training, prior knowledge has little to no impact on someone being successful during it or not.
There will still be many new things to learn, and many traits are important which you simply cannot learn.

(And for those still curious on those subjects taught during initial training, like nav, meteorology, aircraft systems etc. - with some initiative, you can find it all online already).

Regards,

Robert

Jerricho
17th May 2009, 16:23
(And for those still curious on those subjects taught during initial training, like nav, meteorology, aircraft systems etc. - with some initiative, you can find it all online already)

Agreed. It's becomes evident very quickly when an ab initio has a genuine interest in aviation and some knowledge to go with, and that cetainly CAN be a good thing. Unfortunately, I've also seen trainees in the past that have managed to get their hands on a Manual of Operations (MATS, whatever) who have quite obviously read and read the various chapters and pitch up day one "knowing it all" already. I guess some points for trying, but without context, it can be counter productive.

and many traits are important which you simply cannot learn.

:ok:

How many Instructors out there have seen trainees who get +99% on their written exams absolutely tank in the simulator? Great that you can quote vebatim ATC MANOPS Page 1-33 Section 140, yet constantly vector aircraft through the localizer........

chevvron
17th May 2009, 19:03
HD: Nav was a GCE subject but only if you were in the Air Training Corps or (possibly) CCF.
Having been told my services were no longer required by the corps some years ago, I don't know if it's still available, but I believe cadets can still get nav. wings at an AEF, and they used to have to have passed GCE Navigation to get the course.

Spitoon
17th May 2009, 19:07
Did an Air Navigation 'O' level myself many years ago - never been in the Air Training Corps......

Loki
17th May 2009, 20:06
Ditto

I`ve got O levels in Navigation and Seamanship....taught at school. If Graham White is out there, he`ll have the same.

go-rownd
18th May 2009, 12:16
My origination of this thread follows much dissatisfaction in the current.... well, recent.... experiences I've had in OZ!

Instructing to ICAO 051 standards can be accomplished in 7 weeks (250 hours) to willing participants. Yes, you can!! Albeit, with capable instructors and accepting "delegates"!

Seemingly, to find willing participants, OZ HR conducts all the requisite "TESTING" and assessments of applicants: Spatial Orientation; Abstract Reasoning; Impartial Cognisance; CRM.... the list goes on... and then has the applicants await a recognisance period of up to 12 months (or more..if replied to)! CRuD!!

Were it within my abilities, the construct of ONLINE participation in self assessment of spatial orientation & abstract reasoning capabilities COULD be made available to those who might consider ATC a potential career.

Thereafter, pre-training in 051's subjects might make the "Instructor Module 1-Ab Initio" less harrowing.... MAYBE!

Over, red rover!:sad:

Course ID: 051 (ab-initio programme)Duration: 7 Weeks (250 Hours)Language: EnglishDescription: ICAO Technical Guidelines: Course 051Aim: To provide the trainee with a comprehensive introduction to Air Traffic Services in general and to develop specific theoretical skills in Air Traffic Services procedures and techniques required as essential base knowledge prior to stream training.Course Outline: The course includes theoretical and practical instruction in the following:
• Air Traffic Services General
• Air Law
• Communications
• Meteorology
• Navigation
• Radio and Navigation Aids
• Aircraft Performance and Operations
• Aviation Language
• Human Factors
• Flight Deck Experience Practical
• Radar Introduction Practical-ATS SkillsPrerequisites: Students should meet the entry criteria detailed in ICAO Annex 1.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
18th May 2009, 12:18
<<RAF Spitalgate>> Aaarrgghh

My wife did her initial WRAF training at that place; it was not pleasant (for her)!

Booville Monroe
20th May 2009, 02:21
Go-rownd opens a can of worms here. He hits the nail right on the head when he says ATC training should be 'computerised'. It is way behind 'World's Best Practice' delivery methods adopted by virtually every other industry. Why? Because there is no desire for change. The less efficient an ATC training organisation is the more secure and more profitable it is. The higher the fail rate the more important it is that others be trained to fill the need for controllers. ANSPs can't simply outsource their training when graduate pass rate does not meet staffing requirements.

For this reason ATC training would be without doubt the most expensive and least efficient of all professions, entirely because of the antiquated (one-on-one) delivery method. Most of the theory delivery could be done right now, as go-rownd suggests, by computer-based or on-line methods. The fact that is isn't is explained above. But, unfortunately, theory does not teach a person to do Air Traffic Control. It is a skill that requires subconscious processing of sensory inputs to produce a physical reaction in real time, exactly the same as is required to drive a car or fly an aircraft. So, lengthy learning of the theory does not prepare a candidate for training, or give him/her any real indication of aptitude for the job. It is only when real practical training is done by computer-based methods that true change will come to ATC recruitment and training.

All of which explains why an Australian training course called VV Approach, has received a very cool reception from various ATC training establishments. (declaration: I was involved in development of this program). At other institutions (commonly those that use instructors on short term secondment from the field rather than career nest-featherers) the reaction has been much more postive. The course delivers real, practical, high-level training and would replace a significant proportion of the current grossly inefficient method. How long can change in ATC training be resisted? It won't be long before full ICAO modules, both theory and practical, are delivered by computer-based methods.

go-rownd
20th May 2009, 06:59
Well done Monroe: the attitude exactly!

Had a look at VV Approach, and whilst only the sample lessons, believe you're onto a good thing. Keep at it.

I won't be buying it.... My best vectors are lost in the failed neurons of 40 years in the job!!

The older I get, the better I was!!????

GR