PDA

View Full Version : UK - ATC at GA Airfield salary?

alphamatt
16th May 2009, 22:20
Hi,

Went to manchester Barton today and had a tour including the ATC tower and was realy impressed about the job. I know ATC in international airports (man/bhx/ema etc etc) get paid upto 49k i believe, but what would an atc at a GA airfield get paid roughly??

Matt

classicwings
16th May 2009, 23:22
Manchester Barton is FISO I believe, not ATC.

Talkdownman
16th May 2009, 23:49
FISO? Approx 1 point 5 minimum wage.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
17th May 2009, 06:45
alphamatt.. Controllers at some of the busiest ATC units are on very considerably more than 49k! I was earning much more than that when I retired 7 years ago and they've had some collosal pay rises since then.

At airfields like Barton you'll find fairly lowly paid staff, many of whom are retired controllers on pensions who are doing it for fun to help the local flying community.

Squadgy
17th May 2009, 10:18
Hi

I'm one of the FISOs at Barton and was probably in the tower when you came around yesterday.

TDM is pretty close re his estimation of salary, it's slightly more than that I think. For me it's a part time job which I do because I enjoy it - and because it helps fund my flying habit(!). everyone else is Full Time. I have a career in the week which pays the mortgage etc etc.

HD - We don't have any ex-ATCOs at Barton currently, although I believe this pretty common elsewhere.

:ok:

alphamatt
17th May 2009, 10:50
Hi Squadgy,

Well there was a chap and a young girl so which one are you?

Also, is there any part time/full time jobs going at the airfield?

Matt

Talkdownman
17th May 2009, 11:07
It wasn't an estimate. It was an approximation of what some of us FISOs are on down here. I can't be specific because parity doesn't exist. How full-time FISOs survive without a supplementary income beats me. We have 4 ex-ATCOs.

Squadgy
17th May 2009, 11:52
alphamatt - I'm the bloke.

Any jobs at Barton are advertised on this page:

City Airport Manchester - North West Aviation | General Information (http://www.cityairportmanchester.com/generalinfo/index.asp?id=10)

as and when they become available. There isn't anything at present though.

If you are interested in becoming a FISO though, there is nothing to stop you from self studying for and taking the written exams for the FISO licence - that would probably stand you in pretty good stead if any jobs became available at any FISO airfield in future. Details of how to gain a FISO licence are on the CAA website here:

Flight Information Service Officer (FISO) Licensing | Air Traffic Standards | Safety Regulation (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=43&pagetype=90&pageid=4748)

middles
17th May 2009, 16:00
Busy GA airfield by the M40---about £31ish aerodrome rating only.