PDA

View Full Version : Stalling speed of A319

gc2750
16th May 2009, 17:54
I was transiting the Luton Control Zone today on a nav trip and saw an A319 coming in on short final. I asked my instructor what the stalling speed was on such an aircraft with full flaps in a landing configuration and he seemed to think it was around 80 knots. Is this true, given that the TB10 I was flying stalls at 51 with full flap. If not what is the Vs just out of interest. I have been unable to find the info on the web.

Akrapovic
16th May 2009, 18:59
Not quite 80 kts!
Depending on aircraft weight - I've normally seen stall speed around the 100-110 mark.

gc2750
16th May 2009, 19:08
Thanks for that. I'll let him know next time I see him.

NigelOnDraft
16th May 2009, 19:11
A320 is ~80K, Full Flap @ 40T rising to ~123K at 80T.

A319 would be v similar...

A320 basic weight is, say, 50T... 100 people another ~10T, 5T of fuel for a 1hr sector... MTOW typically 73.5T... A319 Basic Wt a bit less (2T?)

NoD

PS Of course, being French it does not "stall" normally... it has various clever devices that when working stop it doing so :=

Dani
16th May 2009, 19:44
While it is very hard to stall an Airbus, flight test department did indeed those test. There are stall tables in their books. They also have some very advanced wind tunels trials and software routines to confirm that.

I remember that for an empty A319, 80kts is very well possible.

watchyourairspeed
17th May 2009, 12:45
G'day gc 2750,

The previous posts have missed the target. :ugh:

According to Airbus F-COM 3.04.10

VS or Stalling speed, it is not displayed. Moreover, for a conventional A/c, the reference stall speed, VSmin is based on a load factor that is less than 1g. This gives a stall speed that is lower than than the stall speed at 1g.

All operating speeds are expressed as functions of this speed (for instance VREF = 1.3 VSmin). Because A/c of the A320 family have a low speed protection featute (alpha limit) that the flight crew can not override, the airworthiness authorities have reconsidered the definition of stall speed for these A/c.

All operating speeds must be referenced to a speed that can be demonstrated by flight test. The speed is designated as VS1g. Airworthiness authorities have agreed that a factor of .94 represents the relationship between VS1g for A/c of the A320 family and VSmin for conventional A/c types. As a result tha authorities allow A/c of the A320 family to use the following factors:
V2 = 1.2 * .94 VS1g = 1.13 VS1g
VREF = 1.3 * .94 VS1g = 1.23 VS1g

FCOM concludes by saying that the A319,320,321 hav exactly the same maneuver margin that a conventional A/c would have at its reference speeds.

Saying that it stalls at 80kts or between 108 and 110 is somehow inacurate. :=

My two cents about it.

Safe flying,
WYA

compressor stall
17th May 2009, 13:00
Notwithstanding the above, Vs1g figures from the 319 fcom show:

At sea level:

mtoW, flap 1 and slats for takeoff - around 125kts
mlw, full fla ~ 108kts
empty min fuel lw ~<90ts.

Mad (Flt) Scientist
17th May 2009, 15:17
G'day gc 2750,

The previous posts have missed the target. :ugh:

According to Airbus F-COM 3.04.10

VS or Stalling speed, it is not displayed. Moreover, for a conventional A/c, the reference stall speed, VSmin is based on a load factor that is less than 1g. This gives a stall speed that is lower than than the stall speed at 1g.

All operating speeds are expressed as functions of this speed (for instance VREF = 1.3 VSmin). Because A/c of the A320 family have a low speed protection featute (alpha limit) that the flight crew can not override, the airworthiness authorities have reconsidered the definition of stall speed for these A/c.

All operating speeds must be referenced to a speed that can be demonstrated by flight test. The speed is designated as VS1g. Airworthiness authorities have agreed that a factor of .94 represents the relationship between VS1g for A/c of the A320 family and VSmin for conventional A/c types. As a result tha authorities allow A/c of the A320 family to use the following factors:
V2 = 1.2 * .94 VS1g = 1.13 VS1g
VREF = 1.3 * .94 VS1g = 1.23 VS1g

FCOM concludes by saying that the A319,320,321 hav exactly the same maneuver margin that a conventional A/c would have at its reference speeds.

Saying that it stalls at 80kts or between 108 and 110 is somehow inacurate. :=

My two cents about it.

Safe flying,
WYA

Actually, Vs1g isn't a unique concept for A320-family, nor the various factors associated with it. It's the *new* way of considering stall speeds, and was applied optionally for about a decade or more, before becoming (recently) enshrined as the standard approach - any new (non grandfathered) Part 25 a/c will be "vs1g" aircraft.

And in any case, whether you use Vs1g or Vsmin as the way to define the stall speed, you still have to stall the a/c to know what they are. So the A320 family still has a stall speed, and it's perfectly valid to discuss it as a stall speed. Only when you get into the fine details of scheduling operational speeds is anyone going to care if it's a Vsmin or Vs1g speed.

Oh, and whatever Airbus might claim, Vs1g/Vsmin difference have nothing to do with "conventional vs FBW" or whatever it is they are alluding to. It's simply a different way of certifying the same aircraft. (ONly thing is, I bet Airbus couldn't have got decent numbers the Vsmin route ...)