PDA

View Full Version : Legacy 600 Windshield Wipers

Half-Pint
16th May 2009, 14:56
Hello All

I read recently in a well known BizAv magazine that the new Embraer Legacy 600 does not have windshield wipers...

Out of pure interest, what does this aircraft use for rain protection, where other aircraft would use wipers?

Thank you

HP

Mad (Flt) Scientist
16th May 2009, 15:05
It'll be using some kind of "rain repellent" coating I expect.

Wipers are required by Part 121 type ops, but not for business aircraft. So, bye-bye wipers. They've been removed from Challenger 850s (=CRJ with business layout) as well.

As to why .... well, they add weight and complexity and I guess don't look as pretty to the people paying for the shiny new aircraft. I'm told wipers are a lot better if you want to see out the windows at taxi speeds, though ....

Half-Pint
16th May 2009, 16:36
Hmm, yes yes...

With some further investigation:

Bleed air anti-ice is provided to leading edges, nacelle inlets and windshields...

Similar to some Learjets?

I also read that the 600 has a higher Mmo aswell- M.80 (as opposed to the M.78 of the other ERJ's), does the absence of the wipers has anything to do with this?

I'd be interested aswell as to the noise level on the flight deck with the absence of the wipers. The ERJ135 has a noisy flight deck; some people have attirubuted some of this noise to the wipers...

Can any 600 pilot help us out and comment?

Thanks again

HP

rightbank
16th May 2009, 18:06
Have only flown the legacy, not the 135/145, but have flown with people who have flown both and apparently the legacy is much quieter. The lack of wipers is, in their opinion, put down as a major factor.

I suspect that the higher Mmo is more down to the winglets and blended fuselage (extra fuel tanks in the fuselage) than the lack of wipers.

hawk37
16th May 2009, 19:39
Business and Commercial Aviation May 2009 Purchase Planning Handbook lists the Legacy 600 (EMB 135BJ) as having MMO of .800

Never heard of winglets nor "blended fuselage" allowing an increased mmo.

Any 135 pilots have their mmo?

Some learjets have neither bleed air for rain repellant, nor wipers.

Half-Pint
16th May 2009, 20:13
The ERJ 135 has an Mmo of M0.78...

I reckon the aeroplane could also achieve .80 quite easily (we have to reduce the cruise N1 by a few percent away from Max Cruise N1), save for the big red line at .78.

Great machine... :)