PDA

View Full Version : Islay and the Scottish Islands - Out of Hours

LondonJ
15th May 2009, 09:05
Hi all,

I'm hoping to do a few weekend trips to the Scottish Islands, starting with Islay and have noted the v. restrictive opening hours, especially on the weekend.

I've found an out of hours indemnity form online that one can fill in, but still at little unclear on how it works.

Pilot Information (http://www.hial.co.uk/pilot-and-airline-info.html)

Has anyone used this before? Is it valid for an individual flight or a year or so? Are there additional fees and charges in addition to the landing fee?

Many thanks!

dublinpilot
15th May 2009, 09:54
I used it a few years ago.

They will (or at least about 3 years ago) give you a single out of hours take off OR landing without much formality.

If you want more than one, then you need to fill up the form, and fax off with your insurance details. There was a charge of appx £25 then, and it covered you for out of hours landings up to the next renewal date of your insurance policy.

You obviously still have to pay the landing fees.

Also you still need to get PPR for each airport. If you don't, you might find yourself trapped inside the airport complex with no way out. In my case,they left a gate open for me, when they knew I was coming.

dp

LondonJ
15th May 2009, 12:21
Great, thanks DP!

dublinpilot
15th May 2009, 12:31
When I said

They will (or at least about 3 years ago) give you a single out of hours take off OR landing without much formality.

I should have said "They will (or at least about 3 years ago) give you a single out of hours take off OR landing per year without much formality."

Just one a year....not one per airport, nor one per trip....just one per year.

They did process it for me inside a day, so no delays involved.

dp

140KIAS
15th May 2009, 12:50
I renewed our recently. Needed to do it quickly so spoke to the lady at Inverness who deals with it (I think her name is Rosemary). She was happy for me to scan and email the form. I got an email copy by return. All very efficient.

Its worth mentioning that it doesnt cover all HIAL airports. Campbletown and Barra are excluded and possibly a couple others too.

Also its only relevant for HIAL airports so doesnt cover Oban, Coll, Collonsay, Plockton, Broadford etc. Out of these only Oban is a problem out of hours.

suraci
16th May 2009, 01:48
Cost is £30.24 inc VAT as of 1 May. Covers HIAL airports (their terminology) except Barra, Campbeltown, and Sumburgh

helicopter-redeye
16th May 2009, 07:14
If you are planning flights in the Islands it is worth keeping this £30 permit up to date 'just in case'.

The crew at islay last year told me that they usually permit OOH operations without it if permission is granted in advance, but this situation could change at a moments notice of course.

As a lot of the HIAL airports have strange opening hours matched to commercial flights, it can be a neccesity for normal operations at many fields (Tiree, for instance, closed quite early).

Campbeltown is excluded as it is a military field really. Barra because it's a beach (no, really...)

Enjoy.:ok: