PDA

View Full Version : Pitts down at White Waltham this afternoon

r44heli
14th May 2009, 19:46
A yellow and blue Pitts Special hit the ground at the bottom of a loop at
White Waltham this afternoon. Air Ambulance airlifted pilot out. Any news
on his condition welcomed. The aircraft came to a rest in one piece although
minus undercarriage and engine mounts broken.

My thoughts with the pilot and his family.

wsmempson
14th May 2009, 23:06
Oh cripes!

I don't know what the cloudbase was there, but today in central London it didn't look too promising....

stiknruda
15th May 2009, 08:01
Please, please don't speculate!

The pilot (RH) is well known and well liked within the competition/display community. He is one of my friends!

Cloudbase and manueover speculations don't really help - we all have our own safety gates and as display pilots need to have various show routines available in case of less than perfect wx.

Thank you,

Stik

Rod1
15th May 2009, 08:10
Is he OK?

Rod1

Sir George Cayley
15th May 2009, 19:10
In wishing him well and a speedy recovery please mention to him that he's in good company.

One N Williams was left sitting on the seat of an aerobatic biplane that made premature contact many years ago.

Let's all hope for a good outcome to this incident.

Sir George Cayley

Fly-by-Wife
15th May 2009, 19:28
My wishes also to the pilot for a speedy recovery.

Sir George Cayley - was that the occasion that NW had the wing collapse in flight?

FBW

treadigraph
15th May 2009, 21:16
FBW, no, the occasion NW demolished a Stampe at Biggin Hill.

Stik, any news on how the Pitts pilot is doing? Fingers crossed...

Vino Collapso
15th May 2009, 21:23
Ah yes the Biggin Stampe.

Where the commentator said....."and Neil Willams has taken the Stampe behind the hangar.......and left it there". Classic!

Best wishes to the Pitts pilot whoever they may be. Not the first and will not be the last.

Lightning6
15th May 2009, 22:28
I will always remember Don Bullock when he crashed the Invader at Biggin, the commentator said, words to the effect, "well (pause)...We can all see what happened there (pause)...The next display will be...." .

I hope this chap is OK.

BRL
15th May 2009, 23:00
I was told today that the pilot had hurt his back. Not broken it or anything like that but he was/is in hospital.

I am sure you will join me in wishing him well and a speedy recovery. :)

Lightning6
15th May 2009, 23:22
Indeed, best wishes to him.

Vans Pilot
16th May 2009, 20:22
Fingers crossed for RH's operation tomorrow. Really glad the people that usually jump on these threads ready to throw blame and speculate, have not done so. RH is a great guy and a very good pair of hands, I wish him well, and my thoughts are with him and his family