PDA

View Full Version : E-jets

Marlboro_2002
14th May 2009, 18:06
How good are the e-jets on a pilots point of view?
Any imputs?

cheers,

fmcinop
15th May 2009, 02:02
give me a 737 any day. The E-jet FMS is utter rubbish, altitude and time preditions are woeful to say the least. Overhead panel automation is very good.

The autothrottle is terrible, the 170 is a dog (very rarely get above Fl350)

The 190 is not too bad to fly but I hate the 170. The screens are small and cluttered (unlike the nice dispalys in the 737/777), the FMS still has so many bugs in it, far to many to list.

Some really good systems, pitch compensation for thrust/gear/spead brake/flap etc. 3 deg descent makes track shortening a breeze, speed brakes that actually work inflight., carbon brakes....mmmm carbon brakes.

Heading up display ...why?

Even though the 737 ng was out of date before it was even built, the over head panel is a disgrace and it does not fly anywhere near a nice as the classic, I still this it to be far better than the E-jet.

So many electrical issues. Power down reset a very common thing. It takes a lot more time to set up or turn around than the 737.

having said that 90% of the guys who fly it, love it.

Marlboro_2002
15th May 2009, 09:11
thanks...

but most people tend on complaining on the 170, but never comment the 190.

cheers,

flybe?

Chesty Morgan
15th May 2009, 09:29
Wonderful. Head up display? For lower than standard minima and manual CAT 3. Meaning we will shortly be able to use CAT 2 minima whilst using a CAT 1 installation.

Easy and satisfying to hand fly (And I used to think the 146 was nice to hand fly). Easy to operate through the automatics although the bloke who designed the MCP needs shooting.

Good performance, especially off shorter runways.

Over head panel is mostly automatic but is still well laid out. Autothrottle is good but can be a bit slow, you can easily override it without it disconnecting.

EFIS is great - any information you want you can have. The FMS is easy to use and does everything you want it too.

More than 99% dispatch rate at my airline.

Would I change? Nope.

Marlboro_2002
15th May 2009, 09:47
just curious, is it able to be certified for ETOPS?

It must be in the manual, maybe limitations....or at least on the FAA approval document...

Chesty Morgan
15th May 2009, 09:52
Yes it can.

FE Hoppy
15th May 2009, 22:54
ETOPS - yes
HUD 3A - yes
Autoland - yes
Steep approach - yes

Marlboro_2002
17th May 2009, 13:28
Curious about the ETOPS.

Certified both FAA and JAA?

And for 120 or 180 minutes? What about speeds for the ETOPS profile?

regrads,