PDA

View Full Version : SEP renewal

CloudBoy
11th May 2009, 13:10
Hi

My SEP (PPL) will expire in July and I will not have achieved 12hours in the last 12 months, but have flown 30-40hrs in the 12months prior. What do I do to renew it?

Some people say it doesn't matter - I can send it to the CAA for renewal - some say I need to do another skills test??

Please help clear it up for me :)

Thanks

mcgoo
11th May 2009, 13:21
Revalidation by Proficiency Check
A SEP (Land) and/or TMG rating may be revalidated

by passing a
Proficiency Check (LPC) with a JAR
authorised Flight Examiner (FE(A)) or Class Rating
Examiner (CRE(A)). If completed within the three months
preceding the expiry date of the rating(s), no loss of rating
validity will be incurred - the new rating expiry date will be
calculated from the preceding rating expiry date, not from
the date of the Proficiency Check,
or,
Revalidation by flying experience
A SEP (Land) and/or TMG class rating can be revalidated
by flying experience by producing logbook evidence to
an appropriately authorised JAR-FCL Examiner, before
the rating expiry date has passed, of the following flying
experience completed within the 12 months preceding the
rating expiry date.

12 hours

of flight time in SEP or TMG aircraft as
appropriate to include;
i.

6 hours as pilot-in-command;
ii.

12 take-offs and landings;
iii. a training flight of at least

1 hour’s duration with
a FI(A) or CRI(A)* who must countersign the
appropriate logbook entry (see full details below).
*The instructor must be authorised in accordance with
JAR-FCL to instruct for the JAR-FCL TMG or SEP(Land)
rating as appropriate. UK QSP only may undertake the
instructional flight with a UK Military instructor. This
training flight may be replaced by any other aeroplane
proficiency check or skill test for an instrument, class or
type rating (as defined by JAR-FCL) with a JAA qualified
Examiner, or by a flight test for the issue/revalidation or
renewal of a UK IMC rating.
• If revalidating by flying experience, and providing
the examiner signs the Certificate of Revalidation
page within the 3 months prior to the rating expiry,
the validity of the revalidated rating will be calculated
from the date of expiry of the preceding rating.
• If the licence contains both SEP (Land) and TMG
ratings, the revalidation by proficiency check
requirements above may be completed in either
class or in the case of revalidation by experience in
either class or a mixture of the classes, and achieve
revalidation of both ratings.
Note:

A SEP (Land) class rating cannot be revalidated
or renewed by passing the Skill Test for the initial
issue or renewal of a TMG rating and vice versa.

From section F of LASORS

Brooklands
11th May 2009, 13:24
Cloudboy,

Either get the twelve hours in before it expires (including one with an instructor), or you'll have to do a LPC (I think thats the correct set of letters) with an examiner. Its not quite the full skills test, but I'm not exactly sure what it enatails as I've never had to do one. Somebody like BEagle or Bose-X will be along to tell you.

The time you've flown inthe first twelve months of the two year period doesn't count for anyting.

You can't just send in the form to the CAA.

Brooklands

CloudBoy
11th May 2009, 13:30
Thank you very much for your help :ok:

julian_storey
11th May 2009, 17:31
'Brooklands' is pretty much exactly right.

Prior to expiry of your SEP (land) class rating, you can REVALIDATE on the basis of experience (12 hours inc. one with an instructor etc) or on the basis of a flight with an examiner.

If you let the rating expire, then you need a RENEWAL which can only be done by flying with an examiner.

Brooklands
12th May 2009, 12:33
'Brooklands' is pretty much exactly right.

Yes, but he forgot to mention one VERY important thing - you MUST get your ratings page signed by an examiner before the rating expires, thats what keeps it current, not the form to the CAA (although you do have to send it) it doesn't have to go in before the rating expires.

Brooklands

oscarmike
12th May 2009, 13:14
Did my LPC yesterday, as my PPL (A) expired at the end of April and as our a/c went tech I wasn't able to do the 'by experience' renewal. :mad:

However, the LPC is not that big a deal, a short 'a' to 'b' nav test (about 20nm) stalls in clean and landing configurations, steep turns, PFL, simulated EFAT and then a few circuits.

Whole thing took just under one hour.

The guy I took it with was a retired commercial pilot with just under 73,000 hours, and told me to look upon it as a traning exercise rather than a test.

He did actually pick up on a couple of minor bad habits I have picked up over the last two years....... :hmm:

mcgoo
12th May 2009, 13:30
73,000 hours, must be a record! :hmm:

Whopity
12th May 2009, 14:38
At a maximum of 900 per year he must be at least 99 years old! Another record.

Mickey Kaye
12th May 2009, 16:03
When I was out in the states in the late 80's early 90s the FIs at the school I was hour building at where all logging in excess of 1500 hours per year. However I wouldn't have though they could keep it up for many years still an impressive number however.

flybymike
12th May 2009, 23:20
73000 hours...BS

CloudBoy
13th May 2009, 05:43
Well having not flown for that period I went and did a standard check-out ride with an instructor for an hour to get current at my flying club.

Now Im current again on their books they tell me to book an LPC for SEP revalidation.

But Im thinking that surely that check-out would suffice as an LPC? If I was to take my logbook to the CFI (an examiner) and ask him to sign it off?

I don't see the point of doing it twice?? Are they fleecing me for cash? :ugh:

Ollie

cjhants
13th May 2009, 05:57
the LPC has to be done with an examiner rather than instructor AFAIK.

see post#2

S-Works
13th May 2009, 07:26
I don't see the point of doing it twice?? Are they fleecing me for cash?

Possibly. But were you current enough to pass an LPC?

D SQDRN 97th IOTC
13th May 2009, 07:54
basic difference between proficiency check and skills test is the nav

do the proficiency check before the rating expires

BEagle
13th May 2009, 08:58
But Im thinking that surely that check-out would suffice as an LPC? If I was to take my logbook to the CFI (an examiner) and ask him to sign it off?

No, that won't be legal. Did you tell the Club that you needed a Revalidation LPC? If not, then it was hardly any fault of theirs.

basic difference between proficiency check and skills test is the nav

No, there is no difference in the requirements. Both the Revalidation LPC and the Renewal LST include a requirement for pilot navigation (although this can be replaced by an IMCR revalidation/renewal as part of the exercise). The extent of the navigation requirement is at the Examiner's discretion; he/she should take into account your pilot navigation recency when giving you the brief and setting you the task.

oscarmike
14th May 2009, 09:00
73,000 hours, must be a record!

At a maximum of 900 per year he must be at least 99 years old! Another record.

73000 hours...BS

Don't you just love this forum!

Just reminds me why I don't post very often - you try to pass on a bit of useful information and then get shot down. :mad:

Why would the guy lie to me? He told me he flew for BA for 32 years, then went on to become a training officer on 747's plus GA flying as well.

Well, whatever anyone says on here, he was obviously a highly competent and well respected pilot, which is good enough for me. :*

julian_storey
14th May 2009, 09:22
Well, whatever anyone says on here, he was obviously a highly competent and well respected pilot, which is good enough for me.

It is likely that you misheard him.

I work with a guy with a similar background to your friend and he has 22,000 hours. Someone who has had a busy airline career could well have 30,000+ hours.

acoulson
7th Jul 2009, 12:55
Hi, I've just been charged £20 by the examiner to sign my certificate and the SRG 1119 form. This is the first time I've been so charged since the first entry on the page in 2001 - have I just been lucky so far ?
Cheers,
Andy

S-Works
7th Jul 2009, 13:02
Nope, you have been turned over. CAA guidance is quite clear that no charge should be made for signing the SRG1119 and the revalidation page on the licence when revalidating by experience. Ask for you money back.

BEagle
7th Jul 2009, 15:40
I agree with bose-x.

You have been ripped off. £20 for a few minutes with a pen is totally unreasonable.

Name and shame the club involved!!

acoulson
7th Jul 2009, 19:33
Thanks for the support chaps, one never knows these days.
Andy

Dr Esteban
8th Aug 2009, 10:56
Does anyone know whether it is possible to drop by the CAA to get the
SEP rating sorted same day (in case of SEP renewal ie expiry >5yrs)?
I seem to remember doing that with my Airbus rating...

If not, how long would it take by mail on average?

Cheers
Esteban

tmmorris
8th Aug 2009, 11:06
Just picked up on this thread...

When I had my SEP revalidation signed off recently, the examiner was anxious I should send off the SRG1119 immediately. He said there had been a problem with examiners signing things retrospectively so it looked as though the revalidation was done in time when in fact it was late, so the CAA were suspicious if the form arrived a long time after the supposed date of revalidation.

On the question of charging for revalidation signature, it looks from this:

Flying Training Prices | Ultimate High (http://www.ultimatehigh.co.uk/flying_training_prices.html)

as though Ultimate High make such a charge. I sincerely hope not...

Tim

S-Works
8th Aug 2009, 12:55
I send all my srg1119 forms to the CAA as a batch once a month. The CAA do nothing with them.

If the CAA do not trust an examiner to follow the rules then they should pill his or het authority.

The system works on trust. Requiring examiners to operate to the laid down standards. If there is a problem then it comes out as a notex from the CFE. I have not seen anything that indicates the CAA believe there is a problem. Si your examiner was probably being paranoid.