PDA

View Full Version : My first qualified flight

Rishy
11th May 2009, 13:01
Not looking for any advice here, just thought I would share my recent experience.

My licence arrived finally a couple of weeks ago and after a couple of cancelled bookings I finally managed to carry out my first qualified flight last night. It was absolutely amazing.

I fly from Newcastle International and learnt with Northumbria Flying School. I deliberated about whether or not to fly alone for my first time out and finally decided to take a mate along. He's half way through his PPL and it thought it would be great to share the experience with a fellow enthusiast.

After Saturday's weather I figured it might not go ahead but the skies cleared and the wind dropped throughout the course of Sunday afternoon. My 18.30 was on.

Because I've not flown for the last 28 days I needed a quick dual check. My mate was in the back and I was in an unfamiliar aircraft (same type, of course) so I was definitely a little nervous. An almost textbook circuit (didn't get 80kts in the climb) ended with an embarrassing (little) balloon having not taken off the power fully. Never mind. So, out got the instructor and off we went.

Those people that know Northumberland will appreciate what an excellent training area it is. As opposed to just bimbling about I'd planned a route to take us around an area I was familiar and confident with. That was stuck to for the first half of the flight or so, then we mixed it up, flying up to Holy Island, Bamburgh, Alnwick and Warkworth castles, then Druridge Bay before back into the zone via Morpeth. Without a breath of wind and pretty much CAVOK we had the skies to ourselves. It was absolutely amazing.

Bring on next Sunday.

Tim :)

L'aviateur
11th May 2009, 13:36
Well done, you worked hard for it Rishy. Congratulations!

I agree that Northumbria Flying School are great, I finished off my PPL with them and they helped me in everyway to complete it. NFS is run by some real enthusiasts.

Rishy
11th May 2009, 21:33
Cheers Rick,

Hopefully we'll be able to go up when you're next at home.

Tim