PDA

View Full Version : McMurdo FastFind 210 PLB

Heliplane
10th May 2009, 17:40
Greetings all - I'm about to take the plunge and buy a PLB and the McMurdo FastFind 210 PLB appears to win on size and price (there are others out there that are more expensive but appear to do basically the same thing).

Does anyone have any experience with this model - positive or negative?

Whilst it appears that this device will comply with the letter of the law (eg for flying in France), I'd like to ensure that it will do the job in the unfortunate event I might ever have to use it....

There is an old thread on PPrune (2004 I think) suggesting that these didn't work particularly well but perhaps things have moved on since then.

Any thoughts gratefully appreciated.

Thanks.

Fujiflyer
10th May 2009, 17:58
I've carried one for the last several years. I bought it initially because I do quite a lot of walking and cycling in remote areas (eg, Pyrenees), I bought the non-GPS version at the time to save money, on the basis that the GPS addition would add marginal benefit, it seemed a lot of money to spend at the time. However, for flying where a fast fix could be critical (ie if you've ditched), I would think that the GPS version is a must.

Islander2
10th May 2009, 18:48
Whilst it appears that this device will comply with the letter of the law (eg for flying in France)You may like to bear in mind that, in those countries where law has been enacted to reflect the ICAO recommendation for carriage of ELT equipment, it is only in France (AFAIK) that a GPS-enabled PLB satisfies the letter of the law.

cambioso
10th May 2009, 21:14
Has anyone actually been "Ramp Checked" by the "PLB Police" in France yet?
Jez

Fright Level
10th May 2009, 23:00
Do bear in mind that the 210 has the words "Will not float" written on the base so make sure it's hanging round your neck or in your buoyant grab bag if you plan to carry it over water.

Heliplane
11th May 2009, 13:29
Do bear in mind that the 210 has the words "Will not float" written on the base so make sure it's hanging round your neck or in your buoyant grab bag if you plan to carry it over water.

Excellent point - hopefully at least I'd float though!!

Droopystop
11th May 2009, 18:33
If it don't float, then you are going to have to hold it up for it to work. Fine if you are in a liferaft, not so good if you are swiming, trying to keep you head out of the water (even with a lifejacket on).

Fright Level
11th May 2009, 19:29
If it don't float, then you are going to have to hold it up for it to work

Same for the buoyant models too. They may not sink but they won't work bobbing around in the sea as I doubt the antenna will be positioned correctly for it to do it's job without holding it up or having it above the water level in a raft.

neilcharlton
11th May 2009, 19:39
its a lot cheaper if you buy one from a boat shop than a pilot shop as well !
they do exactly the same thing..

spudtwo0
23rd May 2009, 10:08
Try Steve Walker @ JK Max, that guy fully understands all there is to know and is genuine and a good price. I teach sea survival and to me it is a great piece of kit. There is one in our group aircraft and I am getting one for trips abroad (GPS model)

IO540
23rd May 2009, 10:51
Most if not all 406MHz beacons need to be floating on water to work properly, with the water providing a ground plane, supposedly.

A non-floating device would be as useful as a chocolate teapot and I would not use it.

hhobbit
31st May 2009, 17:03
McMurdo (http://www.mcmurdo.co.uk/products/product.html?product_type=2&product_sector=4&product=99)
is specced buoyant

IO540
31st May 2009, 18:55
That's the one I've got.

I can kind of believe it will float. The question I would ask is whether it will float with the aerial sticking upright out of the water.

This seems a nice unit. I think I paid about £300 for mine, 1-2 years ago.

hhobbit
2nd Jun 2009, 19:26
but if the 210 does not float, and it is attached to one's person, why would you need a floating one?

RJC
2nd Jun 2009, 20:21
The Mcurdo website has a comparison document, you can get an add on for the 210 if it is to be used near water...

http://www.mcmurdo.co.uk/doc/GPS%20PLB%20Comparison.pdf
(at the bottom)

It reads that the buoyancy is there to ensure you can retrieve it if dropped in water, nothing about self righting and operation whilst in water.

Reading the manual from the website, it states...

Using the PLB afloat
The PLB is totally waterproof but is not designed to operate when floating on the surface of the water. It is buoyant and will not sink if dropped into water, if possible keep it out of the water when in use, place it high up on your PFD, lifejacket. or chest and clear of any wave wash. Any trapped water should be removed periodically by shaking the PLB.

So I guess the biggest technical difference between the 210 and the MaxFind is 24 vs 48 hour operation and user replaceable battery ?