PDA

View Full Version : Pondering oceanic weather reporting....

hawk37
10th May 2009, 10:24
Just wondering how many non ACARS equipped aircraft still give weather on HF (wind/temperatures) at reporting point and mid point over the Atlantic?

Haven't heard much, seems maybe most pilots conveniently forget to do them. Do others find this?

Do the weather guessers still use these verbal reports, or is it all done automatically now via the digital recordings that ACARS capable aircraft send?

BOAC
10th May 2009, 11:01
Most of us are soundly asleep by then:). There must be enough data-linked stuff now-a-days, surely?

Flapskew
10th May 2009, 11:24
Non ACARS using HF voice, I thought met reports were not required on NAT Tracks unless asked for i.e. "send met reports" and were required when random tracking, unless "omit met reports"?

hawk37
10th May 2009, 17:18
Yes Flapskew, I believe you're right. Not all of us are regular track users, hence my inquiry.

SNS3Guppy
10th May 2009, 17:56
On a track, reports aren't required unless you've been selected to provide them.

Off track you provide them by HF voice with each position report, and provide weather for each reporting point, and midpoint between reporting points. That is, you provide your spot weather (over the reporting point), and mid weather (between current reporting point and last reporting point) as well.

Jumbo Driver
10th May 2009, 19:46
It is maybe worth mentioning that the information you pass (when requested to "Send Met Reports" or when you are routing off the NAT Track structure) is not necessarily just spot-wind and temperature.

You would also report any SIGMET (i.e. turbulence, icing or Cb) if it was experienced at either the reporting point or mid-point.

JD
:)

P.S. Incidentally, I do like the appropriate title wording - Pondering oceanic ...

Green Cactus
11th May 2009, 02:53
Hawk,

I think everybody conveniently "forgets", or isn't aware.....

I've followed several MNPS courses (different providers) and as far as I can recall it wasn't mentioned in any of them.

GC

411A
11th May 2009, 03:28
Hmmm, enroute weather.
Jets many times above it all, not always of course, but many times.

Large 4-engine propellor driven airplanes...in it almost always.:}

Yes, been there, done that, etc.:\

Fun days...:rolleyes:

Fly3
12th May 2009, 05:13
For my Airbus FANS equiped aircraft, the last page of the position report contains the weather info. So each time the ATC get, or ask for, a position report they get the met as well which may explain why you are not hearing them transmitted on the airwaves so much these days.

casablanca
12th May 2009, 13:32
Having done many random routes I still try to do them if the frequency is not too busy...Sometimes there are so many people backed up I cant justify spending another minute on the radio....

Willit Run
12th May 2009, 14:06
Giving the required weather just helps us all. Makes the data that much more accurate

hawk37
13th May 2009, 18:49
Well thanks all for the responses. One of these days, when the weather forecasting gets even more automated, I'm thinking we'll be told not to bother with verbal weather reports. The prediction programs may only take automated inputs maybe, and no one will bother with the HF voice reports. Have to see...

So for now then, I'll make the reports.

PantLoad
13th May 2009, 22:46
SNS3Guppy is correct, as per the written procedure. However, in practice, many are lax in doing so. Not good.....

Fly safe,

PantLoad

SNS3Guppy
14th May 2009, 02:21
I make all the reports. It's a simple process as part of each position report.