PDA

View Full Version : Need advice regarding PPL

baz76
8th May 2009, 14:09
I want to do my PPL as soon as possible but its hard to get time off work. Please suggest how I should go about it keeping in mind that I dont have 6-7 grand with me at the moment . can only do pay as you go. Others in a similar situation please advise

Rodent1982
8th May 2009, 14:21
You don't have to get time off work to learn to fly. Will just take an awful long time to do. I've been doing mine since this time last year and I'm 23hrs in. Personally, I prefer the fact that it's taken me this long, I get to fly most weekends sat & sun (I paid up front tho), once I have my license it'll go to perhaps once or twice a month.

I'd recommend you look for a proper flight school rather than a club, as they tend to have better availability of aircraft, and instructors. Last thing you want is to be denied a lesson during the weekend because someone else booked theirs 10 months in advance :bored: That said however, the club environment is much friendlier, if that's your thing, just make sure you keep your diary well stocked with booked lessons.

rich_g85
8th May 2009, 14:30
Assuming you work in the week, just fly at the weekend..

baz76
8th May 2009, 14:33
I am one of those unlucky guys who have to work on weekends and told to be available at the 11th hour.

thinking of doing lessons early morning before going to work.

bobstay
8th May 2009, 14:43
I came to an arrangement with my workplace where I can take 1/8th of a day of holiday twice a week (shaving a little off the end of my working day), which gives me time to get to the airfield for my lesson after work. This is working out well for me - I can fly twice a week on weekday afternoons when the airfield isn't as crowded, and I still have my weekends free for other activities. My workplace are happy because my working day is hardly affected (and I end up taking fewer "real" holidays).

Is your workplace likely to be receptive to a proposal like this?

cockney steve
9th May 2009, 14:06
Bobstay's suggestion is very sensible.
As to your working weekends, well, that's a huge advantage :)

Look, most working people work Mon-Fri, so obviously, that's when there's the most demand on aircraft and instructors.

During the week, you should get better availability of both machine and instructor, also .from their point of view. expensive assets are earning revenue,as opposed to costing losses to sit idle.

If I were a school, I'd go out of my way to keep a weekday pupil happy.

I'm just looking at this from a commercial aspect, so may be missing the blindingly obvious......if so, I'm sure the flamethrowers will "re educate" :}

1800ed
10th May 2009, 17:54
If you can learn during the week then all the better. I've found that as my club is less busy during the week you get more time with the instructors if you go then, because they don't usually have to go to another lesson shortly after yours has finished. Meaning you get a bit more time in the briefing room, which can be really helpful!

Put1992
10th May 2009, 18:48
Definately go for the in-week option. You'll 'fly' through the syllabus in no time, and will get familiar to your club surroundings

All the best

rauxaman
10th May 2009, 19:54
Why do you want the ppl ?

bjornhall
10th May 2009, 20:00
I don't think you'll have any major problems. Loads of people, probably most, do their flying whenever their jobs and other commitments allow... I did my training weekends and weekday evenings, which worked out just fine. Assuming you're one of us lucky guys who get the PPL just to fly for fun, you will "have to" :) work your flying into your lifestyle once you have your PPL anyway, so might as well get used to it from the beginning!

During my training, it was striking how people with flexible and irregular working schedules had a much easier time finding free slots than those of us who could only fly evenings and weekends.

Flying in the early morning is great! Much better than in the evening after a long day at work, if given the choice.

AreWeNearlyThere
13th May 2009, 19:45
:DSounds like you work 7 days a week from what I read, surely this cant be true? Would have thought the working time directive allows you time of? Max 48hrs per week and all that?

See if you can get a copy of your work rota a few weeks in advance and then book the lessons around the days you know you are off work :ok:

Im a PAYG student who normally flies on weekends only but I always try to get evening slots while the lighter nights are around. The wind is minimal around these times (6-7.30pm-ish) and most of the commercial traffic is out the way so less time spent in the hold burning a new hole in the wallet :hmm:

At the end of the day, it's not a race so just make sure you spend your money well and learn as much as you can rather than whizz through the syllabus and then scratch your head when your PIC because you cant quite remember how to deal with a certain situation properly.

Just my tuppance of input. Good luck with which ever way you go and have fun! Flying should be fun not a chore