PDA

View Full Version : Diversion - Radio Calls?

worrab
8th May 2009, 10:11
This must be so obvious, but I can't find what radio calls to make when doing a diversion. If I'm travelling from A -> B and have to divert to C do I just call up C and declare myself inbound or...

And if I'm in receipt of Basic Service for a local flight when the weather closes in behind me do I simply troll off to an alternate or...

Crash one
8th May 2009, 10:31
I would suggest "G- xxx diverting to C due to weather" to whoever you are talking to. They will acknowledge, switch to C & "C approach/radio/information G-xxx request diversion to yourself due to weather/ I need a pee". They will acknowledge. No big deal.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
8th May 2009, 11:05
Just ensure that you never change frequency without "clearing" with the agency you are in contact with. Just saying that you are diverting is not enough - make sure they know you are leaving their frequency.

Crash one
8th May 2009, 11:23
Quite correct, I should have mentioned that.

worrab
12th May 2009, 11:02
Thanks for that. Radio confidence (as you may have gathered) isn't my strong point!

kevmusic
12th May 2009, 13:20
Worrab, what stage are you at; a ppl or a stude? I'm still a stude (latter stages) and still under-confident with R/T.

bjornhall
12th May 2009, 17:29
It depends of course, might not have to tell anyone anything...

If not on a flight plan, just head off to where you're now going, and simply call up "inbound" when you get close.

If already talking to anyone, tell them where you're now going and when you're leaving frequency as already mentioned...

If on a flightplan, even if you're for some reason not already talking to someone, need to call somebody up to revise your destination and ETA.

If in controlled airspace, need to request a new clearance to somewhere else, and that takes care of the flight plan revision as well (except maybe in the US? not sure!).

Mgggpilot
12th May 2009, 17:59
The way i have been taught to do it if am in controlled airspace is 'Approach/whoever, Diverting to C due to weather request climbing/descending to/maintaining FL/altitude xxx estimating C at time xxxx'. This call to me is a complete one since remember when diverting you must plan new altitude to clear new obstacles that you never take into account in your original planning. Remember also this is like planning from scratch for this leg, so you need time estimate as well. Thanx guys

worrab
12th May 2009, 18:03
"Worrab, what stage are you at; a ppl or a stude?"

Still trying to become a PPL. Went solo in a Katana some six years ago and had to stop due family commitments. Got back (in a PA28) 3 weeks ago and found myself miles behind the plane and frantically trying to catch up. Then last week, coming into land and looking out of the side window it finally began to click back together again. Happy days.