PDA

View Full Version : Flying the the Oxford AIAA, Brize Radar, Benson and Oxford question

PompeyPaul
7th May 2009, 12:57
I'm planning a trip to Northern Ireland. I think I've got my head around it but am still a little nervous about Brize & the Oxford AIAA.

I want to transition through Oxford AIAA, overhead Benson & Oxford. I don't have my charts with me so numbers and things may be innacurate but do I:

1. Call Brize Radar, give Benson & Oxford routing, request overhead Benson & Oxford as well as transition
2. Call Brize Radar, change to benson, then change to Oxford requesting overhead transition, changing back to Brize at each time
3. Call benson, then call Oxford, then call Brize
4. Just avoid those areas, over fly Brize itself, talk to Brize & ask for penetration and overhead transition
5. Just not bother with any of it, and fly all of the way around the area

englishal
7th May 2009, 13:07
AIAA's are nothing to worry about. I regularly fly in the yeovilton AIAA but rarely speak to them (not advising, just commenting), so don't feel you HAVE to talk to someone to transit an AIAA. Having said that I'd talk to whoever can give you the best service - I don't have a chart here but I'd be inclined to just talk to Brize.

belowradar
7th May 2009, 15:06
Also bear in mind that weather permitting you can fly over the top of Brize if necessary which can be useful if they don't issue a zone clearance. This can save a lot of re-routing and hassle.

TrafficPilot
7th May 2009, 17:19
PompeyPaul

Nothing really to worry about flying through the area. I fly around here nearly every day. If it was me I'd select option 3.

Never had a problem with Benson providing a service although I tend to skirt around their zone because of all the low level heli traffic.

If it's busy there could be quite a bit of IFR training flights overhead Oxford at various levels so worth giving them a call for a basic service then request a MATZ penetration from Brize. Brize are ok unless they have lots of VC10/Globemasters in the area in which case they may tell you to remain clear.

Hope you have a super flight.

TrafficPilot

BEagle
7th May 2009, 18:19
Brize does NOT have a MATZ - it's a Class D CTR!

bookworm
7th May 2009, 18:56
I want to transition through Oxford AIAA, overhead Benson & Oxford... do I:

Doesn't it depend very much on the level you're flying at?

PompeyPaul
7th May 2009, 21:22
2,500ft AAL. Thanks for all of the replies so far.

englishal
7th May 2009, 21:38
No chart to hand here but....

If you can go higher, go as high as you can - above Oxford ATZ and any MATZs and then get a traffic service and / or zone transit from Brize and just talk to them - I always ask for a TS first then if can't get it, accept basic. Maybe have a look for instrument approach fixes into Oxford and avoid them (they don't have radar right?). If you can't go higher then I'd call ATC on your route of flight. Brize are very accomodating and I reckon it is better to talk to someone with a radar than someone without - especially as Brize control the AIAA so can warn you of any C17's in your vicinity.

Chequeredflag
8th May 2009, 18:47
A couple of weeks ago I flew from Coventry to Bembridge (IOW). I called Brize from just North of Banbury at 3500'. They obliged with a traffic service, and when I requested freq change to Oxford for transit clearance through the Kidlington overhead, I was told to standby. One minute later, the guy at Brize came back having negotiated the transit for me, presumably by phone. They held on to me until CPT when I was handed over to Farnborough.

The same service was given on the return journey - they were very helpful

FlapsFive
8th May 2009, 19:16
I did Wycombe to Gloucester a couple of months back - Contacted Benson for MATZ & Basic, then as soon as i got near Oxford (City) contact Brize... they just gave me traffic service and allowed me to transit their zone no probs - backup plan was an overhead through Oxford aerodrome - I was at 2500 feet as well

As far as the AIAA is concerned it's not a big deal - not even as big a deal as MATZ penetration really!

mary meagher
8th May 2009, 19:53
Presume you are intending your excursion this weekend? Forecast the beastly strong winds are going to relax a bit. Cumulus will nicely form inviting clouds. Gliders will be EVERYWHERE!

So lower may actually be safer, especially talking to Brize, they are very helpful indeed, and have their own little flying school operating on weekends.

Cross country gliders operate a heightband from 2,000' to cloudbase, and if the clouds line up into what we call streets, may dolphin along the street without even bothering to turn, in groups called gaggles, at speeds of 70 to 100 kph. Mostly coloured white, they can be hard to see unless they need to climb in a thermal, when they turn incessantly. You don't want to fly through thermals anyway, too bumpy to be comfortable.

Of course if you can fly high enough to be ABOVE the cumulus, it will be nice and smooth, and no gliders.

Not many over the Irish sea, either.

Have fun!

TrafficPilot
9th May 2009, 14:47
"Brize does NOT have a MATZ - it's a Class D CTR!"

Yes of course you are correct - I was thinking of Benson:O

TrafficPilot

Whopity
10th May 2009, 06:33
Its an AIAA because its a busy area, lots of local traffic and transit traffic but, because of that its very easy to get through, and ATC are used to a high volume of transit traffic. I regularly take PPLs through their on a Skill Test if only to prove its easier to transit than go around.

tmmorris
10th May 2009, 18:13
beware Abingdon: it's not closed at all, and you'll find Vigilant motorgliders bashing the circuit there at weekends.

Tim

whowhenwhy
11th May 2009, 16:50
Tim and Chequered Flag are spot on. At 2500ft AMSL, depending on how close to Benson you are when you set off, you may wish to call Benson for a zone transit. Alternatively, if you're starting from a distance from Benson, call Brize and they may sort this for you if Benson has no traffic to affect. Happt flying and enjoy the craic!:ok:

PompeyPaul
11th May 2009, 17:13
Thanks for all of the replies. It seems then there is nothing magical, or mystical about this airspace it's just very busy. Hence why Brize are in charge of it, but if you are to fly it then you fly it according to standard rules. You should call a station before overflying them or entering their ATZ.

I think I get it :ok:

Flying_Anorak
11th May 2009, 23:39
Hi Paul,

Just to add to Mary's excellent advice, please don't forget about D129 the Danger Zone at Weston on the Green. Most days, weekends included it is an ACTIVE parachute DZ with free fall parachuting from 13,500 QFE.

At weekends there is gliding activity within the DZ (operating under agreement with the paras) with winch launching to 3,000 QFE.

There have been a few 'bandits' recently and be aware that the DZ controllers have a huge pair of tripod mounted binoculars and they are now taking a very dim view of this, with at least one incident currently under investigation by the CAA. As one 'bandit' recently found out to his cost, the M40 to the east is still WITHIN the DZ so beware!

PM me for more details if you need them.

Paul
Oxford Gliding Club