PDA

View Full Version : The Boscombe Middle Wallop MATZ

generalspecific
7th May 2009, 03:49
Got to head Wycombe to Exeter way in a few weeks. Any one got any experience of getting a MATZ transit through the above or am I having a laugh?

Can always go North towards Keevil and Taunton.. but i'd save 5 or 10 m mins going the other way...

Weekend Flyer
7th May 2009, 07:13
Very friendly and efficient bunch - I've always had excellent service from them. Call them well before the MATZ boundary and they will almost certainly let you through, provided you avoid the Boscombe and Wallop ATZs.

You don't say whether your trip is on a weekday or a weekend. The MATZ is usually closed at weekends so make blind calls and remain outside the ATZs.

Genghis the Engineer
7th May 2009, 07:39
Just ask - probably easiest if you plan above the ATZ and through the BDN overhead on your route, but ultimately the BDN controllers are amongst the best in the country and they've always found a way to give me what I've asked for.

G

generalspecific
7th May 2009, 09:44
thanks guys... would plan 3+ to clear but in a heli and we get scared of heights.. also it is England so who knows what the weather will be like !

betterfromabove
7th May 2009, 11:45
Can go overhead BDN at weekends, keeping clear of ATZ, but beware:
(i) BDN sometimes have Tutors in the circuit off the very short 06/24(?) there at the weekends - not sure who they're speaking to, if anyone
(ii) Old Sarum switch their circuit "north-side" (i.e. towards BDN) when BDN's MATZ is inactive, so you can expect people joining in & around BDN at the weekends.
(iii) The DA's that are sprinkled around BDN & Old Sarum. If heading NE-SW should be able to avoid them all though.

Perhaps some of the real yocals can add some more detail....

Cheers
BFA

Mike Cross
7th May 2009, 17:10
As previously stated, they are mainly closed at weekends. Old Sarum Circuit is to the south when Boscombe is active and north when inactive.

Bear in mind the Porton Down prohibited area which lies just to the south of the railway line.

Personally I'd probably route Chilbolton (nice visible radio telescope in the middle of a disused airfield), Alderbury (VRP for Old Sarum). That takes you through the Wallop bit of the CMATZ which is less likely to have any fast traffic (Wallop will be visible as a dirty great grass field to your right). The alternative is to go between the Porton Down bit and the Salisbury Plain danger areas which runs you straight through the Boscombe overhead. Fine if you have a nice high cloudbase and can go over the top of the MATZ but the Chilbolton route won't add much distance and will be more relaxed.

The controllers don't bite.

englishal
7th May 2009, 17:23
I second Chilbolton - Alderbury. Never an issue. People inbound to Old Sarum will be at Alderbury at 1000' QNH, so transit above that.

Never tried the o/h at Boscombe - too many scary Euro fighters and Hercs for my liking ! There was also a long term notam around a while ago for aero's over Middle Wallop I think it was, so worth clearing them. Besides one time I was transitting CB-AB and saw rockets (model I guess) being launched from Middle Wallop!

Boscombe will hand you off to yeovilton, for either Basic or Traffic service.

tmmorris
7th May 2009, 19:14
Never been refused transit either direct through BDN overhead or via Middle Wallop. Watch out for the Hairy Arm Corps at the latter...

Tim

VP959
7th May 2009, 20:20
Besides one time I was transitting CB-AB and saw rockets (model I guess) being launched from Middle Wallop!

Wallop Defence Systems factory is right next to the airfield. They make pyrotechnic decoys and I believe they test them on site. Also, the Pains Wessex flare factory is not far from BDN and they test fire flares from time to time. Finally, BDN is home to the Aeromedical and Safety Training School, who also fire miniflares from time to time for student practice. I suspect that the School of Army Aviation at Middle Wallop may well do the same from their safety training organisation. Miniflares project about 200ft on a good day.

VP

englishal
7th May 2009, 21:41
Ah ha, that explains it! Firt time I did wonder if I'd missed a Notam :O

E-n-i-g-m-a-8-3
4th Jun 2009, 21:51
Boscombe are usually pretty accomodating, and will try to get you a suitable height either via CB or through the Boscombe OH, traffic dependant. The earlier you call, the more likely you are that they will let you through. Crossing the A34 when westbound is usually plenty of time, and abeam C/Abbas when on your return leg.

Whopity
4th Jun 2009, 22:17
You can always request a low level transit along the railway line, last time I did it it was about 800 feet.

E-n-i-g-m-a-8-3
16th Jun 2009, 18:50
The low level route runs from Grately to Wilton, and is available for rotary traffic not above 500ft on the Boscombe QFE. You must be familiar with the route to be allowed to use it, due to the proximity of the Porton Danger Area and the Boscombe visual circuit.

Cheers

Pronto
2nd Jul 2009, 13:49
It's worth bearing in mind that the Wallop ATZ is active H24, irrespective of whether ATC is active.

MW is closed most weekends, but there are still movements of AAC aircraft and a number of other aircraft - there are a number of light aircraft based there. The aerodrome is often also active at weekends with parascenders and with model aircraft flying with the latter acheiving (a claimed) 1,500 feet over the aerodrome.

Squawk 2650
2nd Jul 2009, 16:37
Have to give my thumbs up to the Boscombe down controllers, always really helpful.

S
:cool:

generalspecific
3rd Jul 2009, 10:00
For what its worth I did the trip a few weekends ago and chickened out and stayed North. A very pleasant potter along with just a bit of a squeeze through the little gap between Salisbury Plain and Keevil.

Lunch with the outlaws and their house and then home. Even managed not to land on their rose bushes...

Thx for all the sage advice

The General