View Full Version : Translation help please!

Newark_Anagram
6th May 2009, 07:12
Hi all,

I am looking for some help with a phrase that a friend has heard. I believe it to have been said to him at a restaurant by a waiter. I assume it was a thank you for the tip but I can't remember exactly.

Anyway the phrase is

"Grazie con tutto"

The phrase doesn't make sense to me as I would translate it as:

"Thankyou with everything"

Is this a common phrase in Italy? If so, would someone please explain what it means?

Thanks for your help,
NA

thewatcher
6th May 2009, 07:27
Could be just a shortcut from " grazie con tutto il cuore" that means thank you from my heart or in other words thanks a lot ( maybe because from what I know tips are not very used over there as service is already included in the bill).

PippoATC
6th May 2009, 07:29
the right phrase must be "grazie DI tutto!" it means "tankyou FOR everything"
Ciao!

Newark_Anagram
6th May 2009, 07:30
Yes watcher, that's all I could find when I googled the phrase. I've never heard the phrase myself, "molto gentille" is about the most common I've found!

NA

ssadie
6th May 2009, 07:36
Well, I've never heard anyone use it in Italy. Are you sure it wasn't "grazie DI tutto" or, "grazie PER tutto"??? in that case it makes sense, because the waiter is thanking your friend FOR everything, maybe he gave him a good tip and was also very friendly, so therefore he is thanking him for more than one thing.

The only other thing I can think of is that the sentence is not complete, maybe it was "grazie con tutto il cuore", but apart fom being veeeeeeery cheesy, it also sounds a bit over the top, and would mean "thank you with all my heart". a bit too much for good tip, innit?

cheeres:ok: