PDA

View Full Version : PPL Advice

Young soarer
5th May 2009, 21:58
Hi im 14 years old and I have already started my PPL. I am extremely keen and I am spending my second year in the ATC (Air Training Corps) and I was just wondering that I am really keen to join the air force but a part of me wants to go down the commercial route due to the financial side of things such as the salary :) . But what is best ????? :confused:

Also my goal is to go SOLO on my 16th birthday (hopefully) :cool::):ok:

Aerouk
5th May 2009, 22:08
The airforce will spend over a million pound training you to become a pilot, commercial aviation you will have to spend £45,000-70,000 of your own money on training.

I would say military and commercial salary are similar, deppending how high up the ladder you go.

Military is much harder to get into thant commercial aviation, job security in military is much better than it is in the commercial world. However, military guys must be prepared to work damn hard! Training is very hard, theres a chance you could be spending 6months overseas.

Hard one I would say. For me, I would try and get into the military if you don't get in then you could try the commercial world.

AlphaMale
5th May 2009, 23:07
I remember being a member of the ATC at 14 years old and being in the same predicament. I was told at 17 I'd be to tall to be a fighter pilot and that ended that dream.

After studying A level Maths, Physics and IT I then decided commercial was my only way of getting a job above the clouds and went to Uni in order to get a decent job to put myself through training.

I regret my move and wish I had joined the RAF as a pilot but on something I'd fit in. the Queen could have paid for my training and no doubt I'd still be loving my job, instead I have an office job and have to foot the full flight training myself at 27. If the forces appeal to you then go for it, I wish you all the best and grab as much flying as you can in the ATC :ok: