PDA

View Full Version : What Check ride required?

Up & Away
5th May 2009, 13:17
Please explain the rules if..
With a current SEP (flown on C172)..
I now wish to now fly a C42??
:confused:
What check ride is required ??

julian_storey
5th May 2009, 13:32
TECHNICALLY none (except possibly some differences training on the c/s prop).

Your SEP (Land) Class Rating entitles you to fly ANY aeroplane in the Single Engine Piston (Land) class.

Of course to jump into a Cirrus and attempt to fly it having only ever flown a Cessna 172 would be very stupid.

Realistically you would need a few hours conversion onto type - a Cirrus is a 'lot more aeroplane' than a Cessna 172.

Fright Level
5th May 2009, 13:35
What's a "check ride"??

Up & Away
5th May 2009, 13:37
My mistake its only a little Ikarus C42

julian_storey
5th May 2009, 13:43
A "check ride" is American for a skills test :O

An Ikarus is a microlight. You can fly one on your SEP (Land) class rating following differences training.

You'll find that it has substantially less inertia than your Cessna.

Up & Away
5th May 2009, 13:55
Does this mean 'difference' training with Microlight Instructor to then be examined, thus put as Microlight, a different class into licence or is this differences training with 'owner' until he's happy for you to take his aircraft

julian_storey
5th May 2009, 14:03
No skills test.

Just training sufficient for you to understand the handling and other differences between the microlight and your Cessna.

Up & Away
5th May 2009, 14:19
Many Thanks JS:ok:

The Heff
5th May 2009, 16:08
So hypothetically,

Would it be possible to train for a PPL on the Cessna 152, then legally hire and fly a Cessna 172 to take up (non-fee paying) passengers, etc. Or alternatively having trained on the Cessna 152 would it be possible to fly a PA-28 without having to do a type conversion for example?

Brooklands
5th May 2009, 16:53
Would it be possible to train for a PPL on the Cessna 152, then legally hire and fly a Cessna 172 to take up (non-fee paying) passengers, etc. Or alternatively having trained on the Cessna 152 would it be possible to fly a PA-28 without having to do a type conversion for example?
Yes - they all come into the SEP class so no conversion legally required - the hirer may have their own requirements though

Brooklands

pembroke
5th May 2009, 18:48
Surely, to fly a Ikarus C42, on a JAR or UK PPL, a microlight rating would be required. That would require differences training and a skill test from a microlight examiner or an SEP FE, approved by the BMAA. The other way would be to attach a microlight rating to a NPPL, but again that should need a test. Further comments please, especially from anyone close to the BMAA/LAA.

katana 1
5th May 2009, 19:53
I believe you do not need a microlight rating if you have JAA licence.
All the info you need will be on nppl web site.

jonkil
5th May 2009, 20:03
C42's also come in VLA, so technically may not a microlight.
Check it out.

pembroke
6th May 2009, 06:28
As of now, in the UK, I don't think we have a VLA rating or aircraft VLA category (check the latest ANO amendment). On NPPL you have either a SSEA ,SLMG/TMG or microlight rating. On a JAR/UK PPL you would have a microlight rating added. As far as I am aware, the C42 is only flown as a microlight in the UK. The best source of info on this , as I said above, is the BMAA/LAA.

S-Works
6th May 2009, 14:27
A JAA licence has embedded Micro-light privileges so only differences training recommended. No class rating or skill test.

An NPPL requires the ML rating added to it which is training and a test. The SSEA does not have embedded Micro-light privileges.

Up & Away
6th May 2009, 15:57
clearly understood
thanks to all:ok: