PDA

View Full Version : Tigerclub - Headcorn

MedusaThrills
4th May 2009, 17:27
Hello, I am a 17 year old student pilot. I am about a quarter of my way through my PPL and am looking of joining up to the tigerclub for when I pass.
I havent actually managed to get down and visit headcorn yet, unfortunately.
I was just wondering if there are any TC members here on pprune, that would be willing to talk me through the reality of the club. Are they a nice group of people, good socials as well.

What can I expect from being a full time member down there.

Thanks,
Alex

BroomstickPilot
4th May 2009, 17:35
Hi Medusa,

I note that you are based in Surrey, in which case Headcorn (Lashenden) is a helluva long way to go to fly.

There are other places that are either much nearer or easier to get to or both.

So why are you set on Headcorn?

Broomstick.

MedusaThrills
4th May 2009, 17:45
Hello.
Headcorn isnt really that far, if you think about it. I live on the very east side of Surrey. On the Surrey/Kent border. It is only 40 miles away and google earth has predicted it to be roughly an hour away.

Headcorn is famous for the Tiger Club. It used to be based at Redhill in the exact same hangar, I do part-time work in and fly out of.
Ive heard you can pick up some amazing tips, learn lots about aircraft and have a good time too. I would also like to do aerobatic competitions and formation flying in the Stampes and Moths.

The other place I was thinking of going to was White Waltham and looking at the aeros there. Although that is a completely different type of flying.

Doing a tail-wheel rating down at Redhill after I have completed a PPL in a Supercub.

Agaricus bisporus
4th May 2009, 18:03
Why not just go see them instead of asking for second-hand opinions that may not agree with your own views/reality?????

MedusaThrills
4th May 2009, 18:10
Well I was going to do that already, but theyre not going to say the worst parts about it. They are obviously going to glorify it to get more members and make sure that they dont get a bad reputation. Correct?

Fuji Abound
4th May 2009, 18:28
Great club. I am a member.

They are a really friendly bunch. The instructors / mentors are better than many of the average club instructors and the aircraft are in beautiful condition.

The club house (erhm, shed) is full of atmosphere and Headcorn is simpy a wonderful place - exactly as a grass strip should be. On a good day there will be the chutes descending, the Nippers formating, a little aerobating in the overhead, the model flyers at work, and all right with the world - oh, and I nearly forgot, a Tiger or two in the circuit.

I havent had the time to pay a visit for a while now - but they have my strong recommendation - and dont forget to get a shirt with the emblem!

Personally, I have to tell you I am not a fan of the Moth, but many are. It is just not my sort of aircraft, but that doesnt mean it is not yours, and I still find them fun to fly occasionally.

MedusaThrills
4th May 2009, 19:30
Thats good to here Fuji.
I got promised a ride up in this tiger (http://www.flyevation.co.uk/img/tiger24.jpg) but they got booted out the hangar shortly after an argument with the hangar owner unfortunately. May have to go and find them again! :)

The stampes SV4 are really what I want to go in.

Do you think I should go down there now and speak to them, despite me being only 12 hrs into my PPL?

Fuji Abound
4th May 2009, 19:49
Yes, why not, I am sure they will be pleased to see you.

You probably already understand fly a Moth is unlike a typical training aircraft. Inevitably they are harder to fly and require better technique.

If you have ever skied it is a bit like the difference between sking on a dry slope and the real stuff - the dry slope will be very revealing of poor technique.

A few have completed their PPL on a Tiger.

I would caution about changing mid stream if you had that in mind. Finish off your PPL first.

By all means take a pleasure flight in the Tiger - that will not do any harm - you might hate it, or you might love it! Come back and let us know.

will5023
4th May 2009, 19:54
Hi , as a new member and experienced tailwheel pilot, you will find the Tiger Club a mix of both young, old and middle aged(me !)most are friendly and there is always somone or something going on at Headcorn. Don't worry about being a low hour'd PPL, we all started at some point in the distant past, if you are willing to learn, level headed and keen to muck in you should fit in just fine. Good luck and may see you down there some time.

Will.

MedusaThrills
4th May 2009, 20:33
Fuji - I am planning on finishing off my PPL, then adding on about an extra 15-20 hours in the DA-20s. After this I have a friend who is a tailwheel instructor, (who has already agreed to take me up for bare minimum price and sign me off after he thinks im confident). The tailwheel will be done on a Supercub. I have already flown just over 4hrs in J3 Cubs and Supercubs, so am fairly confident with them already.

After I have tailwheel rating and PPL, I was planning on going down to the tiger club to practice out on the older planes!

I definitly know what you me about the skiing. Dry slopes are horrible compared to the real thing, especially when there are holes in the carpet! haha

Will - That sounds right up my street. The aerodrome I am currently on it quite anti-social for the PPL holder. Its okay for students, but once you have a licence its quiet and you dont often see others around.
I have been working in an aircraft matinenance (can never spell that word:O) hangar up at Biggin Hill airport for about 7 months now, and have worked at an Engineering Services down at redhill prior to that, but unfortunately they seized trading.

Im looking for a nice club where I can meet new friendly people and learn how to improve my flying and explore new air space! :)

Fuji Abound
4th May 2009, 21:01
Good luck with the rest of your PPL.

In time you will decide what type of flying you enjoy or suites your needs. In the mean time try as many types as money or time enables.

I use my aircraft for business and pleasure. Tailwheels on the whole do not give me the performance or weather capability that suites my needs. However, tailwheel types are usually great fun to fly and open up strips and places to visit not available to many other types.

With a cub you need to choose your weather carefully and expect to miss out on some flying in consequence. If you are going places you need time on your side. Cubs need to be hangared so on the whole forget get in and go. Dont expect crisp handling with many older types - Moths demonstrate well how far aircraft have come. Love them or hate them, fly them not for the handling but for the same reasons you would own an MG midget.

Tailwheels have also come a long way. I have flown a Husky - exactly what a modern tailwheel should be - I would buy one tomorrow if I could justify another aircraft. I have flown an Extra - a Husky with an aerobatic mission! Exactly what a modern tailwheel should be with an added edge.

Each to their own, each different, each will bring a smile - or a grimace when you find your skills are not up to the task.

Good luck!

Miserlou
5th May 2009, 18:09
Hi Medusa,
Yes there are quite a few members frequenting this forum.
I ccan wholeheartedlt recommend the Tiger Club and yes, it is well worth the travelling time. It was for me even though Redhill was an extra half an hour's drive. Headcorn was closer though.

At the Tiger Club you will meet many people of all ages. There are still many 'big' names there and you will have the opportunity to fly with some of them.
Don't be afraid of them, they are all there to help.

Furthermore, it is part of our aviation heritage. I don't believe anything like it exists any where in the world.
But I have met other members in strange places around europe and the bond, respect and helpfulness has always been strong.
Even one time when I was called to the tower (for a bllocking, I feared) the atmosphere was immediately soothed by the recognition of the badge on my flight suit. turned out they were members too and the case was a nosewheel pilot who wasn't where he said he was and came closer than he thought safe to my known and approved operation. No case to answer but plenty of reminiscing to be done.