PDA

View Full Version : Going to fly to N. Ireland - looking for airfield before Irish sea

PompeyPaul
4th May 2009, 14:10
Topic says it all. I'm looking at flying Fairoaks to Newtown Ards in the summer. My plan is to route north west to Anglesey, then cross the Irish sea directly to Newtown Ards.

Are there any airfields in Anglesey that will accept GA so that I can load with fuel before crossing ? I notice there is "Valley" and "Mona" but they both look like RAF bases. Mona looks like it accepts GA, at times, but I think it's only weekends.

Anybody done this route before and want to share their route (and who they talked to along the way) ?

Thanks

Cows getting bigger
4th May 2009, 15:23
Anglesey to Newtownards is only about 75nm; do you really need to stop for a top up that close to your destination? Also, I'm not sure that either Valley or Mona would be in a position to give you fuel.

The route most follow from the south is via Welshpool, LYNAS (NE of Anglesey) and RINGA allowing you to cross the sea clear of CAS at FL65 with about 65nm over the water. If you need to stop, Welshpool or Sleap are good options, leaving about 150nm to Newtownards

If you're not happy crossing the mountains, head up past Sleap towards Hawarden and then coast out at Point of Ayr. Two options here: direct via IOM (this adds about 30nm to your sea crossing) or along the North coast of Wales towards LYNAS.

ATC (at weekends) would be London INFO (124.275?), Ronaldsway Radar (120.850) for transit through the IOM CTR/CTA and Belfast Radar (130.850) before changing to Newtownards. Weekdays - Shawbury/Valley will be useful.

Robin Driver
4th May 2009, 15:33
If you're coming over the mountains, then fuel is available at Caernarfon and you can prep your survival equipment right on the coast instead of having to wear it for most of the flight.

There is no fuel at Mona, they go to Caernarfon and none at Valley.

Cows getting bigger
4th May 2009, 16:02
Ooops, I forgot Caernarfon - worth a visit regardless.

englishal
4th May 2009, 16:33
caernarfon ? Seems like a good piss stop....(oops posts crossed - or rather I didn't read the others properly!:O)...

As mentioned you can then lifejacket up before the trans-irish sea leg....and can do a spot of sight seeing around Snowdon on your way.