PDA

View Full Version : Accurate Timepiece

Spiral_Diver
4th May 2009, 00:20
Given the ability of getting the time from a GPS device does this meet the requirements for CAO 20.18?
Cheers,
SD

dogcharlietree
4th May 2009, 00:54
There was a time many, many, years ago when a DIGITAL watch did not cover the CAO requirement. :ugh:

VH-XXX
4th May 2009, 01:37
As long as the GPS device displays the time in seconds, then it would comply. In theory it will be more accurate than a digital watch as it's running directly off GMT and updated frequently via the satellites.

tmpffisch
4th May 2009, 02:17
And I imagine as long as the clock continues to work if you lose GPS signal.

VH-XXX
4th May 2009, 02:33
The clock will continue, yes.

There you have it, you now don't need to wear a watch when you fly. That will save you $5.

43Inches
4th May 2009, 02:56
The GPS clock does operate but if the signal loss is at power up it may just indicate the last shut down time, that is it needs the satellite to update the clock as well. I have noticed this on some GPS units, they will start counting from the previous shut down time until satellites aquired.

The watch issue will depend on the category of operation. If its a charter or RPT than a clock fitted to the aircraft is required, whether the pilot caries one does not matter. However if the clock in the aircraft does fail then it would be up to the MEL whether or not you could use the GPS clock etc...

compressor stall
4th May 2009, 03:01
In theory it will be more accurate than a digital watch as it's running directly off GMT and updated frequently via the satellites.

My understanding is that they run off Atomic clocks. Additionally, every few years as the earth slows in its rotation, there is a leap second inserted at year's end. The GPS clocks do NOT account for this, and consequently the GPS time is now ahead of GMT by a few seconds (I have lost track of exactly how many).

Capt Fathom
4th May 2009, 03:24
This was a popular choice in the past!

http://www.mouse-watches.com/images/mickey-mouse-watch-featured.jpg

Spiral_Diver
4th May 2009, 03:53
Thanks guys,

Was just curious as it was indicated to me that it was sufficient.

Although not very useful for RNAV holding pattern timing :D (depending on the actual unit)

Cheers

VH-XXX
4th May 2009, 04:15
Does a $4.95 Kmart clock run off GMT then?

For 99% of pilots who don't call the Telstra time every day to synchronise their watches, I think the GPS would be fine :)

ZEEBEE
4th May 2009, 05:59
My understanding is that they run off Atomic clocks. Additionally, every few years as the earth slows in its rotation, there is a leap second inserted at year's end. The GPS clocks do NOT account for this, and consequently the GPS time is now ahead of GMT by a few seconds (I have lost track of exactly how many).

Sort of true, but not relevant to consumer GPS Receivers.

The GPS Time is corrected back to UTC so you don't have to worry about the correction factor unless you download the raw GPS data.
In which case you'll first have to do some math because it's reported in seconds elapsed after midnight 5th jan 1980 plus the accumulated leap seconds.

Kelly Slater
4th May 2009, 08:16
The requirement was for an accurate timepiece with a sweep second hand, making digital clocks unacceptable. The requirement may have changed but I'm not interested enough to look right now.

Jazzy78910
4th May 2009, 09:40
Checking CASA, it states "an accurate timepiece indicating hours, minutes and seconds" It no longer indicates analogue or digital.

With regards to synchronizing watches regularly:
If you own a PC with either Win-XP or Vista and are also on the internet, you can double-click the time in the bottom right of the screen, then click on "Internet Time". This will display the options for synchronizing your PC with an insanely accurate Time Keeping Server online. Once you've synced your PC, you can sync your watch with it to the second! No more calls to telstra!

Darkrampage
4th May 2009, 09:40
Does this apply to digital watches with the seconds displayed?

Ie. it has to be a physical sweep second hand?

VH-XXX
4th May 2009, 09:48
Jazzy has got it in one. Digital is acceptable these days!

the wizard of auz
4th May 2009, 11:18
Hell, if my $3 sevo watch is in the same hour, I'm happy. I can't count anyway, so I guess at ETA, circuit at time. :E

Peter Fanelli
4th May 2009, 12:13
Geeeeez what is it with you technology freaks.
I've had my old watch for years and it was just fine for use when I was flying.
Bloody young whippersnappers!

Here's mine.
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s295/bigt57/sundial.jpg

FourBalls
4th May 2009, 12:35
Crikey Pete! Does it work at any time other than midday when the sun is high enough to shine through the arm hair? :ouch:

ForkTailedDrKiller
4th May 2009, 12:55
I haven't worn a watch for years. A mobile phone is the pocket watch of the noughties!

Dr :8

apache
4th May 2009, 13:02
Pete... does that thing work when in IMC? or at night?

My understanding is that GPS, for every second of error from the satellites equates to about 200nm error on the ground/in the air.

11% .... where are you????????????

besides..... "accurate timepiece displaying hours,minutes AND seconds is a tax deduction EVERY YEAR!!!! just call it a"NDB timer", not a watch, and there are no problems!.... besides... you ONLY need a receipt IF you get audited, or it costs more than xxx dollars!

freshy1234
4th May 2009, 17:42
Sort of true, but not relevant to consumer GPS Receivers.
I thought that it was the receiver that calculated position.
Making accurate time very important to the device...

ZEEBEE
5th May 2009, 02:51
I thought that it was the receiver that calculated position.
Making accurate time very important to the device...

True, the receiver does calculate the position, but the timing necessary for that is embedded in the PSN code that is part of the signal stream.
That comes from the individual satellite rubidium clock that is uddated periodically by the Ground stations that are locked to a Hydrogen maser standard at Goddard or somewhere like that.

BPH63
5th May 2009, 06:15
i went and bought my first watch in 20 years - from Kmart -$19.95 (couldn't find any of those $5 ones - do they exist?) after being told by instructor mobile phone not good enough. Bloody aviation costs! :mad:

Towering Q
6th May 2009, 04:12
This guy has the right idea.:cool:

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k176/towering_q/flavor-flav-red-carpet.jpg

apache
6th May 2009, 09:08
Actually, that guy has NO IDEA!