PDA

View Full Version : B744 - B767 systems

JulieFlyGal
2nd May 2009, 12:11
Having done my ATPL systems exams some time ago, I have a basic idea of what some some of the systems are in the 'modern' airliner cockpit (our syllabus is based on the 767). But one area that I'm still a little vague on is the use of VNAV. Am I correct in saying that there are 3 ways that you can achieve a climb in a 744/767 on the MCP which are;

a) through pressing FL CH and the aircraft will climb at max thrust setting;

b) through pressing VS and the aircraft will climb at the vertical speed set in the VS window;

c) through selecting VNAV whereby the aircraft will climb at a precomputed profile set by the FMC?

Another quick question. In this picture of a B744 (http://www.airliners.net/photo/Qantas/Boeing-747-438/1214036/L/), what is the purpose of the lever (with the white knob that appears to rotate in a circular motion) that's located immediately behind each pilot's control column and underneath the PFD. My guess is that it's used to adjust the rudder pedals. Is that correct?

.. just curious.

Boxshifter
2nd May 2009, 13:42
To answer your second question first, you are right. The lever will adjust the position of the rudder pedals.

In respect to FLCH, well it depends. On the B744 it might not be full thrust if the difference between levels are small.

Offchocks
2nd May 2009, 14:41
JulieFlyGal

a) When climbing in FLCH the computer will try to change altitude in approx. 2mins with variable thrust up to rating one or max climb thrust depending what you have selected. If it can't do it in under 2mins it gives you the max thrust for the rating you have selected.

b) Yes....... up until you have obtained max thrust selected, then the speed decreases and then eventually !!!!

c) Yes

Rudder pedal adjustment for short or long legs! :)

Henry VIII
2nd May 2009, 19:44
If it can't do it in under 2mins it gives you the max thrust for the rating you have selected:ok: or idle in case of descent.

NickN80
4th May 2009, 03:29
Keep in mind there is no speed protection in V/S mode.

Maisk Rotum
4th May 2009, 13:25
"When climbing in FLCH the computer will try to change altitude in approx. 2mins with variable thrust up to rating one or max climb thrust depending what you have selected. If it can't do it in under 2mins it gives you the max thrust for the rating you have selected".

I have been flying the GE and PW variant of the 744 for years and I have never heard of this two minute variable thrust climb logic. I believe it only applies to the software in the RR powered variant. Anyone??

Intruder
4th May 2009, 17:53
It's active in our GE powered 744s. Maybe your training program is deficient...

NSEU
5th May 2009, 22:51
I have heard this 2 minute version called "Intelligent FLCH". Perhaps your training notes use this term?

Willit Run
6th May 2009, 00:39
FLCH is a standard function on 744's. It indeed tries to get you there in 2 minutes.

When lifes a bitch,FLCH is the switch!

JulieFlyGal
6th May 2009, 12:44
hey thanks for the replies and confirmation. it's my dream to one day fly a Boeing 744 or B767. will they still be around in 10 years time, or will the 787 supersede them?

wiggy
6th May 2009, 17:06
It all depends on wether the 787 has flown in ten years time.....

TopBunk
6th May 2009, 17:32
I think it's fair to say that the 787 will never supercede the 747. imho the 747-400 still remains the de facto target to beat in terms of premium travel. In time, I'm sure that the A380 will prevail, but the 777 never will, due to the cabin/galley/toilet layout and the noise levels.

Just ask your prem pax which they prefer to fly on, the 744 rules over the 777.