PDA

View Full Version : Flying around the LTMA

venkoj
1st May 2009, 09:04
I'm soon due to fly from Gloucester to Southend. I have never flown near the LTMA so was hoping to get some info from those who fly in the area.

The plan looks set to take us south of EGLL on the way there and north on the way back. We will obviously be flying in airspace very near to the lower limit of the LTMA. Now I presume that VFR flights into the LTMA are not permitted even with SVFR - is that correct?

On approaching Reading should we just be using Farnborough and remain under the LTMA whilst routing east?

Thanks

italianjon
1st May 2009, 09:48
Bottom line, easy as long as you take care, and the points to consider are altitudes and controlled airspace. And the biggest thing to remember in that area, if you think you have made a mistake for god's sake talk to somebody even if it is on 121.5... I would rather be embarassed than have several jets break off approaches!

I imagine you'll be coming south of Brize in which case call up EGLF LARS, they will provide a Basic and nudge you if you venture too close to CAS... BUT it is still on your head if you do enter... they will also be able to look after you all they way round to hand over to Southend. Workload permitting they can talk to EGLL on your behalf to get something set up for a SVFR transit.

Stay aware to the south as you are in a narrow corridor between EGLL and EGKK... but saying that done it loads of times, and it really is just look out of the window.

In terms if getting into EGLL Zone, one way I have done is Burnham NDB to Bagshot Mast in the south of the zone, but give them a call and ask. For a VERY busy unit I have found them one of the most accomodating and helpful in my little adventures. Just tell them what you want and stick to it.

There are no special considerastions to flying in that area, just your normal ones a little more disciplined... keep a good lookout, as traffic is more dense, and use available services, e.g. LARS, and Biggin through their overhead. You might be able to get a BS from KK too...

PM me if you want more.

BackPacker
1st May 2009, 11:48
I have flown around London three times now, all in a DA-40 with dual Garmin 430s. Although I normally try to navigate by sight, map, compass and stopwatch, with the occasional VOR thrown in over featureless/unfamiliar terrain, I find that around London a moving map GPS is invaluable, particularly if you're not familiar with the area.

I'm now planning a flight in that general area in an aircraft which has no moving map GPS, no ADF and no DME. I'm already hunting for a handheld moving map GPS to buy or borrow.

This is one of the places where you can into trouble fast despite Proper Planning so make sure everything is in your favor.

Brooklands
1st May 2009, 12:52
Now I presume that VFR flights into the LTMA are not permitted even with SVFR - is that correct?

Yes. You can only get SVFR in a CTR. If the airspace doesn't extend from the surface you can't have SVFR in it.

Brooklands

englishal
1st May 2009, 13:34
If the airspace doesn't extend from the surface you can't have SVFR in it.
Why on earth did they come up with that one I wonder? Would be quite nice to be able to fly SVFR to the channel islands in R41 at FL60.......

Roffa
1st May 2009, 17:58
Because flight in airways was never the rationale behind the introduction of SVFR in the first place.

englishal
1st May 2009, 20:11
Yes but why can't you fly SVFR in or across airways with a suitable clearance? Just curious....