PDA

View Full Version : Boeing P-8A Poseidon Successfully Completes 1st Flight (P3 replacement)

Going Boeing
29th Apr 2009, 11:35
http://www.asd-network.com/data_news/ID20279_600.jpg

Boeing P-8A Poseidon Successfully Completes 1st Flight

(Seattle, April 27, 2009) -- Boeing [NYSE: BA] P-8A Poseidon test aircraft T-1 successfully completed its first flight April 25, taking off from Renton Field at 10:43 a.m. and touching down at Boeing Field in Seattle at 2:14 p.m. The P-8A performed a series of flight checks, reached a maximum altitude of 25,000 feet, and landed after three hours, 31 minutes in the air.

"This is a significant accomplishment for the P-8A team, as it moves us one step closer to delivering the next maritime patrol and reconnaissance aircraft to the warfighter," said Capt. Mike Moran, P-8A program manager for the U.S. Navy. "Today's flight is a clear demonstration of the program's commitment to delivering this critical capability on time and the result of a tremendous effort by the joint Navy/Boeing team. I commend Boeing for putting its 'A-Team' in place on this program and enabling the Navy to leverage Boeing's experience, expertise and, more importantly, dedication to make this aircraft a reality."

Prior to takeoff, the P-8A team completed a limited series of flight checks, including engine starts and shutdowns. During the flight, test pilots performed airborne systems checks including engine accelerations and decelerations, autopilot flight modes, and auxiliary power unit shutdowns and starts.

"This is an exciting day for the P-8A program and a tribute to the hard work of the entire team," said Bob Feldmann, Boeing vice president and P-8 program manager. "We understand the needs of the U.S. Navy and maritime patrol community, and we are dedicated to meeting every one of our future milestones on or ahead of plan."

The integrated Navy/Boeing team will begin formal flight testing of the P-8A during the third quarter of this year. Before that, Boeing will paint the aircraft, install additional flight test instrumentation and conduct a series of ground tests.

The P-8A, a derivative of the Next-Generation 737-800, is built by a Boeing-led industry team that includes CFM International, Northrop Grumman, Raytheon, Spirit AeroSystems and GE Aviation. The team currently is assembling and testing the first five P-8As.

The Navy plans to purchase 108 P-8As to replace its fleet of P-3C aircraft. Initial operational capability is planned for 2013.

Company Center : The Boeing Company (NYSE: BA)

ruprecht
29th Apr 2009, 11:44
I bet you could fit a lot of Webers on that thing.:)

Agony
29th Apr 2009, 12:12
or weed whackers................or ride-ons...................or Duty free ;)

Shot Nancy
29th Apr 2009, 12:44
I bet you could fit a lot of Webers on that thing

So it has a bomb bay then? I should do some research.

I thought a FBW side-stick platform would have been safer for low level IMC ops but then again P3 ops have changed a lot over the last 20 years.

Buster Hyman
29th Apr 2009, 14:26
I don't like the colour.

(-4)

Going Boeing
29th Apr 2009, 21:27
It may end up fitted with some schmick gear but it's only got two engines, a cramped flight deck and is a sh1tload slower than the P3 running in to the datum. Personally, I think that the B737 airframe was a poor choice.

Howard Hughes
29th Apr 2009, 22:59
Looks like you won't be able two shut two down for extended overwater ops...:ooh:

empacher48
30th Apr 2009, 00:18
You can shut two down for extended ops - you'll just stay up there forever..
:}

Buster Hyman
30th Apr 2009, 00:36
Too right! Just crank up the APU to...oh...700% power output & she's apples! :ok:

(-3)

c100driver
30th Apr 2009, 01:32
Going Boeing are you being paid by Boeing for the number of cut and paste Boeing articles you can get on PPrune? :D:D:D

F22, F35, B737 wedgetail, B737 P8 etc?

Just wondering!

dostum
30th Apr 2009, 02:10
Yes,This thing does have a bomb bay, but aft of the mainplane. The P8 will be able to carry SLAM ER, JDAMs and Mk 54 Torps. Interestingly, there will no longer be any need to be down low for a torp drop, given the combination of Mk 54 and JDAM kits. I also understand the Americans have taken out the MAD kit.I guess the maritime role has evolved a lot over the years, its no longer all 'blue water' stuff. I think the new concept touted by USN is Maritime/Patrol/ Reconnaissance and Attack.This new aircraft will be well suited to ops overland (ISR) and will give commanders plenty of flexibility as an 'extra shooter' over theatres such as Iraq and Afghanistan.Hopefully the White Paper will give more guidance, but these aircraft would be an enormous boost to RAAF capability.

Going Boeing
30th Apr 2009, 02:19
Going Boeing are you being paid by Boeing for the number of cut and paste Boeing articles you can get on PPrune?

Nah, I subscribed to asd-network.com Daily News Headlines & when I see articles that I think may be of interest to Prooners, I post them.

Even though I love flying Boeing airliners, I think that Lockheed makes the best aircraft. :ok:

dostum
30th Apr 2009, 02:20
Oh...and another piece of trivia. The P8 Bomb Bay has the same dimensions as the JSF Bomb Bay, so that common weapons can be used in the future.

Green gorilla
30th Apr 2009, 02:45
Apart from some systems fitted its a test of a 737.

Frank Burden
30th Apr 2009, 13:50
Perfect aircraft for a low level visual task on a search and rescue mission 500 miles off Sydney. Good transit speed, excellent endurance, perfect observation platform, and low level performance to match none.

YoDawg
30th Apr 2009, 16:24
low level performance to match none.

B737 flight: Thrust change, trim-trim-trim, speed change, trim-trim-trim. Not sure if that's ideal at a hundred feet or so...

I would've happily told them that if they'd asked me before they committed all the munny.

(what, no more ASW at 100ft...????)

I'm guessing major bragging rights and free beers for the first guy to shoot something out of the water or sky in a Boeing 737!!!

ol-mate
30th Apr 2009, 22:07
But has anyone seen the japs new MPA, the Kawasaki PX. I reckon it looks a winner.

Kawasaki P-X first flight - Airlinebuzz - Commercial Aviation and Beyond! ™ (http://www.airlinebuzz.com/forums/blog.php?b=6)

Going Boeing
30th Apr 2009, 22:25
Good transit speed, excellent endurance, perfect observation platform, and low level performance to match none.

I assume Frank that you had your tongue firmly planted in your cheek when you wrote that. The B737 is marginally faster in transit speed, over 50 knots slower in low level performance, has narrow "slit" flight deck windows for observation and has a higher noise level on the flight deck at high speed. You might have guessed that I'm not a fan of the "slug".

Goat Whisperer
1st May 2009, 01:25
The headline could have been "Boeing successfully test flies 737 - for 5th time this week"

Just because they get the airframe into the air doesn't make it a sub hunter. Wedgetail has been flyable for some time, but an AEW it is not.

aveng
1st May 2009, 02:21
Umm going to be some adjustment time required -P3 top of descent, bomb bay heat 'off' = perfect cold beer at arrival.
Don't know about descent from 43000 ft.:uhoh:

Going Boeing
7th May 2009, 05:29
MOU Signed With USN for Development of P-8A Poseidon Aircraft

(May6, 2009) -- I am pleased to announce that Defence has taken the first steps in a $A5 billion project to acquire a manned Maritime Patrol and Response Aircraft by signing a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the United States Navy (USN) to cooperatively develop upgrades to the P-8A Poseidon aircraft and support systems.

The manned aircraft, to be acquired under Project AIR7000 Phase 2, in conjunction with the Multi-mission Unmanned Aerial System, to be acquired under Project AIR 7000 Phase 1.

The P‑8A is a modern, highly reliable aircraft based on the commercially-proven Boeing B737, and modified to incorporate the latest maritime surveillance and attack capabilities.

Defence will collaborate in Spiral One, the first in a series of improvements planned through the life of the P-8A. Through participation in the P-8A Spiral One cooperative development program, Defence seeks to gain information on the P-8A to support the acquisition and through life support decisions, provide opportunities for Australian industry, and influence the direction of P-8A improvements.

The 2009 Defence White Paper detailed the Government's plans to acquire eight new maritime patrol aircraft to replace the capability currently provided by the AP-3C Orion aircraft, when that aircraft is retired in 2018 after 30‑years of RAAF service.

These new aircraft will provide a highly advanced surface search radar and optical, infra-red and electronic surveillance systems. With these systems, along with a high transit speed and the ability to conduct air- to- air refuelling, these aircraft will provide a superior capability for rapid area search and identification tasks. They will also provide a highly advanced anti- submarine warfare capability, including the ability to engage submarines using air- launched torpedoes.

Source : MoD Australia

peuce
7th May 2009, 21:54
"Air to Air refueling" ?????

That turns a 12 hour sortie into a 24 hour sortie ....

Hope they have plenty of space onboard for extra crew ...

Agony
7th May 2009, 22:19
More like a 6 hr sortie into a 12 hr sortie, not sure that the 73 has the same endurance of the P3............:ok:

Going Boeing
8th May 2009, 00:50
http://www.asd-network.com/data_news/ID20410_600.jpg

(Seattle, May 5, 2009) -- The first painted P-8A Poseidon aircraft rolls out of the paint hangar at Boeing's [NYSE: BA] Renton, Wash., facility, displaying its new U.S. Navy livery. The aircraft, designated T-2, is the third of five test aircraft being assembled and tested as part of the System Development and Demonstration contract that Boeing received in 2004.

The first test aircraft, T-1, which successfully completed the program's first flight on April 25, will be painted in the same gray paint scheme later this summer. T-2 was painted in late April.

The Navy plans to purchase 108 P-8A anti-submarine warfare aircraft to replace its fleet of P-3Cs. Initial operational capability is planned for 2013. The P-8A is built by a Boeing-led industry team that includes CFM International, Northrop Grumman, Raytheon, Spirit AeroSystems and GE Aviation.

Company Center : The Boeing Company (NYSE: BA)

US Navy is not known fo having "sexy" paint schemes.

Agony, I understand that the P-8A has the extra fuel capacity of the BBJ but that would still make less endurance than the P-3. I believe that new technology ASW & Surveillance sensors will mean the P-8A will not do much low level operations so that should result in better endurance. I still think that the P-3 is the best airframe.

Flight Detent
8th May 2009, 02:25
Errr...
I can't think of any way AT ALL that this P-8 airplane can come close to the overall performance and crew comfort attributes of a Lockheed P3C.

Even the -800 is very limited in internal space, and the flight deck, well, thats just a joke for long endurance flying.
The 737 flight deck was designed for inter-city short hops type of flying, and now look at what they're expecting the flight crew to do!

Additionally, with the weapons bay aft of the CoG, how much weight do you think will be able to be carried there?

For my money, and I have well over 5,500 hours operating P3s, this is not the replacement the crews are looking for!

The only advantage it's got is a higher cruising altitude capability, and with that weather radar (fwd looking only), what do they think it's going to see?

No wonder they pulled out the MAD gear, that's not much good doing a MAD run at 5,000 feet!

...and I haven't even mentioned the lack of a Flight Engineer...

More P3s, is the way to go!

Cheers...FD...:ok:

Loiter1
8th May 2009, 02:46
Apparently airlines the world over are test flying 737NGs successfully everyday. Hard to beleive I know, you heard it here first.:ok:

Taildragger67
10th May 2009, 12:46
GB,

Source : MoD Australia

Hope this is a direct quote as there ain't no such animal as "MoD Australia".

No winglets...

Going Boeing
10th May 2009, 22:20
Yeah Tailly, it's a direct quote (asd.com) - they're just like other journos.

Instead of blended winglets, it's fitted with raked wing tips (also fitted to B767-400, B777-200LR, B777-300ER, B787, B747-8) which are just as effective in reducing vortex drag but also increase effective wing area. The resultant increase in wing flexing is normally compensated by slightly increasing the thickness of the wing skins in the some areas.

Going Boeing
6th Oct 2009, 01:17
LM Delivers 1st Set Of P-3 Orion New Production Wings To Norway

(Marietta, Ga, September 29, 2009) -- Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT] delivered the first set of new production P-3 Orion wings to the company's launch customer, the Royal Norwegian Air Force, on Sept. 25. The milestone delivery ushers in a new era of P-3 life cycle sustainment.

"These new wings take Lockheed Martin's long-standing commitment to the sustainment and support of the P-3 Orion to the next level," said Ray Burick, Lockheed Martin P-3/S-3 Programs vice president. "Working with our many P-3 customer operators worldwide, we identified a coming need to replace P-3 wings. We established the P-3 wing production line to meet that need and to ensure that our customers' P-3s are patrolling the skies for decades to come. We're proud to announce that our customers, beginning with the Royal Norwegian Air Force (RNoAF), will begin to reap the benefits of those efforts."

The new production wings are the cornerstone of Lockheed Martin's P-3 Aircraft Service Life Extension Program (ASLEP). ASLEP replaces the outer wings, center wing lower surface assembly, horizontal stabilizer, wing and horizontal stabilizer leading edges and various filet fairings. All necessary fatigue-life limiting structures are replaced, leading to significantly reduced maintenance and sustainment costs. New alloys are employed that provide a fivefold increase in corrosion resistance. ASLEP is the only solution that removes all current airframe flight restrictions on the P-3.

The RNoAF will receive six life extension kits, two conditional kits and engineering support under the contract. Other ASLEP customers to date include U.S. Customs & Border Protection, Canada and Taiwan. Additionally, the U.S. Navy has contracted with Lockheed Martin for 13 sets of P-3 outer wings.

"Lockheed Martin is committed to the complete life cycle sustainment of its aircraft, and our total range of P-3 support capabilities epitomizes that commitment," said Rob Weiss, Lockheed Martin Global Sustainment executive vice president. "Once the Norwegian P-3s are fitted with these new wings and the accompanying ASLEP components, the RNoAF will be able to execute their maritime patrol missions with confidence well into the future."

Source : Lockheed Martin Corporation (NYSE: LMT)

Going Boeing
6th Oct 2009, 01:20
(Newtown, Conn., October 2, 2009) -- According to Forecast International's annual review of the market for airborne anti-submarine warfare (ASW) sensors, the next 10 years will see production of more than 199,000 systems valued at $6.1 billion. This growth in the airborne ASW sensor market reflects the fact that aircraft remain the most mobile, flexible, and cost-effective ASW systems available to the world's navies. Despite economic doubts and uncertainties sur-rounding the defense industry in the first decade of the 21st century, aircraft continue to be the most dangerous adversary faced by a submarine fleet.

"Airborne ASW systems are likely to be the first line of defense against any major submarine threat over the next decade," said Stuart Slade, senior naval editor at Forecast International. For that reason, the research and development funding that accounts for nearly half of this sector's fiscal value is of critical importance for the future of the market as a whole.

In the analysis, Slade notes the dynamic nature of this market sector's technology, which is revolutionizing submarines: the introduction of air-independent propulsion for diesel-electric submarines; new weapons and sensor technologies; new silencing techniques; and, perhaps most significantly, the widespread introduction of unmanned underwater vehicles for more hazardous duties. Silencing techniques, originally designed for nuclear boats, have made the latest diesel-electric designs remarkably quiet.

At the same time, ASW detection technology has also advanced. Computers continue to increase their processing speed, allowing data to be handled more quickly and accurately. The advanced technology allows more accurate detection of the source of a sound, providing the ability to disentangle the slight and transient sounds made by a submarine from the sea's background noises. Improving datalinks and information dissemination means that target data can get from the spotter to the shooter with minimum delay.

Sonobuoys still represent 99.4 percent of the airborne ASW market, with the sale of 198,046 units projected over the next 10 years. Yet, in terms of value of production, these units represent only $212.35 million, or 3.50 percent of the market. The average cost of the units in this category is about $1,000, stressing the very low-cost/high-volume aspect of this segment. Sales of radar sets optimized for periscope and snort detection, and electronic support measures (ESM) equipment designed to localize radar and communications transmissions from subma-rines and dipping sonars, are expected to total 1,119 units over the next 10 years, valued at $5.84 billion, for a unit cost of $5.226 million.

The airborne ASW sector has only eight major corporate participants. Leading the segment is Raytheon, which is expected to achieve sales of $1.9 billion (31.51 percent market share) over the next 10 years. The Telephonics Division of Griffon Corp follows, with a projected 10-year sales value of $559 million (9.22 percent market share). L‑3 Communications holds third place, with projected sales of $300 million (4.95 percent).

These companies have maintained their position by exploiting new technologies and materials to increase equipment reliability and performance while lowering life-cycle costs, crucial qualities among the military services.

Source : Forecast International Inc.

Keg
6th Oct 2009, 01:27
Strewth GB, the new wings for the P3 makes it sound like the old analogy of the farmers axe. He's had it for four decades and only changed the head three times and the handle five! :ok:

Going Boeing
6th Oct 2009, 09:22
Yeah Keg, I knew that I was stretching things a bit when I suggested another refurbishment, but as everyone knows (except the USN Brass), the P3 is a vastly superior airframe to the B737/P8-A, which is why the Norwegians are doing the wing mods. Fit the P8-A avionics into the P3 and you'll have a great LRMP.

FlexibleResponse
6th Oct 2009, 13:52
The USN isn't stupid when it comes to selecting platforms and weapons for their sailors to use for force projection or to wage war with.

If the P-8A doesn't hack the mission, it will be kicked well and truly out of play.

Political pressure impinges upon many decisions that the Military must take, but in the end, only demonstrated mission capability wins the contract.

Operational Evaluation trials will tell the story. Watch this space...

FlexibleResponse
6th Oct 2009, 14:23
The Kawasaki seems to have similar performance but its' armament capability seems to be far superior to the P-8A?

Kawasaki P-1 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_P-1)

P-8 Poseidon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-8_Poseidon)

peuce
6th Oct 2009, 20:31
And the Kawasaki has a sting in its tail ... unlike the Poseidon

Flight Detent
7th Oct 2009, 03:11
Hi "Going Boeing".....

Just thought I would correct an error in your post of 7th May. (#21)

You mentioned...
"....the AP-3C Orion aircraft, when that aircraft is retired in 2018 after 30‑years of RAAF service."

Wrong...

The initial delivery of the first P3Cs, 751 thru 760 was started in 1978 via training with VP-31 at NAS Moffet Field near San Francisco. I was there doing the transition training and acceptance test flying and delivery of 754 and 760!

That makes it 40 years service in 2018.

And, the 40 years service of the P3 in the RAAF (in 2008) was from the initial delivery of the P3Bs in 1968.
Although I wasn't there for that delivery into service, I did do my initial flight training and qualification on the P3B!

Can't understand why they don't retain the P3Cs, all those resources spent upgrading and operating them, they seem to be significantly better suited than any turbojet, 737 or any other!

Cheers...FD...:)

Going Boeing
7th Oct 2009, 08:42
FD, thanks for the correction. I just copied the article from ASD.com without any changes so I'll blame the Maths error on the original journo.

At the time you were taking delivery of 754, I was with the squadron on the other side of the brick sh1thouse.

GB

Going Boeing
20th Nov 2009, 02:44
http://www.asdnews.com/data_news/ID24603_600.jpg

The new production wings are the cornerstone of the Aircraft Service Life Extension Program

(Marietta, Ga., November 18, 2009) -- Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT] and U.S. Customs & Border Protection (CBP) officials marked the delivery of the first CBP set of new production P-3 Orion wings from the company's Marietta, Ga., production facility today.

The new production wings are the cornerstone of the Aircraft Service Life Extension Program (ASLEP) which provides an industry-unique solution in keeping the world's P-3 fleets operational. P-3 operators selecting ASLEP will benefit from an additional 15,000+ flight hours per updated aircraft, extending the P-3's service life 20-25 years.

"Lockheed Martin is extremely proud of its strong partnership with our Customs & Border Protection customer," said Ray Burick, Lockheed Martin P-3/S-3 Programs vice president. "The CBP P-3 mission is truly unique, and vital to our nation's homeland security initiatives. We are honored to play a role in supporting CBP."

Under ASLEP, P-3 outer wings, center wing lower surface assembly, horizontal stabilizer, wing and horizontal stabilizer leading edges and various filet fairings are replaced. All necessary fatigue-life limiting structures are replaced, and new alloys are employed that provide a fivefold increase in corrosion resistance. ASLEP removes all current airframe flight restrictions on the P-3.

In April 2008, CBP contracted with Lockheed Martin under the P-3 Aircraft Service Life Extension Program (ASLEP), ordering up to 14 all-new production wing life extension kits. To-date, CBP has placed firm orders for six life extension kits. Other ASLEP customers to date include Canada and Taiwan. The U.S. Navy has contracted with Lockheed Martin for 13 sets of P-3 outer wings.

Some of the U.S. Customs & Border Protection (CBP) aircraft are ex RAAF P3-B's that were traded in for more P-3C's in the mid 1980's. They date back to circa 1968.

FoxtrotAlpha18
21st Nov 2009, 01:03
The AP-3Cs will need more than just new wing sets after 2018...even one of Lockheed's own senior guys in Oz (a former P-3 CO/OC) admits this!

Frank Burden
21st Nov 2009, 05:14
How many P-8A will Australia be ordering. From memory we have 18 P-3C but I expect the number crunchers will reduce the fleet size due to the fact that we don't need coastal protection resources!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Going Boeing
21st Nov 2009, 09:06
Frank, I understand that the plan is for one squadron (10 aircraft) of P-8A's (11 Sqn) and one squadron of Global Hawk (or Mariner) UAV's (10 Sqn).

Going Boeing
29th Jul 2010, 23:57
LM Delivers 1st Set of New Canadian CP-140 Wings

(Marietta, Ga., July 28, 2010) -- Lockheed Martin delivered the first of 10 new Mid-Life Upgrade (MLU) outer wings on July 28 for installation on a CP-140 Aurora for the Government of Canada. These wings will be installed by IMP Aerospace, a Lockheed Martin P-3 service center located in Halifax, Nova Scotia.

Canada operates a fleet of 18 CP-140 Aurora aircraft playing a critical role in search and rescue, littoral/overland surveillance, economic zone and shipping lane protection, submarine detection and anti-terrorism. The aircraft are based on the P-3 Orion airframe.

The MLU program replaces the outer wings, center wing lower surface, horizontal stabilizer and horizontal stabilizer leading edges with all new material. All necessary fatigue-life limiting structure is replaced and new alloys are used with a five-fold increase in corrosion resistance to provide significantly reduced maintenance and sustainment costs. The MLU will extend the structural service life of the CP-140 up to 15,000 hours and adds 20 years of operational use.

"The Government of Canada's MLU program reinforces our commitment to support the CP-140s for the long-term," said Ray Burick, Lockheed Martin P-3 Program vice president. "We are also proud to partner with IMP Aerospace for the installation of the MLU on the Auroras."

"As Canada's CP-140 In Service Support contractor, IMP is very pleased to continue our long-term partnership with Lockheed Martin, while upgrading this critical and strategic fleet for the Canadian Forces," said David Gossen, president of IMP Aerospace.

The all-new production wings are the cornerstone of the P-3 MLU program. Lockheed Martin has 52 MLU kits under contract with six operators from four nations. To date, a total of nine MLU kits have been delivered to the U.S. Navy, U.S. Customs and Border Protection, Norway, Canada and Taiwan.

PLE Always
30th Jul 2010, 12:02
Sure new wings will buy you fatigue life and reduced inspection and maintenance costs.

Likely there is some new wiring and componentry that comes with the new wings but there is a myriad of electrical components that have been sitting in the aircraft since manufacture, just waiting to fail on pre-flight grounding you for hours if not days.

New wings on a 30+ year old airframe are a false economy from a getting the job done perspective.

The problem is you can quantify the longer fatigue life and monetary savings easily for new wings. You've got to dig a lot harder to see the real hidden cost of declining serviceability and increased maintenance due to ageing airframes (Well, the components in them).

New wings do not equal new aeroplane.

Slezy9
3rd Aug 2010, 06:38
Frank, I understand that the plan is for one squadron (10 aircraft) of P-8A's (11 Sqn) and one squadron of Global Hawk (or Mariner) UAV's (10 Sqn).

It's the other way around, 11SQN are getting the UAV's and 10SQN are getting the P-8A's.

Neptunus Rex
3rd Aug 2010, 07:30
k'n oath, my old squadron reduced to flying model aircraft!
I need a large Glenfarclas after hearing that.

Going Boeing
3rd Aug 2010, 22:19
That's two very good bites! :) Neptunus,I suggest the Glenfarclas 105 (Cask strength).

PLE Always, I agree with your thoughts re maintenance (& subsequent aircraft availability), the flip side being the suitability of the airframe/engine combination to the role. Without a doubt, the P3 is a superior platform for the LRMP role than the B737/P8.

Going Boeing
4th Aug 2010, 01:10
T3 is the P-8A program's mission-system and weapon-certification aircraft
http://www.asdnews.com/data_news/ID29574_600.jpg
(Seattle, August 2, 2010) -- Boeing [NYSE: BA] P-8A Poseidon aircraft T3 successfully completed its first flight test in Seattle on July 29. T3 is the P-8A program's mission-system and weapon-certification aircraft.

During the two-hour and 48-minute flight from Boeing Field, Boeing and U.S. Navy test pilots performed airborne systems checks including engine accelerations and decelerations, autopilot flight modes, and auxiliary power unit and engine shutdowns and starts.

In the coming weeks, T3 will join the two P-8A test aircraft currently at Naval Air Station Patuxent River, Md., and complete additional ground and flight tests.

"At Pax River, the Boeing and Navy team will use some of the ground test data we've gathered in Seattle for in-flight separation and delivery accuracy tests that will occur later this year," said Chris Ahsmann, P-8A chief engineer for Boeing.

T3 is one of six flight-test aircraft that are being assembled and tested as part of the U.S. Navy System Development and Demonstration contract Boeing received in 2004. Airworthiness-test aircraft T1 entered flight test in October 2009 and arrived at the Navy's Patuxent River facility in April of this year. T2, the primary mission-system test aircraft, arrived at Pax River in June.

The Navy plans to purchase 117 P-8A anti-submarine warfare, anti-surface warfare, intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance aircraft to replace its P-3 fleet. Initial operational capability is planned for 2013.

Source : The Boeing Company (NYSE: BA)

swh
4th Aug 2010, 01:50
What does this have to do with D&G ?

It has nothing to do with "Airline and RPT issues in Australia, enZed and the Pacific".

We have a
Military aircrew - http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew-57/
Flight testing - http://www.pprune.org/flight-testing-50/
Non Airline Transport Stuff - http://www.pprune.org/non-airline-transport-stuff-58/
Spectators Balcony (Spotters Corner) - http://www.pprune.org/spectators-balcony-spotters-corner-52/

Which are much better homes for posting Boeing PR on that have nothing to do with Airline and RPT issues in D&G.

peuce
4th Aug 2010, 02:48
Personally, I'm quite comfortable with it being here. It's quite relevant to the environment in which Australian Airline Pilots will be flying and also relevant to possible RAAF training within Australian Civil Airlines.

I suggest you don't click on it if you are not interested.

Keg
4th Aug 2010, 05:36
I agree. The P8 is a potential replacement for the AP-3C and I don't mind reading about it here. I certainly don't venture into the other forums for any information related to it.

As peuce pointed out, don't like it, don't click on it. The mods have obviously been happy with it for the last 8 pages.