PDA

View Full Version : Headset Connection Question

snapper41
28th Apr 2009, 10:29
Hi all;

This is going to probably be a dim question, but here goes:

I want to buy a good headset (probably David Clark) for use in a C42 3-axis microlight. I see that such headsets generaly have a jack-plug (push-fit) connector, but the C42 has the 'push and twist' type connector. What adaptor do I need to buy?

Zulu Alpha
28th Apr 2009, 10:41
Almost all fixed wing aircraft have the two jack plug (push pull) set up.

If you have something else then someone has fitted an all in one intercom and headset and you have to by the headset for that system. This will require getting the manufacturers name and part number from near the socket and searching... The owner will be the other source of this information.

ZA

snapper41
28th Apr 2009, 10:49
I am the owner! Well, a part-owner, anyway...

All microlights I've ever flown have had the push/twist connector - I think it might be Lynx/microavionics? I've only ever seen the 2 jack-plug on GA.

GyroSteve
28th Apr 2009, 12:52
If it has a 7-pin twist-lock socket on the headset then it will almost certainly be Lynx or Microavionics in your C42.

You can get an adapter to run a Lynx / Microavionics headset via a standard GA intercom, not sure whether it can be done the other way around. Either way it's a bit of a compromise as the set-ups are very different (Lynx and equivalents have batteries and amplifiers built in to them so that you can connect the headsets back-to-back without needing an intercom. Passive GA headsets are just a microphone and a pair of speakers).

Suggest you follow the cables on your C42 to find out whether the box at the end is Lynx or Microavionics then contact them to find out what they can do for you.

Microlight kit tends to be optimised for a different environment to GA (open cockpit / more engine noise / wind buffet on the microphone etc / use with handheld radios rather than panel mounts with intercomms).