PDA

View Full Version : Charterhall - landed there lately ?

jxc
27th Apr 2009, 07:18
As title says have you landed there lately what's it like condition etc

Cheers

Jxc

scooter boy
27th Apr 2009, 11:49
Only time I ever landed there was as an emergency in 1998 with a blown exhaust in my Europa. I was en-route from Perth to Wombleton in the cruise when the engine suddenly got noisier and I got some extra fumes in the cockpit. Bloke in a 4 x 4 rolled up, relieved me of £20 and deposited me in the nearest village.
The bit of runway I landed on was OK - there was a fence across it which I avoided tangling with. As I recall it's close to the river Tweed. There isn't much to do around there unless you want to go shooting/fishing.
Have you called the owner/operator?
They should be in Lockyear's farmstrip guide.

SB

12Watt Tim
27th Apr 2009, 13:22
I landed there a couple of years back, being convenient for Berwick. It is about 1000 m of broken tarmac about 48m wide (i.e. stardard regional airport runway width), and was at that time in good condition (I walked it all before departing). Landing fee was a cheque, sent by post. Not easy to find as there is really nothing there but the runway, so get the navigation right and perhaps check out an OS map for features to help.

jxc
27th Apr 2009, 13:58
It seem the nearest place to visit a customer in Duns

larzabell
2nd May 2009, 19:24
It was one of the stops on my cross country last summer. The runway is broken and covered in stones. There's about 3 aircraft there and not much else at all. No landing fee when I went. Not worth going really? :rolleyes:

IFollowRoads
2nd Jul 2011, 22:05
Looking for an update to this if anyone has been in since the resurfacing was carried out - for use by a Mooney (with not so much ground clearance and a short amount of suspension movement).

My understanding is that 590m of the west end of the runway has been made good, but would like some confirmation/opinions before arranging to drop in there on Friday

TIA

znww5
3rd Jul 2011, 09:33
Web info not updated since 2006: Airfield (http://www.charterhall.net/air.htm)

ukga mentions £30 landing fee and the resurfacing

AngusA888
3rd Jul 2011, 09:58
I landed there in may, 2010. The resurfaced part of the runway was fine, but elsewhere the surface was weathered with a fair bit of loose stones. We shut down and manhandled the aircraft on the parking area.

There was very little in terms of facilities/security and the airfield is a little remote.

140KIAS
3rd Jul 2011, 10:27
Friend landed there in a 182 a few weeks ago.

Echoed what has been said about the runway being resurfaced and excellent but quite rough outside that.

IIRC Landing fee was £20.

I will try and find out more.

IFollowRoads
3rd Jul 2011, 12:50
Thanks all - I'll await any further updates, but will also start on a plan B just in case

IFR

Captain Smithy
3rd Jul 2011, 14:15
30 Quid? Bloody hell. :eek:

Looked a bit rough last time I flew over it but that was before it was resurfaced.

Smithy

140KIAS
3rd Jul 2011, 16:15
Here is the word from someone who visited 3 weeks ago;

"Charterhall runway condition on new bit excellent. length is 700(?) but care needs to be taken on taxiways as there are big ruts which if a nosewheel went into might cause a propr strike. £20 landing fee."

IFollowRoads
4th Jul 2011, 04:17
Thanks 140

It is only to drop someone off, so will look at making them walk from the runway to go and be relieved of the 20 quid, and then depart immediate without venturing onto the taxiway!

IFR

ALB
4th Jul 2011, 09:59
Look at Airfield (http://charterhall.net/air.htm) for details. Map is out of date but rest is OK.

There is no one to take a landing fee and you will be asked to send a cheque.

The other thing to note if coming in at a weekend is that PPR can only be obtained Monday-Friday as it an estate office that gives it.

Taxiway is rough and the area near to the join with the 07 threshhold has some positively iffy bits but it's perfectly do-able. Just take care!

fisbangwollop
4th Jul 2011, 13:06
Scooter boy...Only time I ever landed there was as an emergency in 1998 with a blown exhaust in my Europa.

If I remember correctly you were talking to me on Scottish Info at the time you called Pan then upgraded to a Mayday.........you were asking for vectors to the closest field but no one coud see you on radar....glady you landed safely!!! :)

muffin
13th Jul 2011, 17:18
I drove past it yesterday and the windsock is still there.