PDA

View Full Version : I'm building an airfield.....

Nishko
7th Aug 2000, 13:28
Howdy.

My father-in-law has decided that it would be a great idea to build our own airfield. The location will be near Holmfirth in west Yorks, exactly depending on where we can obtain land.

Obviously, I haven't had time to look at the ins and outs of this, but can anyone tell me what the basic legal requirements are? I have no idea whether we would want it to be licensed or not etc. From what I gather, you can take off and land on any piece of land if you own it......? Provided that you don't endanger anyone.

Any thoughts?

Nish.

Sensible
7th Aug 2000, 14:05
The three most difficult things to obtain are Planning Consent, Planning Consent and Planning Consent, once you have obtained this, the rest is easy!

Nishko
7th Aug 2000, 14:21
Ahhh... but if you own the land, can't you just land and take off from it anyway?

Nish

NikeAir
7th Aug 2000, 15:31
CAP 168 (Licensing of Aerodromes) and or CAP 428 (Safety Standards at Unlicensed Aerodromes) is what you need to refer to.

NikeAir

PilotsPal
7th Aug 2000, 15:53
Nish - I suggest you get in touch with Captain Sheepdip. He has a strip close to Shobdon and I'm sure he'd be willing to have a chat with you about practical aspects of establishing a strip.

PP

Mark 1
7th Aug 2000, 20:00
Although I think what your saying is basically right, about being allowed to fly off your own land, theres a thing called the 30 day rule, which I think says that if you use land for a particular purpose (e.g. flying) for more than 30 days a year this will constituute change of use of the land and hence require planning consent.
A lot of farm strips operate on this rule, and a lot of their neighbours are chalking up the tally.
I guess any sort of commercial operation would have to get consent.

Good luck, and post again if you need letters of support.

Nishko
7th Aug 2000, 20:09
Thanks for all of your responses.

The purpose of this investigation is to assess the local need for an airfield with better facilities than Crossland Moor. Obviously, I don't want to upset anyone there, but if you fly in that area and you would like to have some more extensive facilities including a longer runway, and a hangar, then I'd be very interested to hear from you.

This is only an idea at the moment, but if the support and need is there..... who knows!

Cheers,

Nish.

OneMileHigh
8th Aug 2000, 02:55
The very best of luck on this on Nish.

Keep us informed on how you both get on. Sorry I can't offer any realistic advise myself, not being my field (sic), but Martin Jones at Derby has relatively recently achieved the minor miracle of establishing a licenced airfield, and he may well offer some constructive advise.

Nishko
8th Aug 2000, 12:49
Martin Jones at Derby. I'll try and get in touch. Anyone have a number before I start trawling the directory enquiries? ;)

Meanwhile, any feedback regarding the need for an airfield in that area?

Nish

go
8th Aug 2000, 22:40
give the pfa call at shorham..they know everything,,goodluck i think its going to be an upwind battle..

------------------

VP8
10th Aug 2000, 10:16
What's wrong with Crosland Hill just down the road, approx 3nms.

Last time there landing novel on the uphill one.. must be good for a laugh!!!

Fly Safe
VP8

300hrWannaB
10th Aug 2000, 15:02
Will your field have a quarry at the end as well as a ski ramp like Crosland? Maybe you're just satisfied with a 1000ft mast to look out for in the murk.

Seriously good luck with the venture. Phil Irish at Truro knows all about dealing with the Planners, but Mike Woodhouse at Oaksey also has had a long and expensive dialogue (battle) to keep his field on the map. The PFA is a good call at Shoreham.

They all seem to think that if you mow a 400m strip a bit close you're going to be competing for LHR traffic next.

LowNSlow
15th Aug 2000, 11:40
If the area you are thinking of is a site of special scientific interest (SSSI), an area of "outstanding natural beauty" or near an area where birds breed (the feathered kind) you have no chance. However none of the above stop the government putting up wind farms! If you can find a flat bit of Yorkshire which is none of the above and with no neighbours for a few miles then go for it. The more airfields there are the better it is for all of us. Local public relations seem to be a key issue. I've based my cub at a number of small strips over the years and the ones that have least trouble are the ones that involve themselves in the local community ie offering flypasts at local fetes etc.

------------------
CubTrek. To slowly go...

Nightstop
19th Aug 2000, 13:15
Just about everything you need to know can be found on David Ogilvy's excellent GAAC site at: http://www.gaac.co.uk/Planning/planning%20information.htm

Nishko
21st Aug 2000, 12:30
Thanks NightStop, a great contribution.

Cheers,

Nish.

VP8
22nd Aug 2000, 02:00
Hey Nish

Are you going to the fly in at Xland on

3Sep if so see you there...

brgds
VP8

Nishko
22nd Aug 2000, 12:10
I'm ashamed to say that I don't know what that is...... Please enlighten me! :)

Nish

VP8
22nd Aug 2000, 22:25
Sorry Nish

Are you going to the BBQ and Fly-in at
Crosland Moor on the 3rd sep? If so I'll
see you there....

vbrgds
VP8

Nightstop
1st Sep 2000, 18:28
Nishko, found any land suitable for your proposed airstrip yet? If so, what price per acre have you been quoted? Bet it's more than the national average of £2000/acre for arable land.

Nishko
4th Sep 2000, 12:17
Looking looking looking....... I live near Cambridge, so I am having to rely on others at the moment. I think this whole thing may be a slow process.... But looking never the less!

Nish

Buzzoff
5th Sep 2000, 03:02
If you succeed, I will fly a Cub up and pay you your first landing fee! Good luck